Powerhouses to Collide in Austin

Discussion in 'Chompion's League' started by Spayer419, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

AUSTIN, Texas

In the past six years, or so, a collection of teams have established themselves as the upper echelon of college football programs. Notre Dame and Wisconsin have been incredibly successful. Alabama and Georgia Tech are on their way. Auburn and even Virginia Tech have had their moments in the sun. But no teams have been more dominant than Ohio State and Texas.

Tonight the two superpowers will collide in Austin, Texas, in a battle for college football supremacy. Though both will likely tell you their assertion to the top of college football's pantheon will not be complete without another championship -- no team has one more than one title in the past six years, though OSU and Texas seemed poised to become the first two-time winners -- a win in this contest will almost certainly put either team in the drivers' seat for a national title run.

"As far as a non-conference game goes, this is about as big as it gets," said OSU coach Urban Meyer. "There's a lot of history between us."

There certainly is.

In 2014, the Buckeyes and Longhorns squared off in one of the most memorable BCS title games to date. The Longhorns prevailed, 24-23, on a last-second field goal. It was that bitter defeat -- combined with a similarly excruciating loss in the following title game to Florida -- that motivated OSU to win its first Championship under Meyer in 2017. The title game in 2013 also linked OSU and Texas together for the foreseeable future.

On the field, any team with a championship can make an argument that they're on the same level of the Longhorns and Buckeyes. But off the field, particularly on the recruiting front, no programs can compare to OSU and Texas. The two have compiled top-ranked recruiting class year-in and year-out, and the talent pool at each school has reached a level where backups are being looked at by the NFL.

"It seems that about half the kids we look at, it's between OSU and Texas," said Meyer.

David Lewis, OSU's sophomore quarterback, is one of many Buckeyes that thought long and hard about suiting up in Orange and White. But the nation's top recruit chose OSU, and a chance to play early.

"Coach Meyer told me I would have a chance to compete right away," said Lewis, who started four games as a freshman.

Lewis leads a group that has experienced a tremendous amount of success in Columbus, but mostly in reserved roles. Though many contributed to OSU's most recent title, only two players started on the team that beat Auburn in 2017.

"They're an accomplished bunch," Meyer said. "Many have national championship rings, and most of them really earned theirs. They contributed, but in a reserve role. They want to do it as starters now. They want to forge their own legacy."

They'll have a chance to begin that process tonight. Kickoff is set for 7:00 PM EST

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  2. macc24usc

macc24usc Walk On

Good read....shocked you're playing the same time your Bucks take the hardwood tonight lol

3. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Haha yeah I didn't really think that one through...oh well. The funny this is, I'm the team's beat reporter for the school paper, but I gave my credential up for this one because they're training someone to do high-profile stuff for next year

4. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

Go Wisconsin!

5. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

GG cmassey13 Hell of a player, hell of a team

6. cmassey13

cmassey13 Walk On

Same to you Spayer419. Very tough game.