Players Leaving Draft

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by majesty95, Jul 11, 2012.

1. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

I've been testing numerous things as I prepare for my roster edit. One of the things I was looking at is how the draft works at the end of the season. I've noticed some interesting things.

First, the draft AI does not favor undercalssmen in the least. As you can see in the spreadsheet below, juniors are really not prevalent until what would be day three of the draft.

[​IMG]

Also, you can tell that the draft has issues.

First, there are no DTs drafted at all, EVER. Second, there are more players drafted in the 7th round than any other round. This could be overlooked, since there are usually compensatory picks in later rounds, accept than no other round has what would be a standard 32 selections in it.

I believe the sim engine actually drafts DTs (and may even calculate them for "pro potential" purposes) but just does not display them for some reason. However, this hasn't been tested.

The second thing that is interesting is the heavy, heavy preference for seniors. I'm not sure if it is due to it being so easy to convince underclassmen to stay or what, but almost all of the top juniors do not get drafted. The below spreadsheet shows that.

[​IMG]

This is a list of the top rated players at each position on the default roster (a couple of players received minor edits for testing purposes). The numbers indicate the player's overall rating. A Jr or So indicate an underclassmen and the highlighted players indicate those who were selected in the draft.

As we can see, almost all of the top underclassmen stayed put (or went undrafted. I haven't resimmed to verify that they returned for season 2).

I'm not sure that this means a hill of beans to most players. They will probably enjoy that their star juniors can be easily swayed to stay. However, for us sim gamers that like an accurate representation of real life, it is perplexing. I guess I could buy that EA didn't want the casual gamer to complain about always losing their star players to the draft. Its a fine line to walk I imagine...

Thought I would share with everyone and get y'alls input.

2. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

For comaprison purposes, here is a list of the top players at each position in season 6 (when all of the players come from computer generated recuits) with those that were drafted highligted.

[​IMG]

Here we see far less juniors among the top players at their position. However, we also see quite a few top level seniors that went undrafted. I need to test this more though. I'm not sure if this is a bug or the sim engine not accounting for players who dont have NFL "measurables" like a QB with a weak arm or who is short, a small HB, etc. I think it would be cool if it excluded guys like that (although guys like Denard Robinson would get drafted for another posistion) but I'm more concerned that it is a bug. If anyone else has time to test that out, I'd love to see the results...