Playoff Tiers | A Coach-Mode Dynasty

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by MartyWebb, Mar 11, 2014.

1. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

Archived Seasons : 2013 | 2014

The Idea :

I've done a Promotion/Relegation type Dynasty before, all with a lot of success and really changing the landscape of 'College Football' during the Dynasty's lifetime. All with a good friend of mine, minor TSO member KielCastle in an Online Franchise. After discovering what PocketScout over at OS has been able to do with the game, and it being the last NCAA game we'll have for some time, I decided to give it another shot with more tools at my disposal.

The Setup :

I'll use a Five-Tiered set up with two separate 'leagues.' The leagues themselves aren't important, I used a random number generator to determine which league a school will be in, divided it out through tiers and balanced the leagues the best of my ability. The Top/First Tier has no Conference Championship game, the Second through Fifth Tiers do. It's rather simple, the last place team from each conference will get relegated to the Tier below them, the Conference Champions from the Second to Fifth Tiers will get promoted to the Tier above them. Since you can't eliminate conferences, the Independents have two teams, each being replaced with the Fifth Tier Last Place team. The 'league' that they'll get placed in will be determined by a coin flip.

Bowl Tie-Ins have been adjusted and weighted for the Top Three Tiers to get a large majority of the bowls, as 'reward' for not being near or at the bottom of this system.

The Playoffs :

With PocketScout's program, I'm able to bring an eight-team playoff. jello1717's contributions to my understanding and ability to use the program were enormous.

The Conference Champions from both Top Tier Conferences and Second Tier Conferences will get the first four seeds, ordered by BCS Ranking. The remaining four seeds will be filled via BCS Ranking, with no Conference having more than two representatives. If the eighth seed is between a Top or Second Tier team(non-conference champion) and a Third Tier/Fourth Tier Conference Champion, than the later will receive the bid. With this setup, essentially the worst six bowl teams will lose their bowl bid to make room for the playoffs.

Coach Mode :

I'll start this dynasty off as an Offensive Coordinator, working my way up to a Head Coach. The first four seasons I must stay an Offensive Coordinator, the fifth season marking my first Head Coach eligible season. I must stay at any school for a minimum of two seasons despite my position there, with ONE 'buyout' per TEN seasons, allowing my to stay at a position for one year. Ex: After my third season at my first school, I take a better OC job, and after that season get a Head Coaching opportunity I can take it, but can no longer 'buyout' for TEN seasons after that year.

Recruiting Rules :

I cannot recruit a prospect graded more than TWO(2) better than my current team's prestige. If I start as a 2-star program, than 3-star prospects are the highest grade I'm allowed to pursue.
    I can only sign an amount of recruits that is equal to the seniors on my roster + 3. If I have 15 seniors, I cannot sign more than 18 total players that year.
    I cannot add ANY player to my board after Week 1 that is better than a 3-star, no matter the school prestige. It's my belief that most schools backup plans don't hinge on 4 and 5-stars.
    I cannot recruit outside of my pipeline states unless my team is at 4 prestige or better, never exceeding 6 out-of-pipeline signings.
    I cannot scout any player after the pre-season.

Initial League Set-up :

InitialConferenceSetup.jpg

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  2. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

[​IMG]

3. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

National Champions :

2013 - Mizzou Tigers 13-3
    2014 - Ohio State Buckeyes 14-1

4. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

2013 - UNLV Rebels (8-5, 7-2) Offensive Coordinator
    Review :
    Finished the season 8-5(7-2) on the season, after stumbling into a 1-2 start with losses to UTEP and FCS NW. The next three games were won by an average margin of 31 points, offensively we were cruising. Visiting Rice brought us back down to earth slightly, as it took a touchdown with time expiring to win the game 20-19. Then the battle of Nevada wasn’t close, Nevada beat us by 10, but that was after two garbage touchdowns to bring them within scoring distance. Another loss, this time to SJSU would be the last of the regular season for us, but the one that kept us out of the Conference Championship game (SJSU would go on later to win the Conference and get Promoted.) Our offense took hold again to finish the season strong at 8-4, and we drew a 6-6 West Virginia team for the Little Caesar’s Bowl, and couldn’t handle them, losing 17-38.

News :
    I decided to stay with UNLV after a pretty successful first season. Since we weren't good enough to get promoted, we'll still be in teams that are equal or worse than us within the Fifth Tier. We've also brought in a pretty solid recruiting class that I'd like to see mature at least for another year before I move on.

Promotion and Relegation :
    In the American League(Colored Yellow on the Spreadsheet)
    Top Tier Stanford (2-10,2-7) will be relegated.
    Second Tier Ole Miss (10-3,8-2) will be promoted.
    Second Tier Virginia (3-9,1-8) will be relegated.
    Third Tier Boston College (9-4,8-2) will be promoted.
    Third Tier Texas Tech (4-8,3-6) will be relegated.
    Fourth Tier Temple (11-2,9-0) will be promoted.
    Fourth Tier Southern Miss (2-10,2-6) will be relegated.
    Fifth Tier San Jose State (9-4,8-2) will be promoted.
    Fifth Tier UMass (2-10,1-8) will be relegated.
    Independent Army will be promoted.

In the National League(Colored Blue on the Spreadsheet)
    Top Tier Miami (3-9,2-7) will be relegated.
    Second Tier Mizzou (10-3,7-3) will be promoted.
    Second Tier Arizona (4-8,2-7) will be relegated.
    Third Tier Maryland (11-2,9-1) will be promoted.
    Third Tier Kent State (3-9,2-7) will be relegated.
    Fourth Tier UConn (11-2,9-1) will be promoted.
    Fourth Tier New Mexico State (3-9,2-7) will be relegated.
    Fifth Tier FIU (10-3,8-2) will be promoted.
    Fifth Tier Eastern Michigan (2-10,0-9) will be relegated.
    Independent Navy will be promoted.

Season Archive :
    Click Here for all the information regarding the 2013 Season.

Playoffs :
    [​IMG]

5. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Sorry to clutter up your thread but do you mind if i do this too? This would be a whole hell of a lot of fun.

6. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

Not at all pal, have at it.

7. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

News and Notes :

I wanted to address a few things regarding this dynasty that I wasn't able to hit on in the original post. It was going to be pretty long, and I didn't want to make it longer.

• So each season, to make the playoffs an option, there are 6 teams and 6 Bowls that are set aside strictly for playoff purposes. When I adjusted the Bowl Tie-Ins, I made the worst bids(as that is where the Divisional Round will be played) in the Poinsetta, Beef 'O Brady's, New Orleans and Las Vegas Bowl. Some people like jello rotate, but I've kept it so the Sugar and Orange Bowl be the Semifinal Round every year. Easier to not rotate and clutter up my spreadsheet, plus they're next to one another in the Database per their game ID.
    • I say 6 teams, despite 8 being moved out of the aforementioned four bowls, because I take the best 2 teams out of the 8, and place them in either the Fiesta or Rose Bowl. Again, the numbers for these bowls are so close together it just makes it easier.
    • When choosing the 8-seeds, in year one I came across a point I think I made in the original post. The eighth seed, if between two teams with identical or very close BCS Numbers, I'll go with a Conference Champion. Cincinnati was slightly higher than Maryland in the BCS, by .008, and in the Second Tier opposed to Maryland's Third Tier status, BUT Maryland had a Conference Championship & a better record. That is why Maryland made it in.
    • I may possibly change the Rose Bowl and Fiesta Bowl auto-bids, as they're both currently set to At-Large status. One of which I might make an auto-bid for the two Third Tier Conference Champions, it would likely make the effort of changing the database easier for me, and have one of those teams if eligible be a clear choice in the playoffs.
    • I likely won't speak much about my team a whole lot, there's a lot of numbers and movement in this dynasty, and I want this altered College Football landscape to be as much. That's what will be intriguing, how quick a team might fall off the face of the planet, or how dominating in the bottom few Tiers can lead a team like UMass all the way to the top. With dynamic Conference Prestige ratings, there is now a true punishment or reward when moving down or up different Tiers.
    • With the editor, I was able to completely erase EVERY programs historical Win-Loss-Tie record. I also erased their Conference Championships and National Championships, their Bowl wins and losses as well. This allows for me to track this entire dynasty, who's been the best of the best, or the worst of the worst. I didn't alter Coach historical records, because I was afraid it would set down the good coaches ability to be great at what they're doing.
    • Gone, after year one, are the Manziels/Seastrunks/Clowneys. I made a lot of guys who are actually leaving for the draft Seniors so I wouldn't encounter that bug that prevents them from doing so. There are some omissions, but I didn't' want to alter entirely too much in that regard.

Coach Movement :

Some of the problems, or benefits, of this system is the built-in patience of an Athletic Director.

• After Mizzou won the National Championship, beating Oregon, Ole Miss and Oklahoma(the prior two would've been the National Championship game if no playoffs,) Gary Pinkel left! He took the job at Oregon, after Mark Helfrich was let go due to not meeting school goals. Helfrich moved onto Florida Atlantic as the Head Coach, an upgrade for the school certainly. Pinkel is replaced by his OC Josh Henson.
    • TCU let go of Gary Patterson after a 4-8 campaign that saw them in the bottom half of the Second Tiered Conference USA. He was replaced by Iowa State Head Coach Paul Rhoads, kind of baffling with ISU only placing 4th within the division last year in the PAC-12(Third Tier) at 8-4. Patterson ended up as the Head Coach of Buffalo, another upgrade for a lower tiered(Fourth) school.
    • Miami(FL) after getting relegated to the Second Tier, hires Tommy Tuberville as their next Head Coach. The rotating door at Cincinnati was filled by former Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald.
    • Georgia fires Head Coach Mark Richt and DC Todd Grantham, replacing them with Alabama DC Kirby Smart and Utah Head Coach Kyle Whittingham respectively. Richt will now be the Head Coach of the Utah State Aggies.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Fascinating setup MartyWebb ! love it man and I will be keeping an eye on this!

• Like Like x 1
  9. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

2014 UNLV Rebels (11-3, 8-2) Offensive Coordinator
    Review :
    This season was easier, and harder for a few different reasons. I adjusted my playbook slightly, a spread offense with a rush first mentality, to fit Coach Mode a little better. What it ended up doing was actually leaving me frustrated more often than last season, but a new QB, RB and nearly all my offensive line was likely the source of my frustration. I started off the season 6-0, with an overtime win over Army (a big one,) until I lost my first game at Ohio. I didn’t lose another game in the regular season aside from Ohio and my rivalry game against Nevada. The easier part was my conference was still rather weak, the hard part, was my three matchups with opponents who’d end up in the Top 10 in the polls by years end. Army would finish the regular season ranked #7, and Nevada #5. Army’s only loss this season coming to me, a loss they avenged in the Conference Championship game that saw my team lose 9-28. We drew Navy in the Russell Athletic Bowl, I thought a tough matchup, but ended up rolling them 49-21. It was the first game all season in which my passing and rushing attack were firing on all cylinders. A good step forward for the program should I decide to stay or leave at season’s end.

News :
    I decided to take a chance and throw myself out there in the Coaching Carousel. I'd done what I wanted to with UNLV, raise their prestige, tune my high-paced offense and make a name for myself. With only a 'C' coaching prestige due to our poor passing game last season I really thought it would hurt me throughout the process. After a whole lot of movement, my name came up. June Jones was fired from SMU, replaced by WKU coach Bobby Petrino. That makes sense with the style I'm sure the Mustangs would like to keep. Shawn Elliot left to fill that void at Western Kentucky, and South Carolina(A Top Tier school, and 2014 Playoff participant, gave me a call. I've moved on to become the South Carolina Offensive Coordinator until I can finally land that Head Coaching gig I so desperately want. Being in the Top Tier is also going to be a night and day difference between the fifth their where my offense has thrived.

Promotion and Relegation :
    In the American League(Colored Yellow on the Spreadsheet)
    Top Tier Ole Miss (3-9,1-8) will be relegated.
    Second Tier Kansas State (10-3,8-2) will be promoted.
    Second Tier Boston College (5-7,2-7) will be relegated.
    Third Tier Virginia (10-3,8-2) will be promoted.
    Third Tier Northern Illinois (5-7,2-7) will be relegated.
    Fourth Tier Nevada (12-1,8-1) will be promoted.
    Fourth Tier San Jose State (1-11,1-7) will be relegated.
    Fifth Tier Army (12-1,9-1) will be promoted.
    Fifth Tier Georgia State (3-9,2-7) will be relegated.
    Independent UMass will be promoted.

In the National League(Colored Blue on the Spreadsheet)
    Top Tier LSU (3-9,1-8) will be relegated.
    Second Tier Auburn (11-2,8-2) will be promoted.
    Second Tier Louisville (4-8,2-7) will be relegated.
    Third Tier UConn (10-3,8-2) will be promoted.
    Third Tier Arizona (3-9,2-7) will be relegated.
    Fourth Tier Hawai'i (9-4,7-3) will be promoted.
    Fourth Tier New Mexico (3-9,0-9) will be relegated.
    Fifth Tier Navy (9-4,9-1) will be promoted.
    Fifth Tier Akron (2-10,1-8) will be relegated.
    Independent Eastern Michigan will be promoted.

Season Archive :
    Click Here for all the information regarding the 2014 Season.

Playoffs :
    [​IMG]

League Alignment for Next Season :
    [​IMG]

10. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

A quick note, for anyone following along, is there anything in particular I'm leaving out that you'd like more detail on? Thanks for taking the time, and as for 'clogging' up the thread, I don't care, I'll start archiving at the top of the First Post.

11. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

What type was your QB (balanced, scrambler, pocket passer)? I've tried coach mode before and I think I could REALLY, REALLY like it. However I'm a spread option guy so all of my QBs are scramblers and they are unbelievably frustrating to use in coach mode. This is because when they drop back to pass they will scramble at the drop of a hat, but the entire reason I called a pass play in the first place was so that he'd throw the damned ball!

While fully controlling everyone my QB is always #1 or #2 on my team in carries, yet I have less than 10 scrambles per season (and way more sacks). But with a CPU controlled scrambler they can have a 1:1 ratio of passes:scrambles and it drives me NUTS, so much so that it's the 1 reason that keeps me from playing a mode I'm sure I'd love (that and the HORRIBLE camera angle).

So, were your QBs scramblers, and if so, did they take off as often as they'd actually throw the ball? I'd love to find a way to have my 90+ SPD QB that will pass when I want him to pass.

12. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

So for my first two seasons as UNLV I had Scramblers. A true freshman Lebowitz, and then second year JuCo signing Davis. They would do that, at the drop of a hat, unless I had picked a play that had some sort of quick out. A slant, a flat, a RB going out towards the sidelines...

It can be frustrating, the bright side is that in just two games with South Carolina, with a guy that's not a speed demon, he's staying in the pocket and doing alright. I know that Coach Mode, also, can be done two ways. The way when you select your team, go from 'Regular' to 'Coach.' That way, the camera sucks, but it's how I've done this entire dynasty. Now there's also Auto-pass mode as well. So you'd basically be playing like you would a normal game, the only substitute is that you snap and don't touch anything. The QB drops back, or you Player Lock a lineman or QB when you hand the ball off and let the CPU do it's job. I haven't tested it since NCAA 12 I think, but I remember it I think cutting down on the crazy scrambles. The only downside to that, is something I never tested, but I assumed that because you're still 'playing,' options were useless unless you player-locked an offensive lineman, thus not seeing the play happening behind you.

jello1717

13. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Yeah, I can't do old school coach mode (auto pass) because I call a lot of options so I'd have to hold A to hand off to the HB. I never thought about locking onto a lineman before, but I'm sure the angle would suck ass. I might try it though.

14. Bucs

Bucs GT: ThruTheSmoke47

Great stuff Marty. I'll be following along. Interested to see if you take some lumps at SCAR. Also bummed to see Miami relegated but like the Tommy Tuberville hire.