Play calling

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Masler, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Masler

Masler Moderator

NextFL

I have received a varying amount of complaints about gameplay lately. The three most consistent things are:

1) Play Action in the wrong situation
    2) Screens in the wrong situation
    3) Excessive use of outside runs

I'm going to take this time to remind everyone of the site rules and to tell you if you think you are breaking this rule, you most likely are.

"O.5 PLAY-ACTION PASS

Play-action should only be used in warranted running situations. Please refrain from using play-action on a habitual basis. Keep in mind it is unrealistic to call a PA Pass when it is 3rd down and more than 10. You may call a designed PA play and audible your RB to block or go into a pattern to stop the Playaction. Playaction should not be "over utilized" when you have not established the running game. Plain drop backs or shotgun formations should be the main passing formation for throwing the ball. Playaction is used to catch a defense off guard when you've been successful and pounding the rock during the drive or game. Be aware of the intention of PA and use it as such."

Unless you have set up a successful running attack you SHOULD NOT be using Play Action.

My own opinion on screens is that I'm sick of seeing them on 2nd/3rd and long and goal line situations. Let's be realistic here that screens are very easy to pull off in this game. They are beginning to turn into money plays if someone needs a first down or a score.

And I feel pretty salty I even have to state this one regarding the outside runs but again it's becoming a crutch for a lot of people.

"O.1 OFFENSIVE PLAYCALLING

Coaches in the NFL mix up their play calling, however, when a coach sees that a team is weak in an area, they exploit it. This is legal, however, with some exceptions. Do not call the same play or pattern over and over again. If a team can't stop the run or pass, you may exploit them with a heavy dose of either one by using a number of different plays. If you've called the same play twice in a game, it's time to think twice about calling it again. Diversify and distribute the ball. QUICK SNAPPING IS PROHIBITED! ALLOW THE DEFENSE TO SET! An exception to this would be if the play clock is about to hit zero. Otherwise, a one or two second count would be sufficient.

O.2 AUDIBLES

Calling audibles at the line of scrimmage is commonplace in every level of football. Calling an audible to change to a formation which circumvents your league’s personnel rules is not allowed. When calling an audible, the offense MUST allow the defense time to adjust and be set for at LEAST one second before snapping the ball."

If there are any issues following these rules, I'm sure I can find someone who can.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Masler hopefully I am not out of place here but one other thing I would like to see guys re-visit is throwing the ball late in the game when it has gotten a bit ugly and you cannot possibly come back. When I get smacked around and I am down by 4+ scores in the 4th quarter I like to just run the damn ball and get the heck out of there with no more injuries or time taken out of my life or my opponents life. Sometimes you just have to tap the $#%# out and move on. It really sucks to be on the other end of that and keep having to defend the pass or try to run the clock down if a guy keeps chucking interceptions. It is one thing to put in a backup to get reps or try to work on some plays you don't usually call, but to keep chucking it for the sake of stats or whatever seems silly to me.That is not fun for anyone involved and I am not sure what caused this to be a trend all of a sudden.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

Thank you, it's rare I EVER have someone "put away".... but I have in the past and know exactly where you are coming from.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Two sides to everything imo, I recently got my face pounded but at the start of the third quarter put in all back ups, at QB i put my other rookie in, RB and WR, along with a couple lineman. I also subbed heavy on D.

I wanted to see what the players could do so I chucked it around some but really just kept running my regular O for the most part and ran the ball as well.

I do understand your point Dan and agree....one thing I would say if you are blowing someone out and want to avoid injuries take out your starters.

To the points Mas makes, I have seen a ton of play action at strange times and didnt think much of it at the time...thinking about it now those plays were really out of place.

Most everything can be defended pretty well in this game but if there is one play I have seen a ton of and have given up some huge plays on its screen passes...Man they can kill you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bawvu97

bawvu97 Let's Goooooo Mountaineers

Featured Threads:
    I concur with Danny AKA Danthraxxx but if I am getting my ass kicked or i am kicking someone's ass (which doesn't happen much). I have started getting on mic and saying "What do you want to do" if they say i am done ill take knees for two quarters if i have to as long as they do the same.

[​IMG]

6. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

I'd rather a guy play for a while than a kneel the ball fest for 2 quarters. IMO just run normal offense for a while and chew some clock. I played somebody once who wanted to kneel the ball for an entire half, I wanted to stick my junk in a toaster to distract myself from the pain of doing that for an entire half of TSO football.

7. BrewBomber

BrewBomber Walk On

I've been involved in a game recently where my opponent used 10 play action out of about 18 pass plays. 6 of the 8 other pass plays were screens. Its not fun to be on the other end of that. Also, when up big, maybe it can give you a chance to use more defensive plays than just a handful. I have been using smartglass and its great for keeping track of plays and tendencies of your opponent and yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bawvu97

bawvu97 Let's Goooooo Mountaineers

Featured Threads:
    I see your point Danny

9. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Does that app update if somebody calls an audible or changes the LB's to zone ? I won't speak for others but if I have a lead and want to pick up a first down to keep chewing the clock on 3rd and 8 I might call a screen vs throwing it down field 12 yards so I'm not giving the impression I'm trying to run up the score.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  10. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

yea I've never even launched the damn app during a game. I got it and opened it once, I guess I'll have to try it out now.

11. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

I am curious if it notices when I drop LB into coverage or shift my zones around , etc.

If not then I think it's pretty useless.

12. BrewBomber

BrewBomber Walk On

Does not show pre-snap adjustments

13. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Then that is going to lead to confusion for anyone I play , which I happen to be ok with. Thanks MS ;)

14. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but to me the PA that bugs me is when it's 3rd and 10+.

There are some NFL teams that use the pass to setup the run. I.E. going play action first to then have the run play be the one that's setup.

Masler your thoughts on that or is it strictly run before PA? I'll do whatever the league consensus / commish orders are, just want a clarification.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SwagKingCole23

SwagKingCole23 Walk On

I tend to set the passing game up first to open up running lanes, I've seen teams in the NFL that do it. I'm willing to change my gameplay if that is an issue

16. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

I want to smash the ball between the tackles for 4-5 yards with Tate .... But that doesn't work well so I try to run some PA 1st to get LB's on their heels a bit so I can run later.

If there is anything that needs to be addressed in play calling I feel it is the over use of pistol and shotgun runs with these tiny backs getting 6-7 yards a carry the whole game not when PA is used.

My 0.02$ on PA