Play action rollout questions

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Vinsanity, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Walk On

Play action rollout questions

So i normally sprint with my qb side way to whichever way hes suppose to roll, then when i see someone open, stop and pass. if not then i throw it away or get tackle already.

so the question is , do you think sprinting in the rolling process not "sim" at all? i probably sprint to the sideline until i see someone open, isnt that what PA roll is suppose to do? roll ur QB to the same side as ur WR's route. i could be wrong but opening my ears to everyone.

and someone mentions the AI will get confused when we roll out, can anyone kind of make me clear on what confusion the AI will get? same person also told me because AI gets confused therefore we shouldn't sprint more than 3 yards

if you dont sprint after u roll, u are taking baby side way steps that will probably not gonna roll you that far.

just want to hear about opinions and such.

Happy holiday all!

2. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

This is one of those gray areas, where it really depends on how far left/right you are sprinting. If you go as far as the play is designed, the defense will remain in their proper AI coverage which will still lead to finding an open guy or one-on-one coverage. If you rollout too far or for too long, the AI assumes the QB is now going to run, and pulls off their coverage to pursue the QB.

Check out this example of a QB Rollout:

[youtube]p-x11YieXqk[/youtube]

I hope this helps answer your questions. Feel free to PM me if you wish to further discuss the matter.

3. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Walk On

just two questions: i thought d normally wouldn't pursuit u unless its the rushers/ the qb crosses the line.

and even if they pursuit you, isn't that just what part of football, risk or reward. (i guess we could link this to whole qb scrambling thing lol)

4. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

When the QB is way outside the pocket, the AI basically gets stuck and just kind of stops what its doin because it is still trying to defend the pass based on the angle you would be throwin from within the pocket (or near the pocket). That is why we have the excess qb scramble rule in place because it creates such a hiccup in the AI coverage.

In real life, you are absolutely correct. In this game, you can't override the AIs decision unless you start trying to control every individual manually.

So IMO, a qb rollout is still sim, as long as you only sprint to the designed termination of the rollout (of course if you are under heavy pressure, you can attempt to evade, but if your comfort bubble isnt collapsing, you shouldnt be running all the way to the sideline).. And realistically, that is the best spot for you to be throwin the most accurate pass anyway, since your WRs run their route assuming the pass is coming from that angle and not from the sideline..