PLEASE REVIEW: ***2019 Week 17 is open! Deadline Wednesday 5/21/14 @ Midnight EST***

Discussion in 'Quality Simulation Football' started by LtJustice, May 19, 2014.

1. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

The franchise has been advanced and week 17 is now open. The deadline for week 17 is Sunday 5/21/14 @ Midnight EST.

As usual, we may be advancing early if all games with playoff implications are finished. There are still some important games to be played this final week of the regular season, I would hope all of those games do in fact get played!

Another advance, another group of games simmed (7 this week!). There are clearly those that have checked out early, which is disappointing to say the least. If anyone has an opponent that has been M.I.A. as of late, and would like to get their game in against the CPU, please let me know.

One more thing I wanted to mention is some of the ridiculous stats we have seen this season, most specifically when it comes to the passing game. There is a big difference between just finding success in an element of your offense and complete failure to heed our requirements on mixing up your game plan. When I see teams regularly passing the ball 30+ times a game, and running it around 10x, that is a problem. Just because we haven't been cracking down as much this season, doesn't mean it has gone unnoticed. Let this also be a warning for everyone who is looking forward to playing this final postseason, our expectations have not changed and EVERYONE is expected to abide by our game play rules.

Good luck to everyone in week 17!

~Jim

Avery (AveryB) - Steelers
    Brad (HogeB33) - Rams
    Carl T. (CTfromDC) - Bengals
    Charlie (KingPatron) – 49ers
    Chris (CSteud) - Packers
    Curtis (thafuture3886) - Colts
    Danny (DJDunn6) - Dolphins
    Dave (saintsdave75) - Texans
    Doug (CHUNKNESS) - Jaguars
    Eddie (pittrocks43) - Saints
    Glen (Glen Cieske) – Raiders
    James M. (cry_havoc) - Giants
    James Y. (Phenom) - Broncos
    Jeremy (Jeremy) - Buccaneers
    Jim (LtJustice) - Seahawks
    Jon (Warhawk AKA dreadman) - Redskins
    Josh (Josh Barnes) - Ravens
    Kenri (DarkKnight89) - Vikings
    Kris (Coach KO) - Eagles
    Lawon (MrWitness36) - Falcons
    Loren (ThaBayouChef) - Titans
    Michael O. (Michael Overman) - Sentinels
    Mike A. (Miki1369) - Cardinals
    Mike C. (chance17) - Lions
    Moe (CaptMoe) - Cowboys
    Murad (smokeface) - Patriots
    Pope (dablakpope) - Browns
    Reis (Mugga) - Panthers
    Ryan (RVallee) - Bears
    T.J. (klaximilian) - Jets
    Troy (redlishus) - Chiefs

• Like Like x 3
  2. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

When looking at pass/run ratio, are you taking into account the box score and flow of the game? It's hard to run the ball when you're down 3+ scores. At least that was the case in my week 16 game. Over the course of the season I'm averaging 28 pass/20 run attempts per game, which is pretty balanced...

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  3. Coach KO

Coach KO Walk On

Moe - for the record, I didnt complain :)

4. LtJustice

Of course we take circumstances into consideration, and one game does not make a pattern. But we have said time and again that we don't want to see ridiculous stats. A big game here and there is one thing, but when it's the same players time and again getting the huge games (400+ yds passing, 200+ yds rushing/receiving, etc.), it can set off red flags. I have heard the arguments that guys are just taking what the defense gives them, but sometimes the responsibility falls on the owner to reign things in.

As far as the game you referenced Moe; I am not saying I have a problem with that specific game in and of itself. But since you brought it up, I wanted to give you (and everyone) my thoughts on it. You said the game got away from you and it is hard to run the ball when you are down big, but I think there is a flaw in that game plan. Based on Kris' recap, you threw a 1st quarter INT that put you down 14-0. You ended the game with 36 drop backs (35 PA & 1 sack) and 7 rush attempts. You obviously gave up on your running game very early, and I think that is a common mistake.

Obviously if you are down 3 scores late in the 2nd half, you can't afford to really run the ball, but I don't believe that is the case in the 1st half. I have been on both sides of some big comebacks, and generally it's the teams that stick to their game plan that are able to mount some sort of comeback. The teams that panic and fall into a pass only mode tend to dig a deeper hole. They become one dimensional they may be able to rack up a lot of yards passing, but the defense is able to sit back, a lot of times in a bend but don't break style, and ultimately keep the other team at bay. Or even worse you have the guys that throw caution to the wind and just wing the ball all over the field. They may throw 3-4+ INTs per game, but they are passing for 300 yards a game, because they make so many dangerous throws they are bound to find success some of the time. We are all guilty of throwing terrible passes here and there, but I think everyone knows the kind of passer I am talking about.

It is no secret that we are a league built on strategy and team building. Obviously, everyone likes to find success with their team/players and stats are part of that success. But what I am trying to say, and what we have said all along, is that we are not interested in seeing "video game stats". Big games here and there aside, stats that are consistently out of line with the norm or unbalanced would seem to indicate an owner incapable of or unwilling to mix up their play calling.

• Like Like x 3
  5. LtJustice

This was not based on a complaint at all, and as I said above I am not taking issue with your guys' game specifically. This is a big picture issue and I have seen multiple occurrences that I consider problematic.

• Like Like x 2
  6. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

Lol, I wouldn't expect you to.

Understood Jim. Early on i was relying more on my ground game. But, with Dunbar out and Murray on a huge decline, it wasn't easy. I did give up on the run early in that game and probably more so because of who I had at RB. Suffer a critical fumble when you're down 2 scores and panic mode is pretty much what I had left.
    I think a couple of those 2nd half scores were also big plays on either busted coverage or missed tackles by Coach KO.

I guess I should forget about my gameplan to throw 9 TDs in week 17 and secure the single-season passing TD mark... :(

7. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Honestly, Moe, I wouldn't even joke about that. The guys who are newer to the league will see that statement and be turned off by it. Sure, the group of guys who know you well will know enough that you are kidding. But from the outside looking in, it can be misinterpreted and set a bad example for those who are already in violation, or even worse, turn away the great acquisitions who we want to keep with us and/or recruit. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

That's true, Doug.
    Disclaimer for those that do not know me: it was a joke. I would never disrespect an opponent like that, unless they scored 62pts on me...

9. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

This is disgusting. A blatant disregard for opponents and the league. Jim, I think we should put it out there and publish the list of games that went unplayed. I'd love to hear some of the responses; that is, if we receive any at all.... Up to you, though. We certainly don't need to create any unnecessary drama. Those who aren't participating know who they are and why they won't be invited back.

• Like Like x 3
  10. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

If they were invited back, they should pick last in the team lottery...

11. Coach KO

Coach KO Walk On

Or 58 lol

12. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

I fail to see the humor here... (n)

13. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

Didn't play my week 15 or 16 games. Week 15 I had family fly in from LA and my sister was in town from college so I stayed at my moms house 1 night and pretty much 2 whole days. Really limited my availability. Week 16 myself and RVallee 's schedules just never matched up. I was available when he wasn't and vice versa. And then I got sick from some bad fkn meat or undercooked meat I let my GF cook. (Dating girls who aren't from south LA does have it's downfall I guess). Week 17 played last night. I never "checked out" of anything, and would dare someone, one who especially has checked out of these forums pretty much a whole season or two ago, to say I did. (not inteded at you Chunk)

• Like Like x 2
  14. LtJustice

Gentlemen,

With a handful of games (properly) scheduled for Wednesday, I am going to hold off on doing an early advance, despite the fact that the playoff seeding appear to be set. Generally we would advance sooner, to eliminate as much down time as possible for the offseasons, but with this being the final season of this release, I don't want to take away anyone's opportunity to get their final game in. Thanks for your understanding!

• Like Like x 3
  15. Warhawk AKA dreadman

Warhawk AKA dreadman Walk On

Would like to give a shout-out to AveryB .... we had a hell of a game last night! Two original members of the Bottom Feeders went at it last night on the field! Back and forth action.. interceptions.. fumbles... lots of offense... was a fun game and a good way to close out the season and this release in Madden. Great game... wish we both could have played like that the entire release ;)

• Like Like x 5
  16. Michael Overman

Michael Overman Walk On

Felt the same way ...really enjoyed my game (and all of my games) with CTfromDC

• Like Like x 1
  17. Coach KO

Coach KO Walk On

LtJustice

For the record. madden could screw you. Since we will have a three way tie breaker, its possible that they go by conference record instead of head to head.

Now for some news. I am heading out for memorial day weekend. I am unavailable to play after 4pm on Friday until Monday morning. If I so happen to advance, I truly hope we can be patient so I can play out this final season.

18. LtJustice

Wow! We WILL have a 3- way tie? Seems to me that CSteud may have something to say about that.

As far as the tie breakers; while issues with tie breakers in the past have been well documented, it appears as though the problem has (as least partially) been fixed. Tie breakers have been completely accurate this release, to the best of my knowledge.

So even IF you win your final game and finish 12-4, which would equal the 12-4 records of the Panthers and Seahawks, you are the #3 seed in the NFC. The Seahawks hold the #1 spot (with h2h wins over both the Panthers and Eagles), and the Panthers would beat out the Eagles for the #2 seed based on a better conference record (11-1 vs. 9-3).

I have seen zero cause for concern with the tie-breakers in this release. Heck, I am pretty sure it has even been correct with the seeding getting down to the SoS tie breaker.

Now obviously you can never say never, when it comes to Madden screw ups, but I would be very surprised to see things go screwy now, after working flawlessly for 5 seasons.

• Like Like x 1
  19. LtJustice

I thought I should address this, so as not to leave any wrong impressions.

Moe, much like you mention taking games situations into consideration with stats, I feel the same must be done with scoring. As long as teams don't give the impression of implicitly trying to run up the score in a blowout, sometimes thing just happen.

While we don't want to see teams regularly scoring 50+ points in a blowout, I don't want to give anyone the impression that simply scoring that many points alone is an act of disrespect or breaking the rules. It all depends on context.

Allow me to use myself as an example; in my week 15 game against Charlie and his 49ers, I scored what very well may be a league season high 66 points with my Seahawks in a 66-21 victory. On first glance it looks like a ruthless victory where the winner clearly kept their foot on the gas for 4 full quarters, and that couldn't be more wrong. This was a game where things went south for the Niners in the 2nd quarter, to the tune of a 52-7 halftime lead for Seattle. Seattle scored 45 2nd quarter points on big plays, broken plays, and turnovers. Seattle scored again on their first possession of the 3rd quarter on yet another broken play, and finally scored in the 4th on a breakaway run by their 4th string HB. Seattle began inserting backups as soon as the 3rd quarter started, and the Niners never say die attitude unfortunately backfired as they amassed 7 turnovers. This was simply one of those games where very little went right for the Niners and the Seahawks seemingly could do no wrong. Based on our conversation after the game, I don't believe Charlie felt that I disrespected him, it was just one of those games.

I know we touched on running up the score in blowouts earlier this year, and it is a very real concern. But I just wanted to make it clear that circumstances vary and the simple fact of a team scoring 50+ points does not always mean they did something wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  20. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Man. I wish I had the problem of scoring 50+ points per game. :(

Then again, it'd be pretty easy to assume I'd be running straight money plays and queso. So maybe not...

21. Josh Barnes

Josh Barnes Walk On

I'm hoping daddy leagues has the AFC North final standings incorrect, and Madden will have it right. At the moment they have the Browns ahead of myself. We both have 12-4 records; however, I own the head to head tiebreaker, which is supposed to be the first tiebreaker to come into play. Hoping Madden gets it right, because that first round bye would be very nice.

22. LtJustice

One thing I can say, DO NOT base anything on Daddy Leagues standings. They don't even have the conference records correct in all instances. For everything DL does well, they have their own discrepancies.

• Like Like x 1
  23. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

And I had to do was win week 17 and you wouldn't have had to worry about that BYE. It wasn't meant to be...

First 8 games: 8-0
    Last 8 games: 3-5 (lost starting QB, HB)

FML. Thrice.

24. Josh Barnes

Josh Barnes Walk On

Just means its going to be even more special when you win it all! (y)

• Like Like x 1
  25. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Not without my starting QB, I'm not. I'll have to win two games before I get him back, and that's a huge hurdle to get over now that we're in the playoffs.