POSTPONED/CANCELLED MATCHES

Discussion in 'TSL: Tradition Soccer League' started by RedAL925, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedAL925

RedAL925 TSL Commissioner

In coming up with the new League Rules & Regulations document (which will be explained later in the State of the TFS), we have been debating a rather important issue for next season regarding postponed & cancelled matches.

We are going to move away from the rolling, season-long make up matches that we have been using from the last few seasons, mainly because we want people to be playing and completing their match week in a timely fashion. The old system allowed managers to backload their schedules, creating an uneven distribution of matches, as well as leading to more cancelled matches.

This issue becomes more meaningful with the institution of the discipline system to debut this season. The management team has come up with 2 options that we think will work, but we are split on which option to put into effect for next season. The two options are:

1. MID-SEASON & POST-SEASON MAKE UP WEEK
    In this system, each match week would open and close as it normally would (on Wednesdays, open for a week). At the end of the match week, any remaining unplayed games would be locked. These locked games would then be re-opened during a mid-season "make-up" week, where these games could be played. After that week, the unplayed games would be locked again, and we would continue on with our season. At the end of the season, locked games would again re-open for a one week "make-up" period at the end of the season. After that period, games would be marked as cancelled and we would move on to the next season.

2. ROLLING/CANCEL SYSTEM
    In this system, each match week would open and close as it normally would (on Wednesdays, open for a week). At the end of the match week, any remaining unplayed games would be moved to a postponed thread, where they would be open for the next 2 weeks, to be played at any point within that time period. Games that are still unplayed after that time frame would be marked as cancelled, and would not be allowed to be made up.

Each system has its merits and flaws, and we even came up with a hybrid of the two that might work as well. But before we write it into the league, we wanted to get your opinions on which one (or something we haven't though of yet) you would prefer.

Please post here with questions, comments, concerns, ideas and we can discuss this issue further.

2. RedAL925

3. vipermansa

vipermansa Walk On

First off, I think this is a necessity and am glad that one of these will be instituted.

I vote for option 2. I feel option 1 gives a little too much leeway and allows owners to just put off games if not convenient until much later in the season.
    Option 2 seems much stricter(which I like) and forces owners to be a little bit more on top of things. I am sure exceptions would be given for the right reasons but
    I like option 2 and the stronger stance on getting them played closer to their scheduled dates.
    Seems like alot of games went unplayed and thats not something I personally like to see.

Good job guys!

4. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

I dont know about canceling matches in the first quarter or half the season. Down the stretch in a tight promotion/relegation battle. Canceled matches hurt the teams that want to finish the season more than the teams that dont care about completing the schedule.

Using a week in mid and post season seems to be the better idea but then again we are losing two weeks that would be solely for make up matches, not sure on what timetable we are on for another season after this vs release of fifa 13 but 2 matchweeks per season for makeup x 2 seasons left on fifa 12 = Almost a month of make up match time only.

Hopefully nobody gets upset with what im about to say and im not naming names or pointing fingers but it seems a small percentage of owners are the ones who are getting behind in games. Maybe relegation/promotion shouldnt be exclusively based on season points. Maybe weighing schedule completion more than points at season end may motivate the players to complete the schedule in a timely manner and at the very least, get the owners who want to play into the top leagues and let the guys who wait till the last week of the season to play hang out in serie D... as in dismissed:eek:

If a guy from Argentina can get his games in a timely manner against mostly US opponents then ANYBODY in USA shouldnt have an excuse imo.

Just my two cents... hey you asked!

5. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

I also like option 2.

Glad this has come up.

6. danwin

danwin Walk On

I also prefer option 2 but totally agree with bigox1337, i worry that someone who is fighting for promotion could get burned by someone who isn't in as much a hurry to get their games in. I feel there needs to come a time when a person is dismissed from the league if they can't get their games in. It is very easy, everyone in this league knows if they have the time to get 2 games a week in or not. That is why I'm not playing the mlb 12 leagues on here, because I know I don't have the time for both leagues. There needs to be a rule implemented where if you don't complete so many matches in a season, due to you not really trying to get them in, you are removed from the league. People just need to be honest and admit it if they really don't have enough time for the league. You could always make it where they could return for a different season if their schedule opened up. Not trying to be mean, just trying to help find a solution.

7. RedAL925

There is a stipulation in the Rules & Regs that says if a manager does not complete X % of games in the season they are not eligible for promotion

8. RedAL925

This will be enforced in the new Discipline system, which we will explain once this issue is resolved.

9. BESHIKTAS

BESHIKTAS Almighty Black Eagles

I also like option 2,but the problem I have with that is; what if one player keeps trying to play,but the other one puts it off. Are they both going to be punished?

10. RedAL925

There will be no penalties for the person trying to schedule the match. If that's both managers, then there will be no consequences, only a cancelled game. If one or the other is shrugging it off, there will be a penalty for that manager

11. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

you are in Argentina?

12. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

no, but someone in serie is out of usa, i forget who it is and it may not be argentina

13. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

oh lol. I know SRC is in australia and I'm in Egypt. Other than that I don't know if we have any other "internationals" amongst us.

14. LasVegasFC

LasVegasFC Walk On

Option #2 seems the most fair and the most logical in terms of keeping the league active as much as possible.

My vote goes to Option #2

15. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

You run the league from the other side of the world yet some kids cant get on to play 2 games a week! this is what im talking about. haha

16. rschwep

rschwep Always Rebuilding

Featured Threads:
    I like option 2 as long as there is a strong leeway for someone who posts with his availability each day and is just getting burned by someone who doesn't care about playing. I played last season fully and timely despite working a 90-hour per week internship. There really isn't any excuse for not being available to play a few games a week (other than vacation), hence why I like the cancellation idea, but there has to be some discretion when it's completely the fault of one manager.

17. Frenchie1916

Frenchie1916 Just a clodhopper of footballer, running pell mell

I, too, cast my ballot for Option Zwei (that's 2, folks) for the simple reason that team owners shouldn't be allowed to rack up a series of unplayed games, thus holding up the entire league, as happens in all three divisions. With option 1, there still exists the possibility of one owner having four, five, six games to play in each of the makeup periods and that defeats the purpose of attempting to schedule games in the first place.

Additionally, I would advocate for penalties for owners who constantly fall behind over the course of the season - an evaluation at the midway point and another at the end, perhaps. If there are just a handful of scofflaws who are repeatedly playing their games weeks late, forcing other owners to schedule multiple additional league games per week, there should be a price to pay - perhaps a deduction in points. Even if a team eventually completes all of its games, but it does so with only a 50 percent on-time completion rate, that owner is adversely affecting the rest of the division.

Harsh? Perhaps. Justified? I think so.

18. RedAL925

The discipline system will take care of your concerns. All will be revealed once we figure this out.

19. jb_banco

jb_banco Walk On

I like option 2, but what happens if someone goes on vacation or cannot play during the makeup time for a completely legitimate reason? Are they SOL?

20. RedAL925

If you know you're going to be away, you can post in the vacation thread and arrangements will be made.

21. StevenRhysCann

StevenRhysCann Arizona Cardinals

Looks like I'm alone in this one, but I prefer option 1. Sometimes it can be hard to schedule 2-3 games a week when you're on a 15-18 hour time difference to 95% of the league. However as last season showed despite having a lot of postponed games early in the season and being warned about it I was one of the first people (I think second or third) in B to finish all their games. I'm totally against back-loading games on purpose, but I like the idea of having the mid season and end of season week to get all postponed games played.

22. HokieNYC

HokieNYC Walk On

Maybe each manager is only allowed 2-3 back logged games, any more and its an automatic loss... so at any given time each manager can have 3 back logged games... if they get a fourth.. then one of the earlier matches gets dropped as a loss, and he/she gets that fourth game as his/her third. Maybe that'll reduce the number of back logged games - I had a really hard time getting my games in so- I am sure I am one of the slacker managers but at least this way- near the end of the Season, not so many games need to be made up....

23. RedAL925

So it sounds like most people prefer a "3-week" open period rather than two one-week make up game only periods...anyone else want to chime in?

Also, the DISCIPLINE THREAD has been posted, please read that.

24. Geneseo98

Geneseo98 Walk On

This would work for me, no doubt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.