Play-Action Passing

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

It sucks in this game. It's making me want to go away from the pro style, since such a big part of the style is unavailable.

I've been playing with ways to make it work. Basically all of our pro guys run and run only, so I thought I'd try something.

Coverage is pretty good, and we get killed dropping back to pass. The straight back PA pass stuff has been deleted from every playbook by now.

What if we upped pass protection, and dropped the CPU pass rush? I have them at 100 for protect and 0 for rush right now, and in practice mode, the CPU still gets to me quite a bit.

Would you guys mind trying it out for me? So far, big blitzes get home, and guys still come untouched now and then, especially the safeties.

I want to encourage passing a bit. I also want us to look at what else might be affected. Mind running your style (whatever it is) and seeing if it unbalances the game?

If we can make it work, I could see getting tougher on the run. But right now, I just want the playbooks more open.

2. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Personally, I haven't had much problems with playaction... But then again, I only have time for 2 reads and that's it... The third option never gets thrown to due to time.

Again, I still like the sliders exactly where they are...

I'll give your suggestion a try though to see what happens.

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I've been playing with it because most PA passes from under center are useless - or they are, at best, and instant sack about half of the time. It's the animation that we can't interrupt - by the time we come out of it, the rush is there. Right now, none of these plays are worth calling. The boots are better, but only a little. It plays much better now, and it might be enough to get the guys throwing the ball a bit more. What I'm trying to find out now is if an adjustment like this might break the game in another area. Does it overpower screens/draws? Is the read option different now? If not, then I couls see a change like this combined with a slightly tougher running game for balance. We shouldn't be begging guys to throw the ball. Maybe this will help ... if it works.

4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I don't want to tinker too much, but you guys are rolling the CPU again, and it might be time. I've been playing with some settings (a tick here, a tick there) with these goals:
    1. Free up pro style passing.
    2. Get guys, including myself, out of "run-only" mode.
    3. Make play action a part of the game.
    4. Amp up the challenge, but just a tad.
    5. Bring the CPU pass game back to reality, and the run game up a bit.
    6. Get our sack numbers a little closer to reality.
    Here's what I've done so far:

Sliders & Settings

Difficulty: Heisman
    Quarters: 8 mins
    Speed: Normal

Threshold:10 (+10)

Attribute User CPU
    QB Accuracy 35 35 (-5)
    Pass Block 100 (+35) 50 (+5)
    WR Catching 50 45 (-5)
    RB Ability 50 55 (+5)
    Run Block 55 (-5) 55 (+5)
    Pass Coverage 55 30
    Pass Rush 65 0 (-25)
    Iinterceptions 50 25
    Rush Defense 50 45 (+5)
    Tackling 50 35 (-5)
    FG Power 50 50
    FG Accuracy 30 40
    Punt Power 50 50
    Punt Accuracy 50 50

For me, this has really opened up the playbook. I call more pass plays, and I can get a PA pass off without jamming the button the moment the animation lets me. I even took a shot at a double move, even though I almost threw a pick.

Overall, I think the game is harder, but not by much. I played Georgia as Penn State in Happy Valley. Won 31-26 while opening up the books on both sides of the ball. Only thing I saw a lot of were drops on my side, but I think I wanna leave that alone and make guys use the conservative catch setting if you want some security.

The only major change is line interaction on user pass plays. If anyone can use this to create a sure fire can't miss system, let me know. I'll repost this in the slider lab tomorrow, but for now, I want guys to weigh in on PA passing, so I thought I'd post it here. You night owls out there can do some labbing for me, if you don't mind.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jca312

jca312 Walk On

I'll give these a shot tonight, hopefully, and give you some feedback

6. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

I'll also do some major lab work this weekend. I'm excited about the potential ...

7. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Played a couple games with these, I think I've won them all. I'll take a longer look at the stats tomorrow and be able to give more in-depth feedback, but my initial impression is that it might be a bit of an overcorrection. Might be a bit too easy to pass now.