Prepare for Glory

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Masler, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Masler

Masler Moderator

[​IMG]
    "Spartans!! Prepare for Glory!!" - King Leonidas
    In the fall, when the leaves change their colors and the air gets crisp, there is one thing that reminds green..Michigan State football!! Roughly 70,000 fill the seats of Spartan Stadium for every home game. Much glory rests in Each Lansing and while we stumbled a bit in 2012 but this is a new season. Rough edges are now smooth and efficient. Get ready The Experience...a storm is coming...HA-ROO! HA-ROO! HA-ROO!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Potters

3. Masler

Masler Moderator

Connor Cook looking good as Starter
    During the Spring game there was a QB Battle between Andrew Maxwell and Connor Cook. Maxwell was coming off a less than stellar 2012 season and Cook has rarely seen the field under center. In fact the last time Coach Masler remembers seeing Cook on the field, he threw a pick six vs Central Michigan. But this year Cook was out there picking the secondary apart and while Maxwell did show much more potential than last season, Cook was awarded the starting job due to the fact he had a better arm. And after three weeks of taking the snaps he is proving he was ready to take over as the next Michigan State quarterback.
    In fact he just made it through his first true test with a trip to Camp Randall. The RS Sophomore only missed four passes while tossing two touchdowns and had his second career game with over two hundred yards passing. Cook looked calm and collected in the pocket but did suffer from sacks so he could be a tad more mobile. He isn't the fastest QB out there but if he had to, he can get away from the pressure. He almost did once in the game vs Wisconsin but the big DE wrapped a paw around his ankle and dragged him down.
    So far this season Cook is 45/58 (77.6%), 689 yards, 8 TD and 2 INT. If Michigan State is going to continue seeing success through the air, Cook will need to continue being accurate and keep those INTs low. We could be seeing another Kirk Cousins here.

4. Masler

Masler Moderator

Regular Season Wrap-Up
    The Spartans started this season very hot, going 5-0 with convincing victories over Notre Dame, Wisconsin and Iowa. But they barely managed to stay in the Bowl Hunt the rest of the season, ending with a record of 2-5 to go 7-5(4-5) overall. It seemed like they could not win on the road to save their lives, though every game was pretty close, sometimes close just isn't good enough. Michigan State has struggled to find their identity in the passing game ever since the departure of Cousins, Martin, Nichol, and Cunningham.

I feel like Connor Cook did well this year as starter but I made some awful decisions and ended up throwing 20 interceptions. I think I should've relied on the run game much more than I did since Nick Hill did not fumble once during the regular season, he could have easily gotten close to 2,000 yards and 20 TD but I did not use him to his full ability. The Spartans also entered their last game vs Maryland with an undefeated home record and even managed to tarnish that. The once strong looking defense faltered horribly in the second half of the season and left Coach Masler with hypertension and a desire for the season to be over. It looks like Sparty is headed for a Belk Bowl matchup vs Virginia, here's to a MSU bowl victory and at least getting 8 wins on the overall season!! And to lowering my blood pressure!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Masler

Masler Moderator

Spartan players bring home some hardware
    Marcus Rush came home from New York with the Nagurski and Lombardi trophies.

2013 Stats

30 Tackles
    22 TFL
    1 Assisted Tackle
    14 Sacks (2 shy of the school record)
    4 Forced Fumbles

R.J. Williamson brought home the Best Returner Award.

2013 Stats

50 KR
    1591 yards
    31.8 yards per return
    3 TD's
    Long of 105

20 PR
    327 yards
    16.4 yards per return
    1 TD
    Long of 77