Position changes question

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by bcduggan, May 12, 2012.

1. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Trying to keep myself accountable in dynasty I run. I have an extra TE. I am short one on the Oline. Is it realistic to move a tight end of 6'3" 259 lbs to offensive tackle?

2. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

I don't see anything wrong with this. I don't see how moving that TE to OT gives you any sort of unfair advantage.

3. broth262

broth262 Dirty Terps

Featured Threads:
    He is kind of short to be a OT, but like was said above, it doensn't really give you an advantage like when a Reciever is at TE or RB or something to that affect, so I don't see why it would be a problem.

4. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

It doesn't give me any real advantage. He doesn't start at OT. He was starting at TE, and he was best blocking TE I have. My main purpose was to avoid a walkon at OT.

I asked on TSO, because you guys are really good with answers and reasoning behind them.

5. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I would have moved him to guard where he is less vulnerable and slit a guard to tackle.

6. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

Yeah my thoughts too. If anything moving that TE to OT is more of a disadvantage. That's a move made out of necessity for a failure to keep the proper depth not out of an attempt to play the system.

7. mikedeep97

mikedeep97 Walk On

The most realistic position for a player of his size is Center. AVG OC is probably in the range of 6'1-2" 275-280lbs. AVG OTs these days are in the 6'5"+ 300lbs+ range. Plus at OC, if he has to play it'll probably be as a third option (as an OG will probably go ahead of him) and he's protected on both sides except against odd fronts.

8. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Ok, I think I understand the logic given.

Looking at my rosters, at the time I moved the player, I had 3 Tackles, 3 Guards, 3 Centers, and 4 Tight Ends. I moved one of the centers to guard, and the TE went to OT. If I have to switch poistions like that again, I should move the TE to guard and the center to tackle.

At time I took over team(LSU), I had changed some of the Oline positions because somehow when I took over the starting center was 43 overall. All position changes for the OLine were from the Oline though then.

9. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    If his blocking attributes are decent then he could make a very good run blocker on the second level if he also has good acc. I have recruited some smaller quick lineman to go with a quick hitting rushing attack.

10. trevorg234

trevorg234 Walk On

In real football tight ends switch to tackles and vice versa all the time. I don't see anything wrong with this at all.

A blocking tight tend is essentially a movable tackle anyways. Most receiving TEs motion out to the slot or the backfield on passing downs as well.

11. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Wrong.

Although the transition happens in real life more frequently than allowed by the game, it does not happen as often as you think. If anything the most common transition for a TE is to and from DE. These positions require a lot of the same skillset from an athletic standpoint.

A prospect who is large enough and strong enough to play even right tackle and athletic enough to play tight end is very rare. Again, it happens but not often enough to worry about.

I was more concerned about fixing the TEs that are generated in the game. Over 3/4 of them were bean poles.

• Like Like x 1
  12. trevorg234

trevorg234 Walk On

I realize what you're saying, but the difference between a small tackle and big tight end is not that great. Especially considering that many teams have unbalanced formations where a tackle checks in at tight end and lines up outside the right or left tackle. I've seen some FCS tackles that only weigh about 270 pounds or so.

The DE/OLB-TE transition is definitely the most common, though. I agree 100%.

13. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    If there wasn't a big difference, then unbalanced formations wouldn't exist.

Unbalanced formations are such an advantage because there is a big difference between a TE and T. The disadvantage is having a big honker as an eligible receiver who doesn't catch 50-60 passes every practice.

To put it into context, you also have to be clear what body types you are talking about. The kids from Stanford are going to be closer to a tackle than Michael Egnew from Missouri. So yes, you have better run blockers in some different archetypes.

14. trevorg234

trevorg234 Walk On

No doubt it varies by program/system. Like you said: a kid from Michigan State or Iowa is generally going to have a larger frame and better blocking technique than one from Houston.

15. LSUTRUTH

LSUTRUTH The one and only

Te to tackle happens alot more than you think Drifter. Now a days with offenses being more wide open Tackles are required to be more and more athletic and have good feet. Not elite running TE are being converted more and more. Teams have no issue adding size to a player. That is done by diet and weight training. Just saying

16. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Two current NFL players that played TE in college stand out at other positions at NFL level in this conversation

Trevor Scott played TE in college at Buffalo before moving to defensive end. He was drafted by the Raiders. I thought he played OLB for Oakland but I could be wrong. I know New England signed him in March and he will probably play DE there.

Jason Peters played TE in college and moved to LT in the NFL. Most recently he ruptured his right achilles tendon for the second time this offseason sometime over last few days. That's according to an espn story posted an hour ago.

17. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I think Peters came into the NFL pushing 300 and Scott was 260ish. So both were in line size with their new position.

18. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    And your point? Antonio Gates and Jeremy Graham were both basketball players prior to being successful in the NFL. That doesn't mean that all basketball players make good TEs.

Rob Gronkowski is from another planet. That doesn't make all extraterrestrials dominant at TE.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen in real life. But it's not a huge problem if it doesn't translate to the college football video game, in my opinion. It's such a small percentege, case-by-case basis that it would be hard to represent that in the game.

You guys will be much happier with the dynamic athletes.

19. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Wasn't making a point really, only reason those 2 stuck out in my mind was they both played in buffalo, where I am from. Scott in college, Peters in NFL. Scott was around 240-245 in college. Pretty sure Peters was at least 300 when he started in nfl.

20. charter04

charter04 Walk On

Jason Peters was 300 + in college. He only played TE because Arkansas ran 70% of the time. They had Shawn Andrews at RT and Peters was more of a third T. He caught a few passes but, he was he was 6'4 305 lb.

21. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Jason peters also played te for the bills caught a td pass from losman even blocked a punt before they converted him to left tackle.