plays

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by bcduggan, Sep 6, 2010.

1. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

plays

How many plays on offense should be in a game?

2. shakenbake_4life

shakenbake_4life Walk On

i could be wrong but i believe its 60-70 per team

3. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    The up-tempo spread teams like Houston, Texas A&M and OKlahoma only averaged around 80 plays. Highest was 87 plays per game. Most other teams average around 65-70.

4. TeXasfight33

TeXasfight33 Walk On

today against maryland navy was in the high 80's

5. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Marching the ball down field 4 yards at a time, turning it over within the 5 yard line and then having your defense force turnovers will certainly raise the number of offensive plays you run. I think Maryland had less than 50.

6. charter04

charter04 Walk On

Most games have between 110 to 140 in college. That is both teams combined. For example. BYU averaged about 132 plays a game last year, counting the other team. One team can get more of the overall plays by control the game. when trying to apply that to NCAA football it is best to use total plays for both teams, because if you just count your 80 plays and the other team also gets 80 then it's 160. That would be way too many.

7. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I think you have to consider both. You can't say just because you have 130 plays in a game that it's okay when your team has 90.

8. charter04

charter04 Walk On

why not. I think that would be hard to do anyway but go look at stat's. if a team runs a control the ball type of game and you stop the computer a lot you could do it. This happens in real life. Usually if you are up that much you run the clock more in the forth and you would end up with a lot less over all plays. This is the method I use and went with 9 min quarters in my offline dynasty as Arkansas. I play everything like as much sim as I can and my team averaged about 120 plays a game for the season, between both teams. Last year the real Hogs averaged about 122 plays between both teams. My stat's were very close to what Arkansas could have this year. Nothing crazy. You just have to get the sliders right so you don't average an unrealistic average yards per play.

9. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Because averaging 90+ plays a game is unsim.

It's not a hard rule or anything. But you shouldn't average that high no matter what the total plays are. If you are, then you likely have a bad slider set.

The number of plays your teams runs a game should fluctuate depending on the events in the game. Your total plays should remain within 1-3% standard deviation.

10. charter04

charter04 Walk On

Case and point. Go look at the Oregon box score. they had 95 plays. other team 61. total 156. Really high amount, but Oregon had a lot more then the other team. I bet they don't average 156 for the year. I gave the number of 160 because you really don't want that to be the norm. Even the game i am showing was not 160. I said 110 to 140. I was going more by the averages. If you average 130 a game you won't average 90 plays a game unless you are playing really unrealistic or you have the sliders too easy.

11. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I think we are agreeing. I think you might be misunderstanding what I'm saying. I don't believe that both teams should have close to the same number of plays. Just so that's clear.

Houston led the NCAA last year with an avg of 87. So, even if you are a fast-paced, no-huddle ball-controlling turnover machine, you shouldn't be averaging but 1-2 plays higher than that over the course of the year.

12. charter04

charter04 Walk On

In Arkansas' season opener the total was 115. In the USC game it was 140. It depends on the style. The team Arkansas played ran the clock a lot. When they play Auburn it will probably be 130 to 140. If the computer can move the ball realistically it should average out right, as far as your teams plays go. I just don't like using only how many plays my team runs to decide my quarter length because then I might have 60 and the other team like 30 or 40. Not many games if any only have 90 to 100 total plays.

13. charter04

charter04 Walk On

yea, that's true. we are basically in agreement. I think the game does a good job overall of giving the computer enough plays. I just had trouble when going with 6 or 7 min quarters and never getting the total plays right so that is why i went with total. Sometime i have less than the computer. Just depends if I go with a faster tempo or not.

14. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    In the game, it drastically depends on the play style and skill level. I know if some leagues on here used 9 min quarters there would be teams easily averaging over 100 plays a game for their single team total.

15. charter04

charter04 Walk On

I'm in Battle for the South and I just played HotRod and we had 102 total plays with 7 minute quarters. If you make it 8 or 9 you would get about 130 to 140. We passed the ball a lot with a pretty good tempo with both teams. If someone is getting 100 plays by them selves in a 9 minute quarter game. They must be playing with extremely easy slidders or can't play d in man verse man games. I think HotRod and me are both pretty good and there is no way we get that many plays even against the computer. Like I said if you move the ball that great in the first half and are up big you don't keep running ton's of plays in the second half. Some big plays will happen to.

16. charter04

charter04 Walk On

The week before that me and the guy with the vols we had 90. He was more conservative.

17. charter04

charter04 Walk On

When I played the computer against LSU in the snow. We had 99. That is both teams.

18. charter04

charter04 Walk On

It's really just personal preference and getting it right for you and your league. How ever you get to that.

19. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

20. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Not really, there are just people on this site that are so nasty on offense and defense that they can drive the ball the length of the field every time and then take it away quickly on defense. On the same sliders, others struggle to even win against the CPU.

Just saying, I've seen it happen.

21. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Killernuts>Thanks for the chart.

Drifter>I agree with your post on some being too good and some having issues with scpu. That's how I was last year I was having issues until I found a playbook I was comfortable with. I had games with using a specific playbook playbook on offense where I had a 2 or 3 to 1 play called advantage.

I was mainly asking because I understand why people like 7 min quarters but whenever I play 7 min quarters I fall way short on number of plays called.

22. kathleenp980

kathleenp980 Guest

I also think so.
    (y)

23. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

24. Drifterbub

Featured Threads: