Position Change adjustments for '10

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by Drifterbub, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Position Change adjustments for '10

Time to revisit these rules and make them effective for '10. It's probably too early to see if any one attribute can dominate the way that speed did in '09. So with that in mind here are the rules from last year.

*** All currently pending for 2010
    Position Changes
    Pos Notes
    QB: No Restrictions
    RB: No Restrictions
    FB: Restricted
    Weight restriction > 220 lbs
    Speed restriction < 90
    WR: No restrictions
    TE: Restricted
    Weight restriction > 220 lbs
    Speed restriction < 90
    OL: No restrictions
    DT: Restricted
    Weight restriction > 265 lbs
    DE: Restricted
    Weight restriction > 225 lbs
    Speed Restriction < 90
    OLB: Restricted
    Weight restriction > 210 lbs
    Speed Restriction < 92
    MLB: Restricted
    Weight restriction > 215 lbs
    Speed restriction < 92
    DB: No restrictions
    RET: Restricted
    Speed Restriction < 93

Here are my suggestions:

TE:
    minimum height of 6'2''
    maximum speed of 87'
    Minimum weight for < 6'4'' is 230
    If height > 6'4'', min weight can be > 220

DE:
    speed restriction < 84
    weight minimum if < 6'4'' is 230
    If height > 6'4'', min weight can be > 220

OLB:
    weight restriction > 205
    speed restriction < 86

MLB:
    weight restriction > 215
    speed restriction < 86

RET:
    No restrictions

What does everyone think?

2. DigginGraves

DigginGraves Walk On

I understand the weight rules.... but I think speed being outlawed shouldn't be a factor in our decisions.... for now anyways.

Last year Speed was the most important thing by far... they have addressed that. So if I can bring in an OLB that is 6'3, 240 with 88 speed than I think that should be ok. Yes they have to be big enough to play the positions. A FB has to be 225 or whatever... but if he's fast than that should be a benefit you can take advantage of if he meets the size requirements.

3. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

Diggin, please understand this is only on position changes. If you can recruit an OLB that is 6'3" 240 with 88 speed, then it is all good.

88 Speed in this game is really moving. I don't have a problem with 88 speed as top speed for an OLB, but 90 was just too much.

That would be smart for us since we need a difference between OLB and DE in speed variation.

4. DigginGraves

DigginGraves Walk On

my bad.... I wasn't thinking its only for position changes....

5. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I don't think speed might be a factor on offense, but I feel that it might be a bit excessive on defense.

The best thing about this is that we can always adjust it. So if anyone has evidence that someone should be different, this is an open forum (literally) to discuss it and try to get something down in writing that is fair to everyone.

6. OMlawdog

Drifter, one thought about TE speed. SInce it is OLB that normally cover TE do you think the speed should be fairly even. If I can recruit a 90 speed TE and you can only recruit a 86 speed OLB, Im at an advantage.

What about a max position change speed of 88 for both TE and OLB with 85 speed for DE.

Once again 88 speed is I think 4.46 speed, which outside of Vernon Davis is top end NFL speed for a TE and OLB

I just don't think we should have that big of a disparity between TE and OLB since they are normally matched up. Thoughts?

7. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I think 88 is too high considering most Wrs and HBs come in at less than that.

TEs should be able to outrun LBs, that's why they are playing TE and not DE. They should also be taller, more agile and have better hands.

4.46 is top end NFL speed IRL for Wrs. So, it doesn't translate to the game. Very rarely do you even see college LBs, TEs or even skilled positions run mid 4.40s.

EA just needs to hire me to do ratings... it's that simple. I can fix their whole issue.

8. OMlawdog

What do you think 88 speed for TE and 86 for LB?

9. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I'm thinking 87 for TE because it brings it above 4.5. 86 for LBs and 84 for DEs.

Another thing I want to consider is not diluting the elite speed at each position. So if 88 is going to be the fastest speed the CPU will generate for a position, I want our pos changes restrictions to stop us at 86.

I don't want it to be a scenario that allows you to move a player to a position and have him be better than all recruits native to that position that the CPU generates.

10. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

I think with the whole speed thing being fixed that speed shouldn't be a issue...I don't think we will find many 6'4"+ 230+ WR that that are 90+speed. If they have 90+ speed why would you move them to TE when they could kill the 5'10 185 CB?

To be quite honest if we are trying to represnet real football the trend if football is everyone is getting bigger and faster...look at Patrick Willis that guy is probably 1 of the fastest guys on the field.

11. OMlawdog

BBJ, my opinion is that though the speed issue is fixed, we still need safeguards in place to make sure that a 6'4" 225 TE with 90 speed that is a 56 OVR is leading the league in catches due to match up problems.

As for P-willie, you are talking about my boy, and he is a beast, but he ran a 4.41 at his combine and if you can find a MLB that has those numbers that is great, but once again we are only talking about position changes.

PWillie was a LB in HS, LB in college, and will be one in the pros.

I think what we are doing is ensuring that position changes aren't taken advantage of. In real life if you move a SS to OLB it takes a little while for an adjustment, on this game it doesn't at all. Same with moving a WR to a TE.

Im in favor of the speed changes and weight restrictions listed above. Please remember this is only when they are moved. If your OLB improves to an 88 speed by his Senior year, that is ok.

All that matter is that what he meets at the time he is switched.

Objections?

12. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Exactly the question everyone who plays 'sim' football asks themselves. But it's always better to have something in writing, that way if something iffy comes up, we can refer back to it. Also levels the playing field for someone.

I think speed will still be a bit of an issue, but this year it will be on the defensive side of the ball.

13. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

I don't mind the 90 0ver for TE i just think 89 or lower should be ok.... I just think we should dtick to last yrs restrictions. If we have those restrictions last yr when speed was such a huge factor why lower them when it's not as big of a factor? that's all i am saying.

14. theSANDMAN215

theSANDMAN215 Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI

I have a TE that I red-shirted this year that I'm pretty sure has 88 speed. So is it cool if I keep him at TE? He's actually the back-up QB at VT in real life, but I have a feeling he'll still red-shirt in real life.

He actually went to the high school I went to as well. Kind of cool.

15. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    We set them there because everyone had them, so it was a method of making it a fair playing field.

Again, I think if you want a good TE, you should have to recruit him. I want to limit pos changes in such a way as to not degrade the value of a good recruit. There will be no TEs that the CPU generates that will have 90 speed.

16. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    and TE is something I'm being careful with this year because I think it will be utilized more, much like WRs were last year.

17. theSANDMAN215

edit: nevermind. i don't like my idea.

18. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

so did we agree upon anything different here?

19. OMlawdog

Not sure yet, I think these should be implemented.

As far as natural TE's, no one has a problem with a CPU created or natural TE with 89 or even 93 speed if they exist.

Just talking about position changes. If there is a 5'7" 140 CPU created TE with 97 speed, have at it.

Of course, I reserve the right to call you out on such bullshit.

20. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Sort of. Wish more people would chime in. Seems like lawdog and I are the only ones who are fighting to restrict position changes.

I just don't want it to be like last year where most of the good TEs and LBs (among other positions) were converted recruits from some other position. I want 90%+ of the stars at any position to be natural recruits. Call it the stoneburner clause, but it just eliminates the chances of any thing coming up later as an unfair advantage, IMO.

21. theSANDMAN215

no position changes at all? call it crazy.

22. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

I normally don't do too many changes. This year I've recruited a few athletes so I will be doing some. I like the idea of changing the speed restrictions with the new version of the game. One thing I like is what Drifter (I think) mentioned about taking away speed restrictions on return guys. I know this year my return guys felt like they were running in quick sand.

As far as tight ends go, I don't have a whole lot of opinion on that because Georgia Tech doesn't use them.

23. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

I really dont have an opinion on TE's whatver you guys decide is fine, i guess their should be a restrictions for changing players but overall recruits should be whatever.... i agree with lower the linebackers weight restrictions... as most of the linebackers are smaller than last year....

24. bogey21

bogey21 Walk On

I like the idea of keeping position changes on the lower end, I would like to see the best player at any position be a guy that was recruited at that position.

It would suck to battle it out to get the #1 TE recruit because he was a stud, and have someone else recruit the #20 reciever with similar # and just slide him in there.

25. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Exactly, you get it.