Potential trouble for the BCS system?

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Dru50, May 5, 2011.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

2. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

I saw this and thought about posting it...

Justice Department have anything better to do?

3. Dru50

The article says that the BCS system actually costs the schools money, and since most of the schools involved in the BCS are public schools, that would mean ultimately it costs the taxpayers money.

4. KnightNoles

taxpayer -> schools -> football

cycle

oh well, I guess Bin Laden is dead they don't have other more important worldly stuff to deal with :eek:

5. Dru50

There are more important things than something that diverts taxpayer money into the pockets of a bunch of bowl organizers? The economy is fairly important I think.

6. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

This has always been curious to me. If a lot of this money is coming from the taxpayers since most schools are public universities, shouldn't this be a massive issue? So much money being given to those that are running a system to benefit themselves.

7. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

this is very true..it should be a massive issue..look at the big schools in your state that are in AQs and the small guys(Non-AQ, fcs and lower) all lot of programs are being cut from the small guys while the big guys use the money to support their acadimic areas

8. KnightNoles

but leave it to some other department, well now that I think Department of Homeland Security I believe takes the world policing now.

9. Dru50

The Department of Justice is who deals with anti-trust cases, which is what this would boil down to. Who else should be dealing with it?

If it's true that the bowl system costs the overall public college landscape money, and that cost is ultimately born by taxpayers in the states of those schools, then this is actually a good use of government resources. Especially in a down economy. I'm not sure that it does cost money, but I read an article on ESPN last year that stated that the upside of making a BCS bowl was that it meant that the schools involved came closer to breaking even on the bowl game expenses. If you think about it, it can't be cheap to schedule another game across the country where you are paying travel expenses for 100+ athletes/coaches/etc for 1-2 weeks.

And if this somehow were to lead to a D1 playoff in football, so much the better.

10. KnightNoles

*shrugs*

I guess we will see what happens, I think there is a lot of ground to be covered before a playoff is implemented