Playing with a mic

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by BDSDIGITAL, Jul 31, 2009.

1. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Playing with a mic

What's everyone's thoughts on playing with or without a mic? I used to because I felt obligated to for sportmanship reasons, but I really don't like playing with a mic unless it's someone I know personally, and seem to play much better without one. Is it unsportsmanlike in anyone's opinion to play with no mic? I don't see anything wrong with it and it doesn't bother me either way. Just Curious.

2. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

i think in a new league it could be beneficial to use it for a while.. to get to know everyone. But it's not required. It's best used for knocking out the offseason in one night with everyone online at the same time. We've had some fun nights doing that before.

3. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I don't like using them unless I'm playing against a friend I know I can joke with and stuff. I don't want to play someone from here and in the heat of the moment get pissed off and say something inappropriate and start all kinds of drama. hahaha.

That could be really cool for the offseason.

4. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

Well since its Free-Opinion-Friday, heres mine. With a mic the other guy becomes human, I dont play Madden (for example) well happy it makes me lose my edge and make mistakes, I play better stressed out and cussing at the other dude, even when its my best buddy.

the other guy is the enemy, Hes not someone I want to be talking to about random junk while trying to beat him, and I dont trash talk H-2-H thats for the Kids you see on the Madden challenge.

It almost takes away my edge, when I play with a mic.

Now if this CO-OP deal of Madden 10 comes to anything, then Playing with a mic would be the only way to go. But I'd only be chatting with my Teammate.

Hellisan makes a great point, typing is horrendous. standby mic

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah I think ppl should have them at the ready for if something goes wrong, I think it's wrong to make anybody type those messages with their controller... But if you prefer not to talk on the mic, don't.

6. BDSDIGITAL

I agree with all that. I keep mine at the ready as well and it was needed in our lag fest last night. It also is necessary when recruiting with a group. I don't know how you would do it without it really. I'm more talking about from kick off to the v formation.

7. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

I think folks should have it handy incase they need to talk to their opponent. I like it for talking a bit before the game, at the half and after the game. gl and gg type stuff.

when the game is on though, i have mine turned off. partly because i'm concentrating on the game, and partly because I talk to myself and have a number of "tells" if i'm not sure what to call in a situation.

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I cuss way too much for the average person to have to listen to it.

Bruce80 is the same was as me, so I like talking to him. The more he cusses, the more at home I am.

Vasteelah obviously isn't bothered by me going off I think it helps him.

Juggs also is a bit of a loose cannon like myself. He can take it.

Basically anybody that wants to talk, I'm down, but I play better if we don't.

9. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

I'm the same way. I yell a lot (to the annoyance of my roommates...) when I play but I have the ability to control myself when talking on the mic so that's never been an issue.

I definitely curse quite a bit though.

10. VaSteelah

VaSteelah Swollen Member

I don't think it helps me, i can't remember the last time I won a game while using a mic.
    I actually cuss like a sailor, but its usually quiet.

11. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

see my user title...

12. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Me and Juggs were on the mic last nite.......we had a good time. I know he can gets pissed........he mutes it for me....lol.

I never get too mad.......for most part I like it to be quiet with some words here and there. If we didnt have a mic last night a few plays would have made us have to pause and type.......that sucks.

13. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

oh yeah...i got heated last night a few times (mostly at myself but a few times at the zebras). but i think that's fun.

i'm gonna miss playing bruce every year in a big rivalry game. his colorful commentary and cursing was friggin hilarious

14. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Yeah Bruce is hilarious but it honestly affects my focus.......I can't do it!:wickywicky:

15. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

I can't start talking shit or else I will start to suck..

Other than lol, I am cool under pressure...poker face on

16. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

lol last time i played Bruce he was nice and gentlemanly ... because his son was watching the game lol.

17. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

His son is a little older now, so he pretty much doesn't censor himself anymore.

LOL Juggs you are right, first few times I played Rusty he had me laughing more than anything. Still think the dude is hilarious.

One of his catch words is calling hands "dickbeaters."

As in "fuck that went right through his dickbeaters." LOLOL classic.

18. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

my son always tries to take the mic and talk lol..
    if it is somebody ive played before i don't mind but i would rather not if it is against somebody new.. couldn't get the right concentration

19. Newb Slice

Newb Slice Walk On

i always have my mic on i dont know why

20. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

Ah i had forgotten about that one! That is indeed a classic.

21. BDSDIGITAL

Yeah but you don't say anything.

22. dejavu1

dejavu1 Walk On

I agree w/ pretty much everybody else regarding having it handy but not being necessary to play.