Playoffs?

Discussion in 'After Midnight' started by MexiRican35, Jun 28, 2012.

1. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ¿Te quieres naranjas?

I haven't been watching much ESPN lately so I was wondering if y'all could fill me in on some questions I have on the new playoff system.

Is the BCS ranking system gone in '14? Is there just going to be a Top 25, with the top 4 teams in that Top 25 poll going to the playoffs?

Do the 4 teams that go to the playoffs also play in their bowl games? i.e. If Wisconsin wins the B1G Championship game and is ranked 2nd in the nation, do they play in both the Rose Bowl and then their playoff game?

2. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

MexiRican35 the BCS rankings are gone and the top 4 teams will be chosen by a selection committee. I believe the semi-finals are played at existing BCS Bowl locations and the NCG will be played at the highest bidding city, which sounds like Cowboy Stadium to me.

3. MexiRican35

So will they still play the Rose Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, etc? Or are those just playoff games now?

4. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

I'm pretty sure the semi-final sites rotate between the 4 cities and the 2 cities w/o a semi-final will host a bowl game. All semi-finals games are played New Year's Day and the final could be anywhere I think. Not 100% sure but that's what I got from listening to sportscenter.

5. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I think the final game will be bidded on by various cities.

6. MexiRican35

That's what's going to be crazy, is the amount of money spent just to get the Championship in their city

7. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

There's gonna be all kinds of problems figuring out who should be the 4th team in, since it's now a selection committee. For instance, who gets the last playoff spot: a 1 loss, #4 ranked Bama or a 1 loss, Pac-12 Champ, #5 ranked USC? It'll probably be USC as I understand it. If a team like Boise makes it that high, they'll be SOL.

If they woulda made it just 1-4 in the BCS, no problems. If you're #5, hit the bricks.

There will. be. controversy.

8. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

this sounds awful. Go undefeated or play in the SEC.

9. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

10. Dru50

It's better than what they have now....if they'd had this setup this year at least teams like stanford/Oregon/ok st would have had a chance to win the title.

11. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

Well..... not all of them :)

Thats the issue, which of those three gets left out?

12. Dru50

2 of them getting in is better than zero right?

The existing system is the dumbest in sports, and any change would be an improvement in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MexiRican35

Using last year as an example, who would have gotten in? Here was the BCS rankings at the end of the regular season 1-7.
    1. LSU
    2. Bama
    3. OK St
    4. Stanford
    5. Oregon
    6. Arkansas
    7. Boise

Is it just straight 1-4, no matter what conference they are in? Or can only one team from each conference get into the playoffs, meaning it would have been LSU, OK St, Stanford, and Boise?

14. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

It's not straight 1-4, it's a 'selection committee' so there are gonna be pissed off people either way. I agree with Dru that this system is way better and all we need to add, imo, but they should've kept the BCS and just went 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3. A selection committee will fuck any small schools that made it up to 3 or 4.

15. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster