Preseason MOP Front runners

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Michael Woodward, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

As the season gets started, let's take a look at some of the front runners for the Alumni Nation 2013 Most Outstanding Player Award. There are many good players throughout the country but these eleven guys show the most promise to bring in the award.

LacheSeastrunk.jpg Lache Seastrunk (Baylor) - Lache is a speed demon straight from the recent successful stable of thoroughbreds that is Oregon's backfield. A native of Temple, Texas, Lache grew homesick in Oregon and decided to take his talents to Waco to be closer to home. He has the speed and shiftiness to prove a real threat to defenses of all sorts this year and a coach who knows how to utilize such a dangerous player.

Tony Jones.jpg Tony Jones (Colorado) - Tony may not be the biggest running back but he is quick and very shifty. In a balanced offense, Tony Jones will get plenty of looks that could put his numbers in contention for the prestigious award. Also, he benefits from a Pac 12 which is down this season and could further enhance his numbers.

chasehoobler.jpg Chase Hoobler (Indiana) - Chase comes from a team who gets the most out of their linebackers and Chase is the star of that linebacking core. Playing on the outside, Chase will look to stretch out run plays, hurry the quarterback and break up passes. Under Coach Tom Docter's guidance, he should do plenty of these things all year long.

DaymondPatterson.jpg Daymond Patterson (Kansas) - Daymond is a 5th year senior after a season ending injury last year. An undersized receiver with joystick like agility, Patterson makes plays. He will not only be a deep threat and a threat to take it to the house from screen passes and reverses, but he will also be a return threat on kick offs and punts. As long as quarterback Dayne Crist can hit Patterson in stride, he could put up monster numbers.

La'rod King.jpg La'Rodney King (Kentucky) - King is a large, physical receiver. At 6'4", he will be a red zone threat all year long. Coach Derek will look to utilize his big receiver's strengths and maximize his productivity. King does face tough SEC defenses every week but he has the talent to make the most of his chances.

DavidNwabuisi.jpg David Nwabuisi (Northwestern) - Nwabuisi is the star linebacker on Coach Jared Liesemeyer's aggressive defense. With the style of player Coach Liesemeyer deploys, Nwabuisi could wind up with many sacks and tackles for losses. Playing in a conference that is slightly down this year (only slightly), Nwabuisi could be a dark horse for the award this year. Time will tell.

CharlesSawyer.jpg Charles Sawyer (Ole Miss) - Sawyer is the definition of a ball hawk. Playing at free safety, Sawyer should get his fair share of interceptions and big hits. Look for Sawyer to be in All SEC contention and to be a menace for opposing offenses.

DesmondJohnson.jpg Desmond Johnson (Southern Mississippi) - Johnson is the star running back for a coach who runs a run heavy offense. Johnson has the ability and will certainly get the touches to put up monster numbers. Combine this with a weak Conference USA schedule and you have a recipe for M.O.P. success.

TreyWatts.jpg Trey Watts (Tulsa) - Watts is an ultra speed running back for Coach Steven Foster's offensive machine. With a weak Conference USA schedule and the speed to turn the corner on pretty much any defense, Trey Watts should power the underrated Tulsa Hurricanes to a successful season with some impressive numbers of his own.

EdSaintVil.jpg Ed Saint Vil (UMass) - Saint Vil is an underrated free safety on Coach Roy Anderson's underrated UMass squad. No matter where he goes, Coach Anderson gets the most out of his free safeties and indeed his entire defense. Look for Saint Vil to quietly put up competitive MOP numbers en route to a quiet and solid UMass season. UMass will be largely overlooked all season....Until they pass your favorite team in the rankings.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

Last but not least,

PerryJones.jpg Perry Jones (Virginia) - Not to be confused with Baylor's recent draftee, Perry Jones, the Virginia running back is a star in his own right. Running for a coach who puts up video game like numbers with multiple running backs each year, Jones looks to be the front runner for the MOP. Barring injury, he should have no problems running away (pun intended) with the award.

• Like Like x 1
  3. makinpropel

makinpropel Go Big Red!

Nice write-up. I want to see what Rockchalk can do with the former husker Cody Green at the helm this upcoming year. He never did very well in Nebraska, so maybe against the Conference USA he can show why he was so highly touted out of high school

4. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

Who would you tout as your team's MOP front runner after playing your first game?

5. makinpropel

makinpropel Go Big Red!

Stephen Houston, my RB, probably. His stats weren't very good at all other than two big runs. He is one of my highest rated players, and I like to run the ball a lot. In one of my highlights that failed to upload, he broke a tackle and cut across the field to score, so he's got enough speed and power to make plays. He will get his touches this season. I would be very surprised if any of my players came away with the MOP though.

6. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

Yeah, I thought about your running back but every time we made the MOP award, it always seemed like I picked your linebackers because they always seemed to lead all users in tackles by a long ways.

7. QBKILLAR

QBKILLAR If you only win one, please let it be Ole Miss.

Boy you hit the nail on the head with that one. I'm not sure I would have picked him as the USM front runner but after his first game he is way better than I expected. Nice write up. By the way I see that you know most everyone's name on here. My name is actually Heath McMullen no QBKILLAR.

8. Michael Woodward

Michael Woodward Walk On

i was 98% sure it is Heath McMullen but I wasn't 100% positive on the last name and I didn't want to make an ass out of myself haha