Playing Multiple QB's

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by GoGators, Nov 12, 2009.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Playing Multiple QB's

Hey guys, Killa brought this up in the Locker Room thread. So I wanted to get some feedback on how we want to handle this in the league.

Both Killa and I (and maybe others) have 2 quarterbacks that we'd like to get on the field this year. 1's a pocket passer, the other's a runner.

The TF rule states that you are NOT allowed to change QB's on a play by play basis.

So I wanted to know how you guys feel about a couple ways of handling this.

1) QB's can be rotated in on a per drive basis

2) QB's can lay claim to certain formation/packages. i.e. Chris Leak/Tebow in `06. Tebow came in to run Gator heavy and short yardage plays.

Let's get some discussion going. I don't want any cheeze!!!

2. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

You see it done all the time at all levels, where QB's come in and out during the same series. That's why it is available in every formation as a package (QB 2). I don't see a problem with it. Plus why would someone complain that everytime so and so subs in his QB 2 they run the option. At least you know its a run.....now just line up and stop it.

Just my 2 cents.

3. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

Yeah. I am thinking of just having 1 shotgun package and 1 ace package for my pocket guy.....otherwise I'll stick to the scrambler.

Sound fair?

4. GoGators

In response to Hokie, while you do see it used on Saturdays, the issue in the game is that you can't tell which QB is coming onto the field at the play call screen from a defensive stand point. This puts the defense at disadvantage.

If you go 5 wide with your running QB I'll call a different defense than I would if you had your pocket passer in. But in NCAA you can't tell. That's what the issue is.

I just want to get everyone on the same page so that when somebody does something during the season, nobody has any right to cry foul unless it's truly warranted.

On the flip side of this though is you really can't tell when a guy is going to run Wildcat w/his HB at QB. Or in the UF playbook I can use my HB or WR at QB in some formations. So I would pressume it's not that much different than those instances.

Let's figure this out as a league though.

5. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I'm quoting this just to reiterate the point that a lot of people don't get. Yes this is done in real NCAA, but Michigan's opponents can see when Tate Forcier comes off the field and when Denard Robinson comes in. They know that Michigan runs the ball 80% of the time when Denard is in there so the D gears up to stop the run.

In NCAA '10, the D has absolutely no idea which of my QBs is in the game until they see them on the field. By then, it's too late. If I want to call a 5-2 or a 4-4 against Robinson in NCAA '10, by the time I see it's him @ QB, it's too late for me to get that personnel in the game, whereas in real football, it isn't.

Also, to address what Gator said about the wildcat, sometimes you can't, but the vast majority of the time, you can tell when someone called a wildcat.

1. I'm pretty sure that any team without fleXbox One, wishbone, or maryland I in their playbook (and in this OD we know our opponent's playbooks) that has 3 RBs in the game is almost certainly in the wildcat.

2. I use MSU's pb for Michigan and I have the 2 formations that UF has where they can put a HB behind the center. In gator heavy wildcat, that's 2 TE, 4 RB (or 3 TE, 3 RB if they have a TE @ FB#2). 2+4 or 3+3 = 6 = No QB on the field. The empty backfield set with a HB in there is (I think) 1 TE, 1 RB, 4 WR (again, 1+1+4 = 0 QB).

3. In the wildcat spread (and I don't think this is true of the normal wildcat) there's 1 package where the personnel looks normal, (1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE) which has a WR behind the center. To my knowledge, that's the only formation with a non-QB behind the center that isn't noticeable from the playcalling personnel.

My point is that for probabaly 90% of the "wildcatish" formations it's very easy to tell from the personnel what they're doing. With QB#2 package subs, it's impossible to tell, even though they both will cause you to change up your defense before the snap.

Whew!

That being said, I'm fine with either:
    1. The QBs can only be used on a drive by drive basis. If you bring in your speedster, he's in there for the whole drive. 3rd and 20? Too bad. He stays in.

or

2. One of the QBs is assigned some formations. The tricky thing with this is choosing which formations. If I want to use my speedster in slot F wing, that's 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE. That means that I'd need to use the speedster for every 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE formation, otherwise my opponent can't tell. A better scenario, from MSU's playbook would be to use the speedster for my wildcat spread formation. That is, however, 2 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE again. I'd bet dollars to donuts that if we chose this option, we'd end up missing formations where the personnel told the defense "speedy guy" but it was a different formation and you've still got your pocket passer in there.

Based on those 2 above, I think that #1 is easily the better solution.

Also, against me personally, if we're using a MIC, I have no issue with my opponent switching up their QBs on a play by play basis as long as they tell me over the MIC ahead of time "my QB#2 is running this play." "My #1 QB is back in the game." I do that in my MIC games when I'm going to be going for it on 4th down so he doesn't call a FG defense before I call my play. Obviously, this would have to be set up before the game.

6. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

I see the point about defense play selection.....but jello kinda solved this dilema with a very simple solution. Wear a mic. I am in another league where a mic is mandatory. That is especially important in sim style leagues, so any discrepencies can be addressed immediatley instead of pausing and trying to type a message.

Cause it kinda would stink to be forced to keep a player on or off the field in situations like the one stated: have to keep scrambling QB in on 3rd and long.

I think if you know you are going to be rotating QB's just let your opponent know beforehand and either wear a mic or have set formations for your opponent to key on. Not sure why everything needs to be an elaborate discussion.

We really haven't heard anyone call foul on anything the past 2 seasons that I know of. I am sure that the 2 QB rotation will not be abused and not be an issue with anyone. (fingers crossed)

7. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

I will go this way if everyone agrees its easy to understand. I am using KSU playbook this season. I have one package with 3TE in it (very different from anything else), and a package with 4WR & 1TE. Those packages will be th only time that I use Patrick Bryant (slow guy) all other time I will use Star Jackson (fast guy)

I don't mean to make a big deal about it, I am just Uber-sensitive about not wanting to be a Cheeser. I'll post this in the playbook forum as well.

8. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

I will be playing 2 QBs as well this year

9. lilmaggie

lilmaggie Rocky Top Tennessee

Well, I don't like it foe the simple fact that I can't tell from the play calling screen who is in thegame. And I won't remember the forations that you guys have listed as #2 guy in game. But as long as it is done as SIM style as possible, I guess. But the first big blow-up over this ad we will not allow it anymore.

10. Quagmire34

Quagmire34 Guest

I won't put up a fuss either way. I think if you have the "weapons", you should use 'em. I understand the point that has been made in that you can't tell which QB is coming in from the play calling screen, but we also have a league rule that allows the D to adjust and settle before the snap, right?

On another note, I always have my mic plugged in. I like the chatter. More so the "Watch this, punk" versus the "I'm gonna put my scrambler in now. That okay with you?".

11. GoGators

I think the mic thing would work best. Secondary to that, I think declaring a gameplan or certain situations would work better than formations. IMO.

So, for UF for example, I'd say I'll use the guy inside the red zone and on short yardage situtations, i.e. 2nd, 3rd, or 4th down and < 3yds to go.

I think those a pretty realistic scenarios. I know Killa's won't be a problem because his fast guy will be #1 on the depth chart and he'll only bring in the slow guy to pass on some situations.

I'm not sure what Hova has in mind.