Pocket Scout for your Iphone

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Goose, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Goose

Goose Walk On

My cousin just texted me asking if it was cheating to use this app. I haven't heard of it, but according to him it tells you what recruits would be rated overall. I told him I considered it cheating, but since he sucks and it's not in this league (it's a custom big ten) I told him to use it, but not to tell anyone. What do you guys think of this? Has anyone heard of it?

I told him the fun/realistic part of recruiting is you never know how an athlete will turn out. James Laranitis was a 3* recruit, and turned into one of the best Linebackers the Buckeyes have had in a long time.

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I just did some research. Looks like it isn't available for the PS3, which is a good thing. It can't be policed, and it's a douchy thing to do. I spend a lot of time combing through recruits to get the guys I want. Knowing everything up front would make it not nearly as much fun.

3. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

Doesn't this app just turn letter grade ratings into numbers based on best guess? Haven't ever used it. Not an iphone user.

4. bdub

bdub Walk On

Just looked at the website and it looks like it does give you the exact numbers they will have so its pretty much cheating in my opinion.

5. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

How do they calculate that number?

6. Goose

Goose Walk On

It probly is best guess. I feel its douchey but my cousin only runs like 7 plays. I played him last night in this league and beat 50-7 he quit the game and the league with 1:50 left in the game.

7. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

Read up on the webpage. Looks like it takes letter grades and 40/squat/bench numbers then turns those values into rating ranges for your recruits. It then takes those ratings assuming the average number and calculates what the overall will likely be. It doesn't do anything someone couldn't do manually with knowledge of how grades match to ratings.

Not really cheating since it doesn't do anything you couldn't do yourself. It doesn't reveal info about a recruit you can only get with the app. Still best to ban use of it.

8. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

No it uses the downloadable numerical data and converts it to their numbers and ratings...there are some guys on here who have been discussing it on the site recently.

9. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Is this your cousin eddie? [​IMG]

10. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

How could we police this? I mean it would be impossible to catch...if you are that desperate to win then you shouldn't be here anyway, but really...how could we catch them?

11. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

How do you access that data?

12. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Go to the recruiting page on the dynasty wire...and in the upper left hand side it will say something about downloading some data...I can't be specific because I am at work and it is banned on our campus.

13. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Here is what it looks like: Click Download All Prospects...

[​IMG]

14. Goose

Goose Walk On

Holy COW!!! I just downloaded the file for the first time and that thing is F'ing SWEEEET!! That will cut recruiting time in half at the beginning of the year.

15. bdub

bdub Walk On

Yeah awhile back a couple of guys were working on creating a spreadsheet to sort the info but not sure if they ever finished.

16. Goose

Goose Walk On

This becomes an excel spreadsheet.

17. bdub

bdub Walk On

Yeah but I mean matching up the catagories with the numbers and then setting it up so you can sort by the different catagories.

18. Goose

Goose Walk On

Gottcha