Power Rankings through Week 5

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by dnf913, Jul 26, 2012.

1. dnf913

dnf913 Walk On

1. USC: 4-0

[​IMG]

The Trojans started the season #1 in the power rankings and have done nothing to lose the ranking. The recent scare against Cal has been the only sign that this team is perhaps beatable under the right circumstances. The Trojans pulled out a great win in week one versus the Razorbacks, which stands as the most impressive win of this young season for the Trojans.

2. Michigan: 4-0

[​IMG]

The Wolverines have been playing lights out this season, and possess the one player that strikes fear into the heart of the rest of college football, Denard Robinson. Robinson has terrorized his opponents so far this year, most notably in Michigan’s win over Wisconsin when Robinson ran for 125 yards and 3 TDs.

3. Illinois: 4-0

[​IMG]

Illinois makes the biggest jump from the preseason rankings. They have showed that they are not a team to be taken lightly. While they may not be blowing teams out of the water, they are doing what it takes to win. The Illini have also shown they have what it takes in crunch time thanks to a OT win against the always tough Stanford.

4. Oregon: 4-0

[​IMG]

After a near disaster in week one against Western Michigan, the Ducks have bounced back nicely with wins against BYU, Freson State, and Arizona. But it will all come down to the tough week 11-13 stretch for the Ducks when they play USC, Cal, and Stanford. If they go 2-1 in those games the Ducks might be smelling roses, or playing for a national championship.

5. Arkansas: 3-1

[​IMG]

The Hogs were crushed after their week 1 OT loss to the Trojans. The Hogs had a double digit lead and looked to be well on their way to a victory, when the Trojans sprang to life and claimed victory. The Hogs didn’t have any worry about that loss as they had tough games versus Georgia, Florida, and Alabama. The Hogs responded nicely, controlling Georgia and Florida, and nearly blowing out Alabama before having to survive for the victory in 3 OTs.

6. Wisconsin: 3-1

[​IMG]

Wisconsin, like Oregon, narrowly averted a disaster in week 1, when they held off a surprisingly game Wyoming team. The Badgers got back on track in Week 2 when they handled a very tough Missouri team. After a week off the Badgers looked to be primed and ready for their huge match up against Michigan. While the game was close, Denard was just too much for the Badgers. Wisconsin still has its sights set on a Rose bowl, but they will need some help from here on out.

7. Texas A&M: 2-2

[​IMG]

The Aggies have been one of the most intriguing teams thus far. Opening the season off with a blowout loss in week 2 to SMU, but rebounding in a big way in their Week 4 win at the horseshoe against THE Ohio State Buckeyes. Coming off that high, the Aggies looked to be ready for a run, but then they ran into a buzzsaw named Maryland who put up 63 points in the victory. A&M will look to get back in the thick of things in their week 6 matchup against the Razorbacks.

8. South Car: 3-2

[​IMG]

The Gamecocks have also had an up and down go of it so far. Opening the season with a devastating loss to Duke, and a thumping in week 3 at the hands of Michigan. Following the loss to Michigan, and the loss of their QB Connor Shaw there were talks of a lost season in Columbia. But the Gamecocks gritted out a tough win against Ole Miss in Week 4, and took down the talented Missouri Tigers in week 5 to right the ship. The Gamecocks still look to do damage in the SEC moving forward.

9. Ohio State: 3-1

[​IMG]

OSU started the season by absolutely slaughtering UMass by 60. Their week two match with Miami of Ohio was much closer but still a comfortable win. However it all came crashing down in week four against Texas A&M who came into Columbus and took home the win. The Buckeyes were able to bounce back with a close win against Iowa in week 5.

10. Missouri: 2-2

[​IMG]

Missouri has already played two user games and unfortunately for the Tigers they lost both in relatively close fashion. The Tiger defense has stepped up, not allowing more than 27 on the season. Missouri still has 3 ranked games left which would allow the Tigers to climb back in to the rankings should they go on a run.

11. Stanford: 2-2

[​IMG]

Stanford opened the season with a big win against a retooling Boise State. However the good vibes were short lived as the Cardinal suffered back to back losses in weeks 2 and 4 against Illinois and Notre Dame, both tough teams. However, Stanford bounced back in a big way in Week 5 when they shut out UNC 33-0.

12.Cal: 2-2

[​IMG]

Cal started off hot, especially on offense when the Golden Bears put up 56 and 41 against UTEP and Nevada. However the team came back down to earth in their week 4 loss to Arizona. However, the toughest test for Cal all season came in their week 5 matchup with USC. The Cal couch unexpectedly missed the game, and the assistant coached rallied the team to a near win, losing out to USC by only 7 in a very close game that featured large amounts of offense.

• Like Like x 3
  2. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Wow! Illinois ranked 3rd. Great job on this Nick

• Like Like x 1
  3. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

Great writeup dnf..

As much as I would like to bitch about USC being #1, I have to agree with you here. I feel we've played great but I think we've probably hit our ceiling while a team like USC is only going to get better with each and every week. I really hope Oregon can give them a game but it seems Barkley is now figuring things out. We've had the better of them in our pre-season friendly's but I have a funny feeling it won't go quite as well for my secondary when or if we ever meet again. I'm really interested to see the outcome of the Illinois/Wisconsin game this week.

4. dnf913

dnf913 Walk On

Yea, I had to give it to them, if only because the player talent level is better at USC. Plus he started out the season #1 so I just decided to leave him up there since he hasn't lost yet. But Michigan is right behind the Trojans, and even in front of them in the polls, haha.

5. PAgamer07

Which is complete BS.

6. AJ Hart MN

Please, we've had the more impressive win's thus far. Other than beating Arkansas (at home), what have you done or who have you beat?

7. PAgamer07

Id argue that a win over The Hogs is much more impressive than a win over the Badgers..

8. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

-_-

9. AJ Hart MN

Really, because I would put money on Trey to beat you in Madison ;)

10. AJ Hart MN

I'll also remind you that you barely beat CPU Cal while I took user South Carolina out to the woodshed.. Either way, I'm not afraid of Southern Cal and hope I get my chance at them :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

You must be rich

12. PAgamer07

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

Stanford's primed and ready to move up this list.

14. PAgamer07

[​IMG]

15. maverickfp

maverickfp Walk On

now thats a winner right there!