Possible use of HB in the FB role question...........

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by kdpnutter, Apr 11, 2011.

1. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Okay, I hate to rehash things but I wanted to bring this back up, in the sense I am thinking of using Hillis more in the FB role as Cox gets tired quickly (I use a FB a lot as I am a running team) and would rather not use a TE in that spot, with Hillis having a FB rating of 84 and having previously been a FB I am wondering since he does not have great breakaway speed at a whopping 85 speed, can we come to some type of sense or agreement on this so before I stick him in as a FB I want to make sure this is something people are okay with.

What I'm saying is as long as a RB does not have speed over 85 they can be played as FB as long as their FB rating is above an 80, or something along this lines, I think we need a speed restriction in the matter at the very least. But I would like to use Hillis in the role splitting in with Cox and getting more carries as HB also so he sees the field more often for me. Since Hillis was a FB before this past season (NFL wise) I'd like to be able to get the duel use out of him.

I am in no way talking about sticking two speed demons in the backfield but a legit FB size guy in the position of FB.

Any objections? Thoughts, concerns?

I did bump the old thread so others could view it if they so wished but some opinions may have changed also.

2. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

This was already discussed and voted against.

I would like to see the RB/FB swap to be allowed, but the majority of the league saw otherwise. But I don't think it would be fair to say only RB's under 85 speed can play FB. If your going to allow it then any RB would be able to do it, but there should be a restriction on how many times you can do it. Say a couple times a game.

Regardless it was voted down, and I don't see anything changing regarding this rule.

3. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Well the reason I say the speed restriction is especially it pretty much is the fact that they are a FB and not coming close to splitting hairs, they can legit be called a FB.

4. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

So can I get some people's opinions regarding this? I'm talking in terms of using guys like Brandon Jacobs or Peyton Hillis as a FB not saying sticking two guys that are like 90+ speed guys in both positions. Having some rules in regards to it.

5. sibellius

sibellius Too legit to quit

My only concern is that other then speed I'm assuming Hillis is going to have higher RB-related attributes then your average FB which could be seen as an unfair advantage.

6. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

I don't care. the game is far from realistic as it now stands. Jesus H Christ the Bill are two time defending SB champs................why not play Hillis at FB? Really the only thing parallel to the NFL is that the TMFL Cowboy continually choke when it matters........................oh and the Seahawks reek :)

Seriously I don't care. We don't seem to have a problem with teams throwing 6 times a game and running non stop why are we picky about 2 backs in the game at one time?? Shit I don't even run in my games and no one has a problem with that.

7. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

The rule is currently that HB's can be subbed in, in split back sets like Pro form or Shotgun 2backs - Unless I hear enough people wanting that changed, I'm not going to change it. It devalues actual FB's. People like me spent FA $$$ and made moves to get a decent FB so I don't want to see that changed. Other people drafted good FB's - this would be undercutting their previous efforts.

8. Keller

Thats a good point but I feel like the FB dive with guys like Hillis and B Jacobs is just unstoppable/unfair/unrealistic whatever you want to call it in 3rd and short.

9. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Well I do have a good FB but also have a good other FB in Hillis so with Cox getting a lot of use I'd like to be able to use Hillis also because I did spend money last season in FA for a FB but dont want to use a TE at FB when he is tired because the TE's are like high 50's at FB and Hillis is an 84 at FB so Hillis is still going to remain my backup FB and will see the field about a 50-50 ratio with Cox since my FB gets tired since most of the time I use a two back set.

As for the 3rd and short, I hate to say it but when guys come out and run it, unless we get lucky and somehow come up with a stop the FB dive about 95% of the time gets the first down anyways so it wouldn't be a big difference with Hillis/Jacobs

10. Keller

You'll get no argument from me if your FB is winded and Hillis automatically subs in. You'll also get no argument from me as far as FB dives go - its a higher percentage play but as a guy who runs it with the FB quite a bit - its not unstoppable. With Jacobs/Hills - it pretty much is.

11. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Okay that's all I'm saying is Cox will still see his fair share of time on the field but don't want teams shocked and surprised if you see Hillis in at FB. As someone who doesn't run the FB dive play really at all, I think I did it maybe twice over the entire season Hillis for the FB dive isn't something that would be getting done by me a lot.

12. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

A lot of us have been here a while too. And honestly how often do we have to address game play issues. Maybe it would be something to put in and see how it goes. 'Nutter stops running anything but the FB Dive. Then we could take it out? Look at

13. Keller

Theres never been a problem with having your HB as a backup FB I don't think. I think there needs to be a clearcut rule though - you shouldn't be subbing him in manually. If he comes in occasionally because your FB is winded, that is fine.

14. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

And I've never seen my FB winded to where he's automatically subbed in.

15. Keller

I've had it happen before, but I use my FB more than most.