Preseason Week 1: NY Giants @ Jacksonville Jaguars

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Boom29, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

The first preseason game for the defending World Champions did not go well as the Jacksonville Jaguars jumped out to a 24-0 halftime lead before cruising to a 24-3 victory.

The much maligned Jaguars offense put together a solid drive on their first possession behind the short passing game and quick hitting running plays. QB Blaine Gabbert was solid, completing 4/5 passes for 61 yards and a TD. MJD did not appear to show rust from his holdout and had a solid 6 car for 52 yards and 2 TD (1 rec).

The NY Giants for their part, appeared out of sync as catchable passes were dropped and open receivers were missed. Eli Manning had a solid game, but an early interception allowed the Jaguars to widen their lead. The running game was also unable to get on track as the Jaguar defense was able to penetrate into the backfield.

The second half saw Jacksonville continue with a shot passing game to complement the run. However, the Giants defense tightened forcing the Jaguars to punt the entire second half. All was not lost, however, as backup QB Chad Henne was mistake free. The Giants began to push the ball more in the second half, but drops and innacure passes again thwarted drives.

Thankfully, neither team reported injuries following the game.

BlyGilmore

2. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

gg man. just one of those games. first drive stalled on a dropped pass by an open Bennett. second drive stalled after moving the ball on a fumble by Nicks. third drive was a bad throw that got picked. by that point the starters were out and the game was over.

Just to show the type of game it was, Dom Hixon was wide open in the end zone in the fourth and let the ball fall through his arms.

i will say the jags might make some noise in the AFC South. MJD is a freaking beast and they seem to have a good ball control offense to compliment him.

3. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

I think "a dropped pass by an open Bennett" will be heard plenty throughout the season, including tonight :p

You're right though, it was just a play here and a play there that did your offense in, but then again, it was the first preseason game.

I'd like to think that my offense can continue to control the ball, but I have a propensity to turn the ball over, it just didn't happen against you.