POLL: Future TFL Cup Format

Discussion in 'TSL Cup' started by Broncos218, Aug 26, 2011.

?

What format would you prefer for the TFL Cup?

1. Current format (1 game per round, similar to the FA Cup)

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Group format (4 teams per group and advance to knockout, similar to World Cup)

12 vote(s)
    80.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

I'll be running the TFL Cup starting next season, and after seeing some of the responses you all had in the Looking Ahead thread, plus talking w/ RedAL and others, we'd like to hold a poll as to which format people prefer for future TFL Cups. The general idea is one of two formats:

1) Keep Cup as is (FA Cup-style). This is our current format, where teams are drawn round-by-round to play in one-game matches, with any draws resulting in a replay

2) Change to a group format (World Cup-style). This format is pretty much identical to the World Cup, where we would draw 4 teams per group, each would play each other once, and the top 2 per group advance to a knockout stage.

Also, we'll hopefully have 32 teams in for season 3, which would be ideal for both formats. But should we get less, accommodations could be made. For example, we could continue to have a few teams receive byes in the FA Cup-style, or similar to a FIFA U-20 World Cup, 24 teams could enter 6 groups, with 16 still advancing on. Either way, we would guarantee that every team competes in the TFL Cup, regardless of eventual league size.

We can still tweak the formats in general though, so feel free to share any ideas/comments/suggestions/life tips below

2. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

FYI, the tags didn't work for some reason so hopefully everyone just finds their way on here because this is an important thing to get people's opinions on.

Voted!

3. shiftee

shiftee Walk On

group format is great and also knockout should be home and away until the finals just like the champions league.

4. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

I wouldn't mind home and away as long as away goals don't count as a tiebreaker because we all know it doesn't make any difference in FIFA whether you are home or away.

5. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    tag worked for me. i like group play, mainly for the reason that your entire tournament isn't dependent on one game, or on the draw. i had both a tough draw and a pretty poor showing against TDot this year, itd be nice if that wasn't my only tourney game, be nice to get a little more out of it even if you don't advance.

6. Vlad

Vlad Inaugural Masters Champion

Featured Threads:
    home and away minus the away goals.
    I didn't vote since I don't see this option.

The beauty of tournament play always been in 1-2 matches the worse teams can surprise the better ones.

Group play just feels just too similar to league play,plus will create more matches which can be a problem for some

7. RedAL925

RedAL925 TSL Commissioner

we will figure out specifics later. right now we're just trying to see what everyone would prefer format-wise, groups or no groups

8. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    no groups.i vote for variety.

Here are some issues I have with groups:

* too complicated if we get 3 leagues/36 teams for next year
    *more matches= longer seasons.This makes it much easier for weaker teams to give up.Much rather to be able to play more seasons,to keep interest going
    *Format might call for some serious beatings.If you,Friz and Paulitix ( randomly trowing names in there ) are in a same group with me and get equal points from matches between you,comes up to GD.Then I can see better players winning by 6-7 goals,because they have to in order to advance.

Here is a thought next year we have Euro 2012 we can do National teams tournament with the structure you guys suggest

9. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

10. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

If we did World Cup-style, we wouldn't have home/away like champs league in the knockout. We're already adding games with the groups, and if you get to the finals, you shouldn't have to play 10 games. There's a better chance of home/away in FA Cup-style, but I don't think home/away makes a ton of sense for us. Home/Away is used in real-life to allow for fairness in regard to home-field (hence the champs lg format), but when it's already set to a neutral field, it's just 1 game (World Cup, champs lg final). With FIFA, we don't really have home-field advantage, so we're essentially just turning a 90 min game into a 180 min game.

11. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

Also, if we did do a group format, teams would be put into pots and drawn, so as to not make a group too top or bottom heavy. Additionally, 24 and 32 would be best, but 36, 28, and even 30 still work. Just look at UEFA World Cup qualifying... they have 9 groups of either 5 or 6, only top advances, and the others enter a playoff. Not saying we'd follow that exact format, but it's a way around a non-perfect number

12. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

And this just poped into my mind... Don't think it's used anywhere in soccer, but perhaps we could also do a double-elimination tourney (like the college world series) to allow people to get over one bad game. Just something to throw out there

13. Booger_Mac

Booger_Mac Walk On

I vote World Cup style.

14. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

The thing I like about the idea of having a group stage is that it gives people who are in the "middle" (not in danger of being relegated but not having a chance at the title/or promotion) something to play for in being seeded better for next season's competition. True this might not be something that is a great deal, but it could give those users who feel like their games are not significant near the end of the season that extra push to give it their all in their games.

15. shiftee

shiftee Walk On

truthfully if we don't have home and away then to me it doesn't matter if we keep it as is or change to group stage format so please disregard my vote for the group stage format.

the actual vote should now be 5-3 for group stage format.

16. BESHIKTAS

BESHIKTAS Almighty Black Eagles

VOTED!!!

17. hedache

hedache Walk On

I think we should call and ask EA if there is home advantage and make a decision based on the answer of that. This is just blindly making decisions, I do not approve.

18. IJGator

IJGator Walk On

I vote World Cup Style! For teams that are in the middle or bottom of the table, the TFL is no longer a one and done tourney.

19. juanchoCT14

juanchoCT14 Walk On

World cup style for me. Might see a problem adding more games but worth a shot. Would be gereat getting to play more teams that are in other divisions and you would hardly play

20. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

I've always kinda wondered if there was any, but I've never found some when googling. I just counted up the number of home/away wins thus far in all serie a/b games this season, and there were 55 home wins and 64 away wins. I haven't seen FIFA 12 say anything about homefield, so I'd doubt they'd incorporate it for the next FIFA w/o ever hyping it up

EDIT: in the EPL last year, there were 179 home wins, and just 90 away wins. Pretty significant factor, which makes H/A more reasonable

21. hedache

hedache Walk On

You would think they would add something of some sort. Like away teams certain attributes getting effected in bigger stadiums against some of the major opponents, ref calls being effected (although this is already happening probably unintentional by EA). There should be home away difference in my opinion, but unless we get confirmation from the developers, it is kind of impossible to tell.

22. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    If this was the case,some geeks somewhere would've figure it out by now,and ranked games would be impossible to play as nobody would join your session and play as the visiting team.

23. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

There are times when I feel as the away team I concede more freekicks. But then again that might have to do with the different ref officiating the game or something. I know there are times where I barely touch the opponent and I get carded for a "foul".

24. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

FIFA does have different ref tendencies. You can check them out in the game settings... bunch of refs, and they have something like lenient/normal/strict ratings for cards and fouls

25. RedAL925

RedAL925 TSL Commissioner

it's looking like group stage has the majority vote...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.