Player Min Speed Threshold Slider Research

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by MorsDraconis, Jul 15, 2010.

1. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

Player Min Speed Threshold Slider Research

Played around with the Min Speed Threshold some in practice with WVU as both teams.

Edited Brunetti to have 99 throwing accuracy and power (best case scenario stuff)

Put Tevon Austin (94 spd and 96 acc) in at WR2 against the slowest DB WVU has on the roster (64 ovr FS Darwin Cook with 86 spd and 88 acc) and ran streaks with Austin with no help coverage (one on one coverage).

The throw is always no pressure lofting it up (to give the receiver some room to run underneath the pass and create a bit more separation).

On Heisman Difficulty, I'm not noticing ANY difference at all on Heisman. At 50 and at 0, Cook still occasionally gets beat, but never gets absolutely blown away like you think he should with a disparity of 8 points in speed and acceleration.

So, next, I edit Cook to only have 80 speed and acceleration and leave the speed threshold at 0.

Even with this setting, sure, Tevon always beats him (if you take control of him and hit speed burst) but it's still not the drastic difference in speed that you would expect 94/96 and 80/80 to represent.

Leads me to believe that Heisman is giving the CPU unnatural boosts in speed.

Next, I try it on Freshman with the final setup to see if there's any difference.

And I FINALLY see the separation that you would think as it's finally a 5 yard separation or so between them. But it's on FRESHMAN difficulty...

Next I push the pass coverage slider up to 100 to see if there's a difference.

And no, there's no difference between the two, even with the slider all the way up.

Next, I put the speed difference slider back at 50 to see if it's just the difficulty change making the difference.

And it appears to not make a bit of difference at 50. Still beating him by 5 yards of separation on Freshman difficulty.

Next I up it to 100 on the slider to see if there's any difference at all.

And it too doesn't make a difference.

So, from this we've learned two things:

1 - Difficulty causes a DRASTIC change in the abilities of the players on the field.

2 - The speed min/max threshold slider APPEARS to do nothing at the moment.

Tried the last setup (100 CPU Pass Coverage, 100 Min Threshold slider, same players and play setup) but on Varsity, All-American, and Heisman.

Varsity: 4 yards of separation

All-American: 3 yards of separation

Heisman: 2 yards of separation

Conclusion: Difficulty most definitely has a drastic effect on the ability of the player to keep up with faster players but the Player Min Speed Threshold Slider appears to have little to no effect on coverage.

2. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

In my testing with the Min Speed Threshold on the practice field, I've notice the difference more with players on the LOS vs Skills players. I was using AA...

Run a toss play, or sweep player at 50 Threshold on AA.... Observe how quickly the D-Line gets to the spot, the O-line and the RB (Try to use a RB with high speed).... Then lower the Threshold down to about 20 and run that exact same play.... you will see the RB getting to the spot a tad bit faster that the d-line... also if the D-line has high speed you will see him get to the spot faster than the slow pulling guard....

That's where I started noticing some of the subtle changes. Also if you play a team like Miami vs FAU, you will notice the overall team speed more. Play with and without it and I think you will see some changes.

3. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Our Research Differs... I'll Post My Findings Once I Get Off Work

Role Model

4. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I dropped it down to 40 and noticed that my HB was able to get around the edge a bit better. Need to do some further testing to make sure that HBs that should get outside do and others are run down.

5. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

That is the definition of Heisman mode. It increases CPU ratings and lowers the ratings of human controlled players to create a more difficult game situation.

(this is why in the past you'd have 86 speed DEs running down 91 speed running backs from behind - because those ratings aren't really showing up on the field).

Freshman is the opposite. Your players are getting ratings boosts with the computer having their ratings lowered to make the game very easy. this is why you saw the drastic increase on Freshman.

6. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Few thoughts on this.

First I think the speed threshold is going to be tweaking the game down to fractions of a second, and going to be very hard to judge on a one-on-one situation like the above is trying to do.

Really i think you're oversimplifying the whole thing. And the fact we're not looking at agility as part of this is a concern as well - a speed boost plus the ability to cut quicker than a defender can be a huge deal more so than a WR just trying to run straight down the field against a CB that has a five yard cushion.

The difference is going to be subtle. things like a guard not being able to get outside a DE on a pitch and not being able to totally bottle him up. Or an RB not quite being able to blow through the hole before it closes. Or a DE not being able to cover the sideline against a scrambling QB.

7. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

This is what I was gonna point out...

8. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

The issue with that, and the reason why I didn't go that route, is because it's MUCH harder to quantify the differences because there are so many deciding factors that can cause the play to work or not beyond just the speed threshold.

There's the lineman making their blocks, there's the defensive lineman breaking theirs, there's the linebacker reading the play quicker one play compared to the next, there's the defensive lineman pushing a lineman back into the play one time and not the next.

There's just too many variables for there to be a valuable way to test the slider when it comes to running the ball even if you do the same play on both sides of the ball over and over again.

That is why I went with a more controlled environment to test out the slider.

9. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    What if you ran the same tests with a toss play out of say an ACE formation against a 4-4 defense to test the OLB closing as the HB makes his way towards the sideline. If the OLB is on the outside and doesn't get blocked, it should provide a straight forward enough result.

10. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Do sliders even work in practice mode?