Playbook suggestions?

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by hornfaninbama, Dec 9, 2011.

1. hornfaninbama

hornfaninbama GT: BulgyTexas

I have to change, I have been trying for 2 seasons to jam a square peg through a round hole with Martinez, with a pro attack. And this past season I signed 2 5star WR who will let me go to a spread. I can't use my custom PB, or I would. I need a true team PB. Here's my roster.

QB- Martinez 92 Ovr. Decent passer, I have a lot more success out of the gun than under center. Threw more int than TD last year. Went to a spread PB in the bowl and I went 16-22 for 3 TD and no int.

RB- Davis, 6'2 262. Wanted to go flex and use him as the FB, but his speed was over our limit. Has enough speed to take it from 60 or so (90). 84 ovr as a true soph. 1500 yards and 15 TD last year in a pro style. Breaks a lot of tackles and hits the hole quicker than you'd think.

RB2- Gore. 83 Ovr. True soph. 1200 and 15TD last year as the change of pace. Averaged about 8 ypc. I like to get him in space to use his speed. Used him and davis as a thunder and lightning last year and was very successful. But I couldn't hit dropback passes with martinez. Once they keyed on the run game I was shut down.

WR- Smith 79 ovr. True freshman. I promised PT to get him so he's #1 on the depth chart. Posession guy with decent speed (90).
    WR- Bell 85 RS Soph. Best WR on the team balanced with 92 speed. Great hands.
    WR- McDonald 79 ovr. True freshman. Speed guy with great hands and route running. Highest potential guy on the offense.
    WR- Fountain 78 ovr. True soph. 6'4 posession guy. Great hands subpar route running. Made the all B1G as a true freshman from the slot.
    WR- a few directions I could go with #5. I have a 6'5 true freshman with 95 speed and great hands, but no other good skills he's a 74. And a few RS freshman and sophomores between 74 and 77. None of them have any standout skills or size.

TE- Donald and Ransom- These 2 are the same guy only difference is Ransom has 1 inch and 20 lbs on the 6'3 235lb Donald. 78 ovr. True freshman. 84 speed. Good balanced guys. Great receivers and blockers.

Have been messing around with Tulsa, Clemson, MS State, and Auburn. Would like to get both RB involved in the run game and use martinez there also. But I know I have to be able to throw it. I do well with concepts. Mesh, Flood, 4 verts and Smash. Any ideas on a good one to use that will truly let me spread the ball to everyone on offense?

2. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

hornfaninbama

BYU - It's an air raid book with pro style formations and a bunch of 2 back shotgun sets to give you the ability to get all these guys on the field for a decent amount of plays per game. It'll give you the spread passing concepts you're looking for which are the best in the air raid books in this game (IMO because the passing concepts have the best spacing that helps combat the ridiculousness of the passing game). It also gives you a couple I-formation and strong I sets that will allow you to get Davis touches in the red zone. Then there's the two back shotgun sets which is pretty much what this book is known for.

The other books you've mentioned have been primarily spread option books though and you won't find a lot of that with BYU if that's what you're looking for. If you still want the spread option but want better passing schemes try looking at Louisville. I haven't looked at them this year but last year they had one of the best passing attacks out of the spread option books IMO.

3. The Dude

The Dude Professor of Dudanomics

BYU is a good book. Another thing you might consider - many shotgun sets allow you to put a back int a slot position, which you can then use to run them on the jet sweep, or a number of other option run plays. If you like concepts, the Jet Sweep/PA Jet Sweep/Motion WR Option and the PA Passes off that might work. I think you can find a lot of this stuff in the Oregon and TCU books, and there's a bunch of Pistol sets with this stuff also - ACE Twin TE, Twin TE Slot, Wing Over, even Slot has a few. Something to consider, perhaps. You can run the same concepts out of a number of different sets, which is what I think you're looking to do.

4. hornfaninbama

I've been screwing around with this all day. The ones I have found that I like the most are Temple and Rice. I have found mesh and levels in every formation in Rice's book. Plus it has 2 I forms and 2 ace forms. Its got enough spread option to keep me happy, an enough passing concepts where I know the reads and don't have to learn them on the fly. I tried BYU, but it didn't have the option game I was looking for. Martinez needs to be a run threat for me to throw it, and the 2 backs I have need to be involved. I appreciate the help. I've got a user game tthis weekend I'll let you know how it went.

5. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Take a look at LSU or FSU close to the same PB but tigers have a lil more ace and another I formation and I think the pistol is different

6. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

Figured I'd post my playbook question here: Basically what's happening is that one of my leagues might go away from allowing custom Playbooks to requiring me to pick one myself. So I want to get out ahead of that ask about a playbook that fits my style before I get blindsided.

What I'm looking for is a combination of a spread option as the primary way to move the ball, but then a fair amount of pro/regular sets for a more power running game.

My main formations are Shotgun: 4-WR Trio, Trio HB Wk, Wing Offset, Split Twins, Ace F Wing Trips and Strong I Twins and Normal. I'll be going through the spreadsheets to see which playbooks have those and go from there.

But any suggestions from the TSO crowd'd be much appreciated.

7. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

Clemson is the best Power Spread book in the game imo

Edit: Pitt also has a good blend of Spread and Power run formations as well

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Baron

Just took a look at Clemson and wow, it's basically my playbook minus the Offset and Regular I formations. Thanks man.

9. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

No problem, I fell in love with that book when the Custom PBs were glitchy and unusable

10. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ┬┐Te quieres naranjas?

Here's a really good site that I have been glued to. NCAA Playbooks 12 you can search for formations and which teams PB has them

• Like Like x 1
  11. hornfaninbama

I went with Rice in my game this weekend and got lit up. I couldn't get anything going, some of that was that I wasn't familiar with the playbook and the rest of it was that I couldn't get the run game going. I found Wake Forest PB yesterday, and it looks like it fits what I want. It has the spread running game for me to get Gore involved running. 4 I forms for Davis, 3 SG splits to get them both on the field at the same time. Plus it has the TO from 3 of the 4 I Forms wher I can put the big boy at FB and let him pick up 4 yards at a time. Throw in several WR heavy sets and it looks like my PB of choice.

• Like Like x 1
  12. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Have you checked out BU's playbook at all? 4 singleback forms, 2 I form, 1 strong I, 2 pistol, and a bunch of shotgun form. Only one 2 back form in the gun, but with form subs, you can do a lot with these formations. I have Ganaway and Salubi season 1, and will have Salubi and Seastrunk season 2. Ganaway is almost identical to your guy Davis. Bruiser that has the accel to run the read.

13. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

Check out Penn State

14. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

Temple playbook

15. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I want to know why the hell you want to pass the ball when you ran for 30 TD's and 2700 yards last year? Martinez would run the option a bit to keep the defense honest on the edge and I'd work the play action game.

16. hornfaninbama

I have a real problem getting any sort of passing game going at all from under center. I get jittery in the pocket dropping from under center. Plus last season when I couldn't get the passing game working I got stomped. I don't wanna throw it 50 times a game, but I need to keep the defense honest and not let them load the box with 9 and 10 defenders. My ideal scenario is 20 carries for each back, and 15 passes by Martinez. My defensive skills are far from stellar, so when I get behind by 2 scores I know I have to throw it to get back in, which leads to short drives and a bigger hole. I have had limited success this season with the spread stuff so I may go back to the downhill run game shortly. I have had more trouble throwing in the game than ever before. I used to run an Air Raid offense and tore people up with it. I know how to pass, but I can't this year for some reason. I am currently on an 8 game user v user losing streak.

17. Baron

I had this sort of problem too, and the best advice I got was that this year, you have to throw to the guy who is GOING to be open, not the guy that is open. I know that sounds patronizing, but when I consciously think about that during games, things go better for me. Usually.

If you're doing that already well... hopefully someone else better at the game can help you.

18. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    A lot of people struggle to pass this year, me included. In The Deuce, we play on Heisman so passing can be very difficult. At first I was trying to run the Run and Shoot and did so poorly passing for 2 seasons that I switched my offense to the fleXbox One, where I had a lot more success. After 3 seasons of the fleXbox One (where I passed VERY little) I moved to Northwestern, who didn't have the talent to run the fleXbox One. So, I actually went to the Air Raid. In past NCAA's I've been a very good passer but I was a react and throw quarterback. After throwing damn near 50 interceptions in my first year of the Air Raid, I decided I needed to learn to pass instead of giving up.

I'm a football junkie, so I understand the concepts that make the Air Raid successful, but I wasn't applying them. Going back to the drawing board, here is what I did.

1) Learn 5-6 passing concepts. I suggest:

1) Mesh
    2) Stick
    3) Smash
    4) Shallow (Y and Z)
    5) 4 Vertical
    6) Under (Levels)

Also the screens, bubble, jailbreak, etc.

Learn what 3x1, 2x2, mean and how to run the concepts out of both.

Once you understand what they are supposed to achieve, learn how to run them. Go to practice, pick a play (for example Mesh), select a coverage and practice against random plays from that coverage. Repeat for each coverage (2 Over, 3 Over, 4 Over, Man Under, etc). Soon or a later you will be able to diagnose coverage. Learn what is effective against each type. Learn to audible to take advantage of the coverage. Learn to check to a run when you have a numbers advantage in the box.

Finally, if you are looking to pass the ball better think about this: you need an accurate quarterback, especially in the Air Raid.:)

If you want to mix in some QB power stuff, look at Lousiana Tech's playbook.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Can you explain the concepts of the Mesh, Shallow and what you mean by 3by1 and 2by2 (are those wr groupings?)

Theres always room to learn more I figure.

20. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

Yes

21. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Shaun's probably busy.....

3x1 / 2x2 is the formation setup. 2 x 2 = 2 WR's on each side of the formation. 3 x 1 = three WR's on one side, one on the other.

Shallow is one of the primary concepts of the air raid. You'll see these plays riddled throughout the air raid books (x shallow cross, y shallow cross, & z shallow cross). The basic concept is the tagged WR runs a drag route while a WR on the other side of the formation runs a dig route behind it putting the LB's in a lose lose situation. The untagged WR's usually go deep. If it's a slot WR like in the X/Z shallow crosses, the slot (Y) will run a wheel route and the split end on the other side will run a go our post route. Both these routes are designed to take the safeties with them. The first read is typically a hot read on the go routes, it's an immediate read and is either thrown immediately or the QB comes down to the drag route. If the LB's step up on the drag route, the QB hits the dig route 10 yards deep behind them. It's a perfect passing scheme that creates vertical and horizontal stretching of the defense.

One of the things that makes the air raid so effective is the simplicity of it. Air Raid teams will typically run these plays over and over and over with the same terminology but tag a different receiver from time to time. Just like the shallow series, it's all the same play and concept but by changing the tag of X/Y/Z shallow cross you have 3 different plays. It's extremely easy to understand and very easy to execute quickly....i.e. the no huddle. Also plays can be quickly modified by adding another tag. For example, X shallow cross Z post. Now it's the same play but instead of both the Y and Z running go routes now the Z WR will run a post.

While I think the shallow cross series is effective against all defenses, I find mesh to be most effective against man to man, especially in NCAA games. The mesh concept is used to create a rubbing / picking effect with two WRs to gain separation from their defenders. This can work against zone too, but obviously there's nobody to rub and it requires the WR's to find a hole in the zone and settle in. The basic mesh creates a vertical stretch on the defense by typically sending the X & Z WR's deep on go routes, post routes, etc. anything to take the safeties deep. Then from a 2 x 2 formation the two slot WR's will run drags over the middle crossing one another in an attempt to create separation for one of the DBs. The QB's first read is typically the deep safety. If the safety is up, the QB can take his shot at hitting the post behind the coverage. If the safety is back, the QB takes his drop and watches the mesh occur hitting which ever WR comes open.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hope that helps. Also, just to point out, the air raid concepts have found their way into playbooks at all levels from high school to the pros.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
    • Like Like x 5
  22. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Well said Gators. I understand the concepts but as my TD - Int ratio shows I struggle implementing it in my gameplay. Good thread.

23. The Natural

The Natural Public Enemy #1

This thread was a really good read. I am getting bored with my current playbook and might try a few of the ones recommended here.

24. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

Good stuff guys. If you're still looking for a PB and want it to be Air Raid I would have to strongly suggest Arizona's PB. It is Air Raid, has all the SG you could need, and also has some good ACE, I Form, I Form Tight, and Strong I so you don't have to give up the power run game with a very versitile spread playbook.

That was my biggest complaint with some of the other AR books is that you just can't go to that power game on short yardage or end of game situations. Arizona is worth taking a look at if you've ever had the same dilemma.

25. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Arizona is for people who haven't committed to the 'Raid.