Pre OD thoughts.....

Discussion in 'After Midnight' started by Wyrmreaver, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

After Midnight

So, I have the early release as I'm sure some of you do.... figured we could get a thread going to talk about things like Difficulty, sliders, recruiting limits, coach skills etc so that we have a solid feel from everyone before recchem decides what he wants.

2. Wyrmreaver

Simmed through a season..... well, played week 1 and my fleXbox One got murdered, simmed the rest and only recruited with WVU.

Went 7-6, lost a bowl game.
    • On "slow" coach progression, I gained 6 skill points by the end of the season.
    • Recruiting is a bitch, I think we should have very few limits early on. Though, it may be considerably easier for more prestigious schools

3. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I won't have the game till Tuesday, but I like what I've heard. I think th key thing will be to figure out the coach progression speed since it sounds like that can't be changed once you start.

4. Wyrmreaver

I agree.... I am about halfway through season 2 on "slow" and I actually think we may want to use normal instead. I assumed we would want slow or slowest, but the experience needed for each level gets higher as you advance, so you earn points more slowly. I am simming and just playing a game here or there so that my record is near what most of us will actually have as opposed to what WGW will have. I'll keep reporting after each season.

In week 7 I earned my first point of season 2 (6 in year one, now 7 total)

5. Dru50

Here's a pre-OD thought......where is Jayrah with this years avatars?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wyrmreaver

Season 2 in the books......

Finished 11-2, 2nd place in conference, played in and won a BCS bowl, got a contract extension, Final ranking: #5
    • I gained 3 additional levels and am now at level 9. So I have 9 coaching skills after 2 seasons (maxing out = 54)
    • Recruiting was very tough again. Signed 10 in regular season (2 five star, 4 four star, 4 three star), bid on 4 targets in offseason, signed 3 of them (1 more four star and 2 more three stars). Of course, like last year, the CPU signs a handful of guys too......

7. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I won't have the game until Tuesday either. Keep us posted on your findings Neal.

8. Wyrmreaver

Season 3 wrapping up. WVU simmed to an undefeated conference title, which bodes well for my roster once we get a couple of years in! My 12-0 mark put me in the Fiesta Bowl while undefeated teams from the SEC and B1G played for the glass football. Ohio state ruined my run, but at 12-1 I still finished at #5 in the final polls.

• My monster year resulted in lots of experience (bonuses for winning streaks, conference title etc) and I gained 3 more levels, up to level 12. So I have earned 12 coaching skills over the course of 3 seasons.
    • I entered year 3 as a 5 star program and at the end of the regular season I had signed 12 recruits, 4 four stars and 8 three stars, putting me at the 14th rated recruiting class in the nation. I bidded hard on one guy I wanted and threw a few points at a couple other dudes, I got the guy I wanted and 2 other players. Including the handful of 2 and 3 star guys the CPU signed, I ended up with the #9 recruiting class in the nation.
    • Recruiting was still brutal, I have like 2 or 3 team needs I couldnt fill. I targeted multiple guys throughout the year to fill those spots, but CPU teams owned me for them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dru50

This game is sounding really solid.

10. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

Working on them ;). Haven't had much time recently

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

A thought on the coach skills. Slow or Slowest is going to be best. If we go with normal everybody will max out in 5 or 6 seasons, which is not what we want. Part of what's cool about the feature is that it gives us all the opportunity to be different coaches. If we all have the same abilities eventually it kinda defeats the purpose.

12. Dru50

From the testing guys are doing it seems like it will take 10+ seasons to max out on normal, and using slower settings might mean nobody gets to the higher skills.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

I'd rather have no one get to the higher skills than most/all of us get there.

14. Wyrmreaver

Year 4

Another undefeated year, this time a loss in the NC game, but this season we had multiple award winners and stuff which resulted in healthy xp bonuses again. Went into this season as a 5 star program again.

• Three more experience levels, up to level 15 now. 15 coach skills in 4 seasons. 2 seasons were undefeated conference titles. I am basically 1/4 of the way to maxing out, though the xp targets get higher each level and I cant expect to keep going undefeated.
    • If we have recruiting restrictions we need to be very careful with offseason recruiting. If players leaving early or transferring results in a need there is no way you can get anyone good unless you have been recruiting them all year.
    • This was my best year recruiting by far. Good thing too, because I had 21 seniors leaving and I was supremely thin at more than a few spots after 3 lean years on the trail
    • I signed 17 players in the regular season. 2 five star, 7 four star, 6 three star, and 2 two star. Good enough to put me at #1 class before the offseason. Threw a ton of points at one guy, a bunch at a second and a pittance at a few more in offseason. Got both guys I threw a lot at but none of the other 4 despite being ahead by 1500-2500 points on each (I used 250 on them, max is 10,000)
    • This class is good, but it isnt in the class that Mizzou and Arkansas were getting year in and year out.....

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  15. Wyrmreaver

Yeah, on slow at least, nobody will max out. There are 54 available levels, 27 recruiting, 27 game managing. Nobody will get over level 40 on slow, maybe not even 30. I havent tested normal, but I would guess that we would mostly get into the 30s by the end and a few might close in on 50.

16. Wyrmreaver

Season 5 Roster:

So, I started with a 4 star, had 2 years of 4 star recruiting, then 2 years of 5 star. Here is my roster (just OVR) not including 5th year seniors that would have been on the original roster......

QB: 99, 82, 75
    HB: 88, 87, 80, 77, 74
    FB: 82
    WR: 93, 91, 86, 82, 80, 76, 72
    TE: 84, 83, 82
    LT: 87, 80, 78
    LG: 74 (have a RS SR starter)
    C: 87
    RG: 90, 82
    RT: 87, 82

LE: 85, 77
    RE: 80, 74
    DT: 95, 91, 79, 76
    LOLB: 82, 77, 69
    MLB: 85, 78, 76, 72
    ROLB: 80, 76, 73
    CB: 82, 79, 79, 78, 78, 76
    FS: 89, 78, 78, 74, 73
    SS: 89, 85, 77, 71
    K: 94
    P: 75

Overall, I would say the tougher recruiting is legit. I obviously have picked up some nice pieces along the way, but there are also a few spots that look a little thin.

17. Dru50

I've heard the game mgmt skills are kinda useless and it seems everyone will just take all the recruiting ones....if so, it's not like anyone's coach will really be unique.

18. Dru50

In the end I don't really care either way, but maybe Wyrmreaver should test it on a slower speed to see what it looks like?

19. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ¿Te quieres naranjas?

Yeah someone else should try the slow and slowest setting. We have to keep in mind that we will play about 13 seasons if we go at the same rate we did last year. We can't play through seasons quickly like you could in an offline dynasty.

20. Kapono

Kapono Walk On

Have we decided on the divisions yet?

21. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ¿Te quieres naranjas?

Also, I think recruiting restrictions should be limited. With the way people are talking about how the cpu is better at recruiting and the short offseason, it will be hard to find replacements. 3 star recruits should be focused on more instead of just loading up the board with 4 and 5 stars.

22. Wyrmreaver

So, finished season 5....... Went undefeated, won the BCS NC. I was a 6* program. After season 4 I was thinking, "I think I am getting the hang of this recruiting..."

• I am now level 18, so I gained 3 more levels throughout the season. Here again, most of us will not be going undefeated and winning conference/national titles, so exp will go slower in the OD than in this offline.
    • CPU crushed me in recruiting. I thought that since I had a bunch of recruiting skills under my belt I was in business, I went head to head on a bunch of guys and threw max points at them every week since I only had 13 seniors and only a couple needs, I figured I would get most of the 12 guys I targeted day 1, but I only got 3, the CPU ousted me on the other 9. Worst part, I was in "battles" for 7 of them bell to bell and missed out completely including the offseason. After scrambling in last few weeks of the season I managed to sign 7 players including offseason. The CPU signed a bunch of players at 65 OVR or less, so that helped......

23. Wyrmreaver

I havent tried them out at all...... However, they arent useless, just looking at them they are kinda cool. I'd much rather do a faster progression setting with the caveat that we have to split our points 50/50 than just ignore gameplanning altogether. When you go to the coach info screen that shows records and stuff it also shows recruiting and managing levels, so it wouldnt be on the honor system

24. Wyrmreaver

The setting I am on is "slow"

Based on the first 5 seasons, i'd rather be on a higher setting TBH

25. Dru50

I just based that on what I'm reading in the other forums. I do think normal with some sort of balanced spending might be best.