Pre-Season Outlook: Utah State Aggies

Discussion in 'Zeros to Heroes' started by bdub, Jul 29, 2010.

1. bdub

bdub Walk On

Pre-Season Outlook: Utah State Aggies

Last year Utah State contiued its usual loosing ways going 4-8 and not making it to a bowl game. However, the hiring of a new coach has fans excited about the posibility of a turn around.

Unfortunatly this won't be easy as the Aggies are faced with a very tought schedule meeting Oklahoma in the first game of the year and having to make it through a gauntlet of tough teams in conference play.

Can the new coach turn things around and get his team to a bowl game for the first time in over a decade?

Offense

Things start with dual threat senior QB Diondre Borel (2,885 yards passing, 458 rushing, 23 total TDs, 4 INT), who will start for the Aggies for the 3rd consecutive season. Surrounded by all of his top playmakers from last fall, Borel is in for another strong campaign.

Junior tailback Robert Turbin (1,296 rush yards, 30 catches, 418 pass yards, 18 total TDs) is an elite playmaker who was expected to be Borel’s primary partner in offensive destruction this season.

USU also has five receivers returning that had double digit receptions last year, so there is a lot of experience to spread the offensive load around. Finally, the O-Line returns four starters, all of whom are upperclassmen.

Defense

USU gave up more than 200 rush yards per game and 250 pass yards per outing in 2009 en route to opponents scoring 34 points per game. The good news is that eight starters are back in their second season in the system and improvement seems likely.

While there are three senior starters returning, not one of them registered a sack last year! Furthermore, these returning starters also were the front line of a defense that was not strong against the run. While I expect them to be better on the ground this year after moving speedy end Junior Keiaho to linebacker, there are going to be concerns about this group until they prove it on the field.

However, I think that the defense overall should see some improvement, especially against the run with a mobile set of linebackers. If the Aggies can find a pass rush, the equation changes dramatically for the better. Expect small steps this season in the right direction and I have great confidence in the new coaches ability to turn this team around.

2. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

We will build our teams to a point that we will no longer be considered a "warm up" game to bcs teams !!!

3. bdub

bdub Walk On

Being a University of Utah fan I already have very little love for the BCS.