Position Change Question

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by GoGators, Sep 29, 2010.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Position Change Question

I've identified my two possible guys to move to FB if I don't find one this offseason during recruiting. Both are currently guards. Keep in mind I run an air raid playbook and am in the shotgun 99% of the time. Only time I use a fullback is goal line and that's only if I'm on the 1 yd line.

Option 1:
    JR Chris Brown
    6'3" 295 lbs
    62 spd
    80 acc
    Rushing attributes range 40-60
    Above average run blocking: 73 run block, 70 run block footwork, 81 run block strength

Option 2:
    FR Jordan Crenshaw
    6'1" 270 lbs
    66 spd
    95 acc
    Rushing attributes range 0-40
    Below average run blocking: 89 run block, 57 footwork, 66 run block strength

I'd prefer to use Brown because he's more suited to the position. He actually has rushing attributes which would suggest he's carried the ball at some point in his life, maybe JV. Brown is buried on the depth chart and will likely never see the field at G. Crenshaw is young and could develop into a decent G over time.

The only issue/question is the height limit on FBs is 6'2". Brown is 6'3", but I don't think I am gaining any sort of advantage from him being an inch taller. Will this be an ok position change to make in the offseason?

2. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

i am fine with brown since you don't use a FB.

3. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

If u don't use a FB, why not just take a walk on?

4. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

or that...

5. GoGators

Because there is no such thing as a walk on in this game. In real life a walk on would enroll and play w/o using up one of your scholarships. In this game, a walk on takes the place of a scholarshiped player on your roster.

I don't see any point in taking a walk on when I have capable guys on my roster to play the position. I'd rather use one of the current guys on my team than take a walk on and cut one of these guys.

I'd like to get a good FB, I just haven't been able to.

6. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

You can get a FB, just not a good one. I have signed a two star and one star FB, because Im freaking required to have a FB.

My only problem is that you can have the FB play at backup OG, and your good, where if I put my legit FB at RG, he gets destroyed.

Essentially it gives you two more scholarships either for TE or OL since you don't use a FB. I know you aren't trying to gain an advantage on anyone by playing these guys at FB, but since they could be backup OL in a pinch, that is an advantage.

Just sign a crap FB, I have done it twice already, its not that painful.

7. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

You might have to sign a 1 or 2 start FB.

8. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

Basically they are saying lower your standards homie.... Grab a one star....

9. GoGators

Then I have to ask what's the point of allowing position changes? Some guys are capable of playing two positions. It's college football after all.

I don't see how moving a G to FB is different from moving an OLB to safety or DE to DT or vice versa.

Also, I'm pretty sure the abilities of a FB and a guard matchup pretty evenly. Only difference is the FB will probably have slightly better rushing and catching skills but should be able to block in the same range as the guard.

10. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

my response in red

11. GoGators

I'll give ya that OM. You make good points. I just scrolled one page of FB recruits on the dynasty wire, the largest one I found was 258. So granted you are correct that 275+ may be a stretch. If you want to take it so far as to say real life though, then in real life I wouldn't even be required to have a FB with the playbook I use. Now granted, we all have to play by EA's rules, so I'll concede that point.

However, I'll use the Gators as a point of reference. They use Trey Burton, our backup QB as our FB in many situations because with the spread personnel, he's our best fit. Also, when UF went to their Gator Heavy package in years past, who did they put in as their full backs in front of Tebow for short yardage situations? Guards and DTs. So why would it be inappropriate for me to use a G at fullback when it's only going to be for one formation that's rarely used and in real life you see plenty of examples where G's and D linemen are used in this position.

I'll even kick it old school to ya. I know you remember seeing this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPmSJ6Txwto

12. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

i believe in the gators heavy formation a lineman is in the backfield..i know when i have been practicing with playbooks with gators heave my backup LT has been in the backfield... but thats on formation. just like your not going to line lineman at the WR spots all game, but they are in the missouri playbook monster formation...

13. GoGators

No FBs were added this offseason. There's a 1 star I'm going after but he's not even interested in me. Maybe I can get him, but we'll have to wait and see.

14. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I have more of a problem with Brown than I do Crenshaw. Just to OM's point.

However, it's not like you are a pro-style team. It would be different if you had a G at fullback in my offense where we ran it down your throat all game. I would say, as long as you aren't excessively taking advantage of it by going to utilizing him on every short down play (including 3rd and 4th downs), then I think we can look past your recruiting ineptitude. :)

Honestly, you are better off putting some scrub, slow HB recruit there and just continuing to run the spread in short yardage situations like Missouri-like teams do in real life.

15. GoGators

I looked at moving a HB there, but all of my HBs are small fast Warrick Dunn types and I had a lot of depth there this season so I didn't look at recruiting another one.

My initial thought was to just use a TE to fulfill the position requirements, but all those guys exceed the height requirements. I think this is the typical thing you see a lot of spread offenses do since they don't run a traditional two back set, you see more of an H back where the TE is in a winged position. Then, if they do go into a goalline formation or something of the like you see them do some substitution with a lineman, TE, or LB.

16. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    A typical H-back isn't really tall and lean though. Frank Wycheck and Chris Cooley are probably your prototypical H-back. If there is a typical one. Probably not.

Like I said, I don't have a problem with a smaller OL there, but it shouldn't be abused.

17. GoGators

I've also got a 6'4" 265 lbs TE that I could move which would make more sense weight wise, but he is over the height restriction. Let me know which would make more sense.