Playoff Race

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Keller, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I was saving this for the podcast but since Rush is a bitch it is being delayed, hopefully we'll get it done tomorrow. These are my notes for the podcast so I apologize if they aren't written up or anything - at least this is pretty concise

*edit* - I'm gonna have to format this better so its easier to read.

2. Keller

• Playoff Race: Team (record) (div record) (conf record)
    o NFC Playoff Race​
     1. Cowboys (14-2) (5-1) (11-1)​
    • Loss to Ravens didn't affect seed​
     2. Lions (12-4) (4-2) (8-4)​
    • finished strong with win over Vikings​
     3. Rams (10-4-1) (5-0-1) (8-2-1)​
    • finish against CPU bears​
    • if they lose it doesnt matter - division record tiebreak keeps them in the lead​
     4. Falcons (10-5) (4-1) (7-4)​
     5. Giants (14-2) (5-1) (11-1)​
    • Same division record, same conference record, split head to head and even same record against common opponents​
    o So tiebreak is either strength of schedule/strength of victory, both of which the cowboys led​
     6. Packers (11-4) (5-1) (9-3)​
    • wk 16 beat the vikings in a close one for the right to go to the playoffs​
    • Finish against CPU colts so they're IN​
    o On the outside looking in​
     49ers (10-5-1) (4-1-1) (7-4-1)​
     Vikings (10-6) (3-3) (7-5)​

o AFC Playoff Race​
     1. Bills (16-0) (5-0) (11-0)​
    • Week 17 game against Dolphins, doesn't affect seed​
     2. Chiefs (12-3) (4-1) (8-3)​
    • Week 17 game against Broncos - won't affect seed - even if they lose they have better division record than Broncos​
     3. Ravens (12-4) (4-2) (8-4)​
    • Week 17 win against Cowboys seals #3 seed.​
     4. Colts​

o AFC Wildcard Scenarios - Remember the 5th seed is HUGE because 1st round game will be against CPU Colts while the 6th seed goes on to play the Ravens who just beat the Cowboys. I'm going to assume that JoHud will beat the CPU Chargers​

o TIEBREAKERS I'm going to assume the tiebreaks work and are as follows.​
     Head to head​
     If divisional opponents, division record​
     Conference Record​
     Common Games​
     Strength of Victory​
     Strength of Schedule​

o Scenarios ​
     1. Broncos Win, Dolphins Win​
    • Broncos win and they're in no matter what. 5th Seed​
    • Dolphins win and they're in no matter what. 6th Seed​
     2. Broncos Lose, Dolphins Win​
    • Again if the Dolphins win, they're in, this time as the 5th Seed.​
    • Broncos lose Division Tiebreak to Raiders because of head to head so Raiders vs Browns tiebreaks​
    o Browns beat Raiders head to head so Browns in as 6th Seed.
     3. Broncos Win, Dolphins Lose​
    • Again if the Broncos win, they're in. 5th seed.​
    • Dolphins have head to head tiebreak over Browns but did not play Raiders so since the teams are in different divisions, the division record tiebreaks don't apply.​
    o Conference Tiebreak - Dolphins and Browns are 9-3 but Raiders are 8-4 so Raiders are out of conversation​
    o Back to head to head tiebreak - again the Dolphins beat the Browns so Dolphins still get the #6 seed.​
     4. Broncos Lose, Dolphins Lose​
    • For 5th Seed Tiebreaks​
    o Apply division tiebreaker first, set dolphins and browns aside.​
     Raiders have head to head and better division record tiebreak over Broncos so Raiders in the conversation, Broncos are kaput.​
    o Apply non-division tiebreaks between Raiders, Browns, Dolphins​
     Head to head Tiebreak - Dolphins beat Browns but did not play Raiders so no universal head to head tiebreak​
     Conference Tiebreak - Dolphins and Browns are 9-3 but Raiders are 8-4 so Raiders are out of conversation​
     Back to head to head tiebreak - again the Dolphins beat the Browns so Dolphins get the #5 seed.
    • For 6th Seed Tiebreaks​
    o Division tiebreaker again goes to Raiders​
    o Non division tiebreak between Raiders and Browns​
     Browns beat Raiders head to head so Browns in as #6 Seed.

o AFC Playoff Race Summary -​
     Dolphins or Broncos win, they're in.​
     Raiders are in the conversation but lose all tiebreaks so their season is over​
     Dolphins are in no matter what due to tiebreaks, just depends on the seed.​
     Browns need the Broncos to lose in order to get in.​
     Remember, whoever gets the 5th seed gets a bye in round 1.​
     Remember, depending on what happens in round 1, the #1 Seed will face the lowest remaining seed and the #2 Seed will face the highest remaining seed in round 2.​

3. Keller

so @kdpnutter - guess you're a chiefs fan this week - that is of course assuming the tiebreaks will work - I hope my tiebreak stuff is right, that took me a couple hours this morning to put all that together

4. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Yeah, good luck to all with playoffs on the line. It will fall however it will fall. Good luck Sub, it at least gives me a slight glimmer of hope.

5. Subkontraktor

Subkontraktor Plays with Knives.

@kdpnutter - good thing for you I didn't read this post before I played. I wasn't quite sure if Madden tiebreakers are correct, so I didn't assume I had the division won, and played for the win.

Just got done, and we beat the Broncos. I tried to follow all of Keller's tiebreakers, but that's some complicated shit. Maybe I should have read it before I cracked open my celebratory beer for winning the AFC West for the first time.

AFC West Champions
    2010 - Chargers (dresmithjr) - lost in Super Bowl to Rush
    2011 - Broncos (score23) - Chiefs faded late in the season to give up the division. - Broncos lost in AFC Championship to Keller.
    2012 - Chiefs!!!

6. Keller

Congrats on the victory Sub - you're now representing the strongest division in the league.

7. Subkontraktor

Thank you Thank you... congrats to you as well Mr. 16-0.

Isn't this also your first division championship? Fill me in here where I'm wrong, wouldya?

2010 - Patriots (nutter) or Dolphins (stryder)?
    2011 - Dolphins - won the tiebreak didn't they?
    2012 - Bills

8. Keller

Not winning the division in 2011 is just a small piece in the grand story of winning a title.

9. Subkontraktor

Yeah, I meant to mention that... I know it's not as big a deal with your Super Bowl win, but I was just mentioning it. No one can take away the trophy from the 2011 Bills