Playcalls

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by GoGators, Jul 31, 2010.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Playcalls

Wanted to hear what you guys are doing since we're at about the mid point of the season.

I applaude EA for this years game. It's a huge upgrade from last year and while it does seem that all plays have at least a chance of working, some just don't make much sense to call or don't have enough options or high enough chance of working to use it. This is particularly true on defense.

So my question is, given we're running close to 60 plays per game on offense and the same on defense, how many different playcalls do you estimate you're using?

2. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

In last year's Madden EA's data logs said players typically only called like 13-18 plays over the course of a game. I think it's still sort of like that in NCAA this year.

I would estimate I'm running around 20 different playcalls on offense per game. Reason being that a lot of stuff still doesn't work right and while I'd like to mix it up and run bubble screens or WR screens, it seems that every time I call one against the CPU they line up in bump and run man coverage, even though they play zone the rest of the time (cpu can read my lips when I send the play in damnit!)

On defense it's the same story. I feel that a lot of the blitzes have very little chance of hitting home in time and the cpu QB never really gets confused by them, always finding the soft spot in the blitz before getting sacked. (Although it's more realistic this year than last as it's not robo QB style).

3. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I call WAY more than 13-18 plays per game...there is a lot of variety when you throw the ball 50 times a game.

4. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I probably call 10-12 different running plays alone out of 5-7 different sets. I throw out of all the sets and rarely call the same passing play twice.

5. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I'd say right now I'm using about 60% of my overall playbook each game. The Rutgers book has a ton of bubble screens (that I don't trust and don't use) and I'll admit there are a few pass route combos that I'm not entirely comfortable with and I won't use them if the game is tight. I definitely am running more than 13-18 total plays on offense.

On defense, I am running less straight zone than any time in the past 3 NCAA games. The only way I can stop the CPU is to apply pressure, so I'm generally running some form of man or a blitz/zone blitz concept most of the time. I try changing up where the blitzes come from, but to Gators point, the CPU QB's seem to find the holes pretty easily.

6. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

With the amount of running i am doing, I call different running plays from every set, including Shotguns then the passing plays, im all over the board...... i try to call plays so i dont become predictable....

defensively, the 3-4 is beautful because you can really mix and match zone/blitz to man zone schemes..... so the play may look similar but a tweak here or there and the zone may look the same but the pressure could be coming from someone else....