Pre-Release Power Rankings

Discussion in 'The Trifecta' started by PepperNY, Jul 6, 2010.

1. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

Pre-Release Power Rankings

I'm starting out my pre-release power rankings to get some chatter/trash talk going before the release hits next week. I will do this in 3 stages going 1-4, 5-8, 9-12. Feel free to critique me as I am doing this now to get ideas, suggestions or whatever. I realize this may not be completely accurate as I dont know most of you but I feel by week 6 I will have a better understanding of everyone and where they should rank on the power rankings. Without any further delay I give you my pre-release top 4. :D

Trifecta's Pre-Release Power Rankings -

Rank Logo Team Record Change Comments
    1 [​IMG] Ohio State 11-2 [​IMG] Bravejaf and his Buckeyes start out on top arguably the best team on paper. The age-old Big Ten formula is alive and well in Columbus - run the ball and play stout defense. Pryor, Saine and Herron have developed into formidable ball carriers. The entire defense will continue to rank in the Top 5 nationally. The nation's 106th ranked passing attack has to do more to take the next step as a unit. Pryor has shown to have the wheels, but his arm has not yet proved capable of winning the tight ones, especially if/when trying to come from behind. Accordingly, the quality and depth at receiver is still a long way from striking fear into opponents.
    2 [​IMG] Texas 13-1 [​IMG] Big Slick and his Longhorns come in at #2 despite losing Colt McCoy, Jordan Shipley, and 3 Senior Offensive lineman. Tats the bad news, the good news is Texas has the best defensive backfield in the Big 12. Despite losing Earl Thomas to the NFL, this group still brings back plenty of proven talent to cover.
    3 [​IMG] Oklahoma 8-5 [​IMG] Twister and oklahoma look to turn around a very forgettable 2009 season. Running back DeMarco Murray is returning to the offense in 2010, as is leading receiver Ryan Broyles. Quarterback Landry Jones started 11 games for the injured Sam Bradford last year, so experience shouldn't be a concern at the position. Expect Oklahoma to Challenge Texas for the Big 10 title and if all goes right in Norman possibly a National Championship.
    4 [​IMG] Penn State 11-2 [​IMG] Hokie comes in at 4 with a very good Nittany Lions squad. Senior Heisman Candidate Evan Royster, running downhill behind a veteran group of blockers led by one of the best centers in college football (Stefan Wisniewski) – well, that just smells like a Big Ten contender. If anyone is going to challenge Ohio State this is the team to do it. Like many Big Ten powers, the Nittany Lions live or die with defense, and this upcoming campaign will be no different.
    5 [​IMG] Florida State 7-6 [​IMG] Florida State is loaded with talent, athleticism, and veterans (at least on offense), and now it'll be up to the new head man, Jimbo Fisher, to show he can produce. With a great piece to the puzzle, heisman hopeful QB Christian Ponder, healthy again, the sky's the limit.
    6 [​IMG] Clemson 9-5 [​IMG] Clemson returns six starters from a solid D that ranked in the Top 25 in scoring and total defense last year. They probably have the best duo at safety in the country and they will have to continue to dominate to make up for losing both their starting CB's. Losing CJ Spiller to the NFL will hurt but the bigger question mark will be in the passing game, where all eyes are on QB Kyle Parker, who’s deciding between continuing his football career or signing a baseball contract to play for the Colorado Rockies. If he goes pro, the Tajh Boyd era begins at least one year earlier than anyone anticipated.
    7 [​IMG] Michigan 5-7 [​IMG] Call me crazy but I see Recchem and the Wolverines returning to the spotlight of the Big 10 and while I dont think they will win the Big 10 I do beleive they will be competitive and for the 1st time in a long time become bowl eligible. The Wolverines return every siginifcant starter on offense plus 8 starters return on defense from a season ago which can be viewed as a bad thing. It will be interesting to see if Recchem can turn the program around.
    8 [​IMG] Minnesota 6-7 [​IMG] The offense, although it struggled last season, returns almost intact, with all five starting linemen and Weber, who has started for three seasons. The key to improvement will rest on getting the offense going, and there is alot of potential with receivers Stoudermire and McKnight.At least nine starters are being replaced. Coordinator Kevin Cosgrove is counting on athletic ability trumping inexperience. This is especially true in the front seven. Defensive tackles Jewhan Edwards and Brandon Kirksey fIgure to be the heart of the new defense, but the verdict is still out at defensive end.

2. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Very nice, and I agree that OSU and Texas are the early favorites.

3. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

updated my #4 team. If you read this before I updated it i had the previous #4 team a bit too high.

4. Dru50

I was a bit surprised you had Clemson above PSU and FSU, but those three teams are pretty neck and neck talent wise.

5. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

I dont know what I was thinking either lol. I imagine that some of you guys with smaller schools will be atop the rankings once games start getting played so I am basically going off talent in game right now. I know what my user talent is and I probably wont stack up that well against y ou guys thus why Florida State hasnt made the top 4. Your right about Clemson tho, i had them too high and quickly realized it once i took a look at the user teams again. Still trying to get down who has what team but I will get there.

(y)

6. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

Nice job pepper

7. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

Great Job Pepper. I'm not sure how good Texas will be this year with a True Sophomore QB and running back by committee but hopefully my defense can carry me to a National Championship.

8. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

You will be alright Slick. Apparently Gilbert's performance in the NCG was good enough to put him up there with some guys thats been starting for 2-3 years

9. Dru50

As compared to Greg McElroy whose play was worthy of him having a 90+ awareness? Just saying, those who follow teams vastly overrated in this game shouldn't throw stones. ;)

10. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

[​IMG]

We'll see where Clemson is on the power rankings after our matchup with Ohio St.!!!!

But good job Pepp.... on the unedited version. :D

11. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

It was one game is what I was suggesting. One game doesn't make a player's career. (Example - See Freddie Mitchell)

12. Dru50

You know I'm just giving you shit man.

13. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

When does this match take place? I'm really looking forward to it now. (y)

14. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

sorry guys, been busy as heck since last thursday but I am going to pump the rest of these out later today or tonite.

15. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

I'm sure he is a little overrated, but this guy isn't exactly chopped liver. He holds a lot of Texas passing records in a state where football is KING!

Garrett Gilbert's accolades coming out of high school at Austin - Lake Travis:
    Gatorade and Parade National Player of the Year ... tabbed EA Sports Mr. Football USA ... also named USA Today's Offensive Player of the Year ... became the first Texan to earn the Gatorade award ... played in the 2009 Under Armour All-America Game ... three-year starter who finished his high school career as Texas' all-time leader in passing yards (12,540) and ranks second in state history in passing TDs (138), completions (895) and attempts (1,368) ... also holds state single-season records in completions (360), attempts (556) and passing yards (4,851) and ranks third on the single-season TD passes list (55) ... rated as the second-best quarterback on ESPN's top 150 national list ... led Lake Travis to a 39-4 record (20-0 in district play) and back-to-back 4A Div. I state titles as a starter ... ended his high school career on a 30-game winning streak ... led the Cavaliers to a perfect 16-0 record and a second consecutive 4A Div. II state championship ... completed 301-of-435 passes (69.2%) for 4,851 yards, 55 TDs and only six INTs ... threw for at least 300 yards and at least four TDs seven times ...

16. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

original post updated, will finish it up with the 4 MWC teams tommorrow as I need more time on them lol. Whats funny is I could see the MWC teams in the top half as I am sure the better players here are playing with the smaller schools just to make us bigger schools think we have a chance lol

17. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

The only one you really need to watch for is Dru. The rest of us are average at best. I'm probably the worst of the group.