Post-season recruiting

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Archie Griffin, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Post-season recruiting

Just thinking about it. What if we tied some kind of accomplishment in season to the guys we can recruit at the season's end? Win your conference, sign an extra whatever - like before - only do it right away.

How it works out, I don't much care. I bet Dat can come up with something. But it seems like a fairly sim thing to do. Guys do well, the new recruits get interested, if you know what I mean.

AG

2. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

Yeah, that makes sense. Plus everyone loves a more immediate reward.

I wouldn't overdo it too much - maybe one bonus guy total, with his star rating depending on the accomplishment.

3. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I like the idea, but I don't think it can be tied to winning your conference since we have 2 independents here.

4. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

I like the idea. I think we'd need to use it very sparingly.

If the newly added recruits in the offseason are #'s 1, 11, 21, etc, that might gives us roughly 4-5's and 20-4's (assuming they add 4*'s all the way through the 200's). Maybe an extra 5 to the national champ (or they can take a 4 if they prefer) and an extra 4 to the conference champs (with some other incentive for the independents - BCS berth / win?).

I like the concept. It should be easy to plan out once we're certain on the formula for who the offseason additions are.

5. Razcalking1978

In the past we've tied it to multiple things - winning conferences, making bowl games, winning bowl games, showing up for user games, etc.

I'd suggest a system where you get one recruit who's rating is based on the "best" thing you accomplished.

6. What if we made it simple and did either 0 or 1 5-Star recruit a season. Then the CPU would get 5 stars and we would have relevant opponents.

7. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I think it should be accomplishment related, and also ONLY for people who lose guys to transfers/professional ranks. If you don't have anyone leave, I don't think you should be eligible.

8. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Just want to keep talking about this.

-Do we want to ban promises? They are a big advantage over the CPU, and I've read that they might be buggy.

I think we should leave the newly introduced offseason recruits alone, with these exceptions:

-Winning a conference allows you to take an extra 4*. He can come from among the existing or new recruits. For independents, winning a BCS game or a championship game berth earns this reward.

-National champion gets an extra 5* or 4* (your choice), existing or new recruit.

With 15-20 new 5 & 4* recruits introduced in the offseason, this will allow us to pick off 5 or 6 of them.

9. Razcalking1978

What about allowing us to sign 3-star or lower recruits to fill up classes?

10. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Yeah, that's no problem because I don't think they introduce any new 3*'s in the offseason. Certainly anyone who was there in the regular season, regardless of ranking, is available if you have the space in your allotment/class.

However, I still think we should consider not using promises on anyone.

11. Razcalking1978

I'd agree with no promises. Trad has had that rule all along - the CPU just can't compete.

12. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think a tie to achievement might be a cool thing. I mean, buys who play in the big one probably do have a real advantage in that particular off-season.

Also, I think a lot of these guys are juco kids, meaning there's a catch. Signing jucos can lower your academic prestige, which is something we all have to consider.

Or, we could do a luck-of-the-draw kind of thing, and restrict it to in-state or pipeline states or something else.

I just think it might make things interesting if a brand new way to recruit is introduced in the off-season, something fresh but not ridiculous - something that makes us look at the board differently, if you know what I mean. I think we could really add something to the system if we find a way to make the off-season something other than an extension of the regular system. No idea how to do that, but I think we should try to make it an opportunity, yet without making it silly.

What if we made off-season guys cost 2 scholarships each? You would have to hold 2 spots to take a guy, and you won't know if there's a guy to take. Just the first thing that popped into my head.

AG

13. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

I kind of like the idea of the new guys being closely tied to their region or state...I mean, if some guy here in Oklahoma was an unknown for most of the season but breaks out later on in the season, who do we think is going to know about it sooner? Local schools, of course. So, if a guy busts out and becomes a new 4* guy, shouldn't OU, OSU, Kansas, Texas and other "local" schools have more of an edge on the guy??

14. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Do we have any idea how many new recruits show up? If its a small grouping and you save scholarships for it you can use them. If you have one left you can sign one guy in the offseason.

If you save one and dont get em you still have that one for the next season.

If you save three you can sign three guys. Its a chance you take, it may pay off and it might not.

15. Geauxlden

Geauxlden Walk On

I think that the total number of new recruits is somewhere around 15-20. I'd be in favor of making it achievement based, but wouldn't have a problem with the regional idea either.

As I've said before, in my earlier sims the CPU is very slow to offer most of these guys so we may want to discuss whether or not we need to wait a couple of weeks before offering them.

16. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Ditto Geauxlden's post.

Whatever we do, we need to recognize how little competition the CPU provides in the offseason and preserve some of the new guys for them.

17. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

I like the pipeline idea along with having a scholly left to give. Dont we limit the recruiting in season enough that the CPU should gobble up a ton of the talent?

It would be nice to be able to get lucky and nab a stud five star in the offseason.

Maybe limit it to one or two players and they have to be interested.

I really dont like the idea of making it only for teams that win a conference or national title.

Thats a rich get richer approach which while realistic doesnt take into account that for the most part we all have good schools that get top level talent regardless of if they win the BCS or not.

18. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Firstly, is this true? I've never signed JUCOs before since I want a kid for 4 years, but the only guy I've signed in this OD was a JUCO. Did I just hurt myself because of this?

Secondly, we certainly need to be careful with how many of these guys we let ourselves sign. The #1 recruit in the country will be a bonus guy. The current #1 kid is ridiculous so I can't imagine how good the new #1 guy will be. Also, there'll be a lot of guys added. I think it'll be 4 :5stars: and a ton of new :4stars:.

Lastly, we should decide how we're going to do this soon. Some of us have already signed our allotment of non-bonus :5stars: guys and I'm sure the rest of us already have a guy lined up for that. If I know that I'll have a shot at signing the #1 guy in the country, then I might not want to sign that #8 guy that I'm currently about to sign. Especially if I know that others have already hit their quota and can't even go after him.

19. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I have "the guy" visiting this weekend. I haven't thought about strategizing much because I had one guy in my sights from the start. Now, a bonus 5 (like the G at #10) would be nice, but Dat soft committed the guy last week. I'm A+ on his top three pitches, and Illinois is a rivalry game (I have him visiting) , so I think I have a shot, but who knows.

Still, I'm going to have a banner class. I like the three star guys I have targeted, my fours are in places I really need them, and my lone five (if it turns out that way) looks like a real stud. I'll be happy with whatever we work out, but I think we should have some options in the off-season to try to turn the new guys into something fun for everyone.

What if we just said everyone can sign one new recruit, period. Whatever the caliber, just one new recruit, staying under the number, of course. It's a second shot for guys who didn't get top guys in season, and a chance to turn a good class into a great one for those who did.

Just a thought.

20. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I like this. It's simple and won't screw up our current recruiting strategy.

21. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Could it be a MLB from Ohio? Just a wild guess?

One new guy each might be too many though. And we'd probably get all the good ones leaving just the lower ranked 4's for the CPU. I think most of us will have solid classes signed up before the offseason. If that's the case, we should leave some quality for the CPU.

What about going with the same concept we have now of creating competition and some buzz around a few key recruits? Something like we pick out some numbers (if the new recruits' ranks are predicatable) and make it a free for all on 20-30% of the new guys? Maybe the BCS winners have the ability to make promises on these guys or one of these guys, which gives them an edge, but doesn't guarantee they'll win them if they weren't in the top 5-10 to begin with.

22. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Yeah, that MLB is just my kind of guy. Been drooling over him from day one.

Just picked up the #3 MLB, too. Joey McConnell, a 5'9", 252 pound monster with B speed. He's going to hurt some people.

23. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

That MLB that Daz got is going to be a stud as well, the guy that Florida got is solid as well. I guess I'm not the only guy who needs a MLB.

24. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

I really like my MLB, McFarland. I would have rather signed a Safety or CB as my 5*, but McFarland was just too good to pass up. ND is going to be absolutely loaded at LB 3 years from now. I can't remember the details on how they compare, but I remember thinking AG's target was slightly better overall while my guy had his strengths in certain areas. Both are freaks.

25. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Alright, I have a little data to share regarding the added postseason recruits. I did 2 sims last night. Here is where the recruits were added (it appears the additions are just in the 4's and 5's, no new 3's).

Test 1:
    1, 11, 21, 31, 41, 51, 61, 71, 81, 91, 101, 111, 121, 131, 140, 150, 160, 170, 180, 190, 201, 211, 221, 231, 241, 251, 261, 271, 281

Test 2:
    1, 11, 21, 31, 41, 51, 61, 71, 81, 91, 101, 111, 121, 131, 145, 155, 163, 173, 181, 191, 201, 211, 221, 231, 241, 251, 261, 270, 280

-In both tests, 1, 11, 21, and 31 were 5*'s, 41+ are 4's
    -After the additions, there were 38 total 5*'s in the first test, 31 in the 2nd.

The good: We know how many new recruits we're looking at (4 5*'s, and 25 4*'s). We know the distribution is pretty even, with a new recruit added in every 10 slots on average.

The bad: I couldn't figure out why, but somehow the order got off in both tests, then came back to the "1's" (and in the 2nd test, got off again at the end). So we're not going to be able to necessarily put in a rule before hand that says exactly which #'s are eligible / ineligible. And it probably means that someone (I'll do it for us) is going to have to make a list before the offseason recruits are added so that we know exactly who is new. You can pretty easily tell who the new guys are because they have no offers, but there are a few regular season guys mixed in too without any offers so it's not impossible to confuse them.