Players Leaving Mercy Rule

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I know I seem to come up with rules to fit my own predicaments, but I honestly didn't think about this one until I was in a position to be affected by it. Here goes:

I am graduating 22 guys. I should be able to recruit that many, if not a full 25, which got me thinking. If I lost four to the league and/or transfers, it's possible that I couldn't field a full team next year no matter what I do.

What if we allowed swaying for guys who numerically can't hit the 70 player number, starting at the lowest rated player leaving? So, if I lose four, graduate 22, that's a total loss of 26, or one more than I can recruit. I don't know how often this happens, or if the CPU allows it to happen at all, but if it did, I could see letting a guy sway a guy back under those circumstances. My guess is that the CPu would compensate with a transfer, but that's just a guess.

It's a really small thing, but I thought it might be worth a few posts, so I put it up.

2. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I really see no problem with this scenario in terms of balance of power goes. Just keep us posted as to what happens when we go through the offseason.

Also Arch...how many guys are we allowed to sign? I know I ask this every year but I don't want to make a mistake.

3. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits 352

I throw something a little more drastic out there: why not allow everyone to sway regardless? We implemented this in Chaos and are really enjoying it. Sometimes you might be poised to make a title run, but losing a couple of key juniors can kill that. Some guys will still go pro, but I think that we see players deciding to stay more and more. In other words, I do not think it is "un-sim."

We did this in Chaos mainly because the sliders are REALLY hard. I have not implemented this in my own league mainly because the sliders are too easy IMO, but that is what the guys in my league prefer.

Just a thought. I know we allow teams to recruit to 75, so that would probably need to be examined as well.

4. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

So we recruit to 75? Good! I have 16 scholarships then instead of the 11 I was recruiting towards. I have 10 signed right now, so I can still make a splash on a 5 star or two in the offseason.

5. Goose

Goose Walk On

I agree that allowing us to sway is not "un-sim". In another league I'm in we can sway and I've had guys still go. It's a decision that each coach should make, if you sway it hurts you in that first week of recruiting, which is usually very crucial for new recruits.

6. the_rhinoceros

the_rhinoceros Walk On

I'd rather allow everyone to sway than give teams a pass because they screwed up their graduation class. Ha! I think part of the challenge of the game is to manage your red shirts wisely and be graduating 15-18 players each year. So yeah. I vote for everybody sways.

7. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

It's not typical that a coach will haul in more than a few player's during the off-season. So it's a no-brainer to try and swing your 90 overall QB, LB, or DE if he's looking to go pro. I'll pay those hours everytime.

I agree that it's not necessarily un-sim to sway players. It's a built-in part of the game, and I understand why other leagues would allow it. I do, however, feel that by not swaying players, you get a more realistic gaming experience. If a player has a great year and wants to take off, he most likely will. If you "stack" talent and don't play guys, they'll want to transfer. Breaking promises will do the same.

Keep in mind also that over time, it's hard for the CPU to compete with human players. The annual turnover that comes each off-season provides a more even playing field.

Lastly, there's a bug that eventually hits every league. It doesn't allow coaches to load the decisions of players once they've decided to stay and not transfer. In the Crop, it started with one (me), and now almost affects every coach. The longer you play, the more funky things you see from the game. If this affects one or two guys in our league, it's just another reason to make it it fair and keep things the way they are ..

8. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Because of what Ego says I vote NO to swaying.

9. Goose

Goose Walk On

But swaying guys it is no longer automatic that they will stay. I've had guys still want to leave and there goes an hour down the drain. Personally I don't care either way, I spread the wealth and not many guys want to leave Coach Goose.

10. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I get you but what happens if the sway glitch takes hold? How would it be fair that one guy losses his players while others can keep theirs? I know we can make a change once this occurs but what about that first time? When someone losses a top player to the glitch and all others get to keep theirs? Is that competitive balance? I don't think it would be, and for that reason I have to say no.

Like you said Goose, we have learned to spread the wealth around. I am a testament for this, I have two backs who are close to 700 yards rushing each and their back up has about 400. I could hit 2000 with Simpson but spreading the wealth is actually more fun and will ensure he comes back next season. That is a far cry from the Lattimore days back in August. I know your team has plenty of similar situations because I check out your stats from time to time.

11. egofailure

I'm pretty sure I have the glitch in this league, too. Last off-season, I tried to deny a kid that wanted to transfer to my school, but it wouldn't load. So I had to take him. Same crap happens in the Crop. Swaying players trying to go Pro works/loads, but nothing involving transfers.

12. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Well if we need to make a rule change it might be about transfers not hurting your recruiting numbers. I don't think it is fair for one of your 75 spots being "forced" on you by a glitch in the system.

13. bdub

bdub Walk On

We shouldn't be swaying guys to stay in my opinion. The CPU teams get worse and worse every year while we get better and better. If we start swaying guys it will put us even more out of whack.

While we are talking about glitches, it seems the bad kicker issues have struck the ACC this year. The last two teams I have faced have missed every extra point they have tried.

14. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

That isn't a glitch it is more of a reality of they cannot sign any one because the game doesn't create enough kickers, and we scoop up all the decent ones.

15. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

In the end, we're all going to field really strong teams every year, and even if we tried to compensate for the drop-off between user and CPU now, it wouldn't show any results until the release of the next game, or close to that time.

I think letting us sway guys would add to that gap, and I don't really want to do that. Not to mention, not letting us sway gets us through one more step of the off-season quickly.

But I would like to see swaying be a part of the game, just because I think it's fun. What if we gave one to every team that doesn't win a conference/division championship? One guy, and only if you didn't win the league. That way, teams on the outside looking in could get a shot at reloading for the next year, and champs have to suffer the mass exodus to the league. ND could get one in every non-BCS year. That might be fun. The SEC East and West champs don't get one, and the ACC Coastal and Atlantic champs don't get one, and the Big Ten champ is out also. 2 sways per conference. How would that be?

16. bdub

bdub Walk On

Sounds good to me

17. thatguy188

thatguy188 You know ... THAT guy.

Are sways guaranteed? Like if you want to sway somebody to come back, do they automatically come back or is there a chance that they still won't?

18. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

There's a chance they still won't.

Also, if you play your game tonight, I'll play mine and advance. We're the last two.

19. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

The sway player glitch is only with transfers. I was in CoC and you couldnt sway transfers it wouldnt let u transfer the file back if you swayed them to stay. If its a vote, Id vote to sway away as that is truely Sim, if Andrew Luck will stay, even though he would be the #1 pick then anyone should able to be swayed

20. thatguy188

Im playing it right now. (I should actually go to bed but I don't wanna miss a week lol)

21. thatguy188

Damnit .... remind me to NEVER play again when tired. Its not even end of 3rd and im behind 31-9 ..... lmao.

Its literally impossible to stop UGA running game, and impossible for me to run, simply out-talented I think. I've never seen so many broken tackles by their HB before its unreal. At least 2 every single run lol

22. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I agree with the concept, but we're still dealing with a CPU that doesn't recruit very well, so our teams will likely just be that much more loaded. Maybe sway away, but Heisman recruiting? No restrictions at all?

That's a conversation for its own thread, but it could be the best of both worlds.

• Like Like x 1
  23. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

Ya, that makes sense with easier recruiting your teams will have lots of guys ready to play anyways

24. egofailure

No swaying of transfers, though? Aside from the bug, it's really the only way to punish coaches who promise the world to win on recruits, yet don't follow through.

25. bdub

bdub Walk On

I agree no swaying transfers.