Practice Wrap up

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Freakskull, May 15, 2016.

1. Freakskull

Freakskull Lobsters are mermaids to scorpions.

I recently played the Lions Michael Eggleston. I know it couldn't have been fun for him to loose lopsided, so I have a responsibility to help him get better. I'm not the best player here, but I'll try to help. I broadcast a practice session and talked about the following topics. I would appreciate more conversation on this topic so our owners can get better.

1. The TE corner route is really powerful in this release, so use it sparingly. I try to only use it when I have ran the Power O a few times, then I call P/A Power O and hit the TE. In keeping your receivers statistics "H@W" (don't spam your TE or HB) you should make sure the passes to your TE gain the biggest bang for your buck.

2. Shotgun Inside Zone with multiple receivers on one side: This play I think has an unfair advantage towards the offense, so use it sparingly. Make sure you pair it with a good pass play so you can confuse your opponent, and keep your playcalling fresh!

3. Drag routes: I try to use drags as a second or third read in a pass play. I never want to make them my first read, since they can be abused. They will be much more effective if you are looking for another route anyway. If they are your second or third read, and they are open, then your opponent is possibly not mixing up his defense. Don't spam drags.

4. Crossing routes - Y Cross, Shallow Cross, etc. A powerful route, when used correctly. make sure you have one or two plays you have practiced that have a crossing route in it, but more importantly, don't spam it.

5. Seattle/Four Verticals/Verticals/etc. Another very powerful play, one that you see over and over in MUT. It has its place, once or twice a game, trying to catch your opponnent in a stock cover 3. Running Seattle, then Four Verts, then HB Cross Screen (the routes are the same as four verticals) is not H@W.

6. Forget that the speed burst exists. Go to practice and run a play a bunch of times without using speed burst. Then do it again using it. See if you get better gains without the burst. I think you may find that once you hit speed burst, the blockers disengage, or the holes close, and your running back seems to lose power.

Anyone have any additions or questions?

• Like Like x 4
  2. Freakskull

3. Freakskull

I also illustrated a few concepts you should never use - for instance scrambling with the QB just to exploit the AI.

4. Mattraq1

Mattraq1 Walk On

I'll have to experiment with #6 more. I have a bad habit of pretty much always holding the sprint button

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. N0TABumblebee

N0TABumblebee Walk On

I was thinking about this a little last night and I was wondering about plays that are designed for the qb to roll out, like pa slide for example. Is this something to watch out for with the AI as well?

6. Sir g Neville

Sir g Neville Walk On

One thing I struggle with is reading my opponents offense. I think a lesson on how to read the offense (e.g. How to defend a screen, how to defend a drag route) would be a huge help to myself and a bunch of other users in the league!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Freakskull

If used once in a while, a "called" roll out is acceptable. The AI really suffers from "non-planned" scrambles.

8. Freakskull

Great feedback, hopefully some others will chime in here... Anyone have recommendations?

9. Woody

Woody Walk On

I'm not sure I agree with the drag route being cheese. I don't use it a ton but if I happen to have a play called that has a drag route and I see a good matchup there. Like a LB on my slot, you bet I'm going to go there. I don't think that is exploiting anything. Everything else, I agree with.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Freakskull

Yes, everything in moderation. If your opponent is mixing up their defenses and formations, then the drag shouldn't get overused. If you call Cov 3 every third and short, expect a drag to get a 1st.

I want you all to know I ran through my playlist yesterday. I have four 15 play playsheets, one for runs, ones for 5 yard, 8 yard and 11+ yard passes. I removed 3 plays out of my 5 yard pass list, because they were drag first options or just too many drags. I am excited to be more versatile.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. N0TABumblebee

N0TABumblebee Walk On

Is the QB Sneak considered a cheese play? I mean... I know it kind of is, but in situations like 3rd & inches, 3rd & goal if used correctly and not abused?

12. seranrap7

seranrap7 Walk On

I also have trouble reading offenses, defenses I'm decent at. What I'm trying to get better at as of now is using a MLB lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Freakskull

QB Sneak and FB Dive! Both are extremely effective at short yards. They are excellent plays, but frustrating because they are near impossible to stop, even if you know they are coming and sell out to stop them. Therefore, I consider both plays to be "one-offs."

For example, if its 3rd and goal from the one, and my opponent runs the QB sneak or the FB dive, I am not frustrated because that is what a real team would run. I shouldn't have let him get that close. I do not expect him to run it again the rest of the game.

If my opponent runs FB dive/QB sneak more than once each on short yardage, then that is unfair - a REAL defense may be caught off guard the first time, but would eat it up if you went to it again.

• Like Like x 1
  14. hskr8128

hskr8128 Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Good information here. The key for me is just mixing things up. If you mix up your play calling it is so much harder for the defense to stop plus there should be no issue with your gameplay. There are two things I have noticed a lot lately that I will point out just because the discussion has been started;

1. Coach Suggestions-I'm not saying using this feature is bad entirely. However, if you use it the majority of the time, you will end up calling the same plays numerous times. The feature is designed to give you suggested plays based on the frequency you or the madden online community calls them in those situations. Once you use it often enough it will just be the same plays more often than not. Secondly, actually using your playbook opens up so many more opportunities for you. If you spend a season or two getting to know your playbook inside out and really stick to it you will see vast improvements.

2. Inside runs straight to sideline-It's one thing to hit the open hole but far too often I'm seeing guys taking dives or smashes straight to the sideline and trying to turn up. Running parallel to the LOS isn't something that is going to happen IRL.

• Like Like x 1
    • Awesome Content Awesome Content x 1
  15. Freakskull

Excellent input.

16. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

This is another great thread Freak. the more skilled everyone is the more fun the whole league is. Beating a rival by 28 is fun, beating half the league like that isn't as fun as every game being within 14 points

I'm clearly not in HaW anymore but i'd love to contribute, at least on a couple points.

What freak said about staying off the "sprint" trigger when running the football is golden, when you aren't sprinting it's easier to read your blocks, slide to one side or another when you hit the hole, allow pulling blockers to get in front on power or toss plays etc. practice mode is critical, in most cases, you should sprint once you are in the hole and trying to slip into daylight after reading the blocks. Another factor here is that a number of the "special moves" like spin, truck, juke, and stiff arm work better when you aren't sprinting. This means that even when you break a run and the pursuit is coming, if you want to make them miss, or run them over or whatever, let go of sprint, make your move, then sprint again if you are free.

A couple guys mentioned "reading the offense." This is tough, especially if your opponent does a good job of mixing it up. I would say that you should mostly just try and anticipate the offense based on down, distance, formation, and tendencies you've observed. For example, some guys love to run the toss play in 3rd and 3 or 4. If I see a formation like I form, or strong I, I will take a MLB (I run 3-4) and cheat from weak to over the center (moving just a yard or two left or right from the play design) and then at the snap I will burst toward the sideline. It doesn't always work and if it's a PA or a simple pass where my zone was supposed to be I might give up a big play if I can't recover. Anticipation on D is risk vs reward just like in RL. Reading screens is another huge plus. If a team comes out in shotgun (few users run screens from under center) and I think it might be a screen, I will user either a d line player on the HB side or the LB on that side. At the snap, if o-line lets me (or my CPU defenders) through untouched I chase the screen, doing all I can to get out in front of the HB and force him inside if j can't make the play. In my experience, the most skilled user defensive players use a LB and unless it's an obvious passing down, they read run first, looking to crash a gap, then try and recover back into coverage of its a pass. Again, risk reward here, but if get good and use the right LB where you aren't supposed to cover the seam for example, you can be tough on the run while still not leaving yourself with your pants down vs the big pass play.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 3