Preseason Week 4: Bears vs. Browns

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by AgenT Smith, Sep 15, 2012.

1. AgenT Smith

AgenT Smith Walk On

[​IMG] VS. [​IMG]
    BEARS cap off preseason with a thrilling 22-19 victory in Cleveland
    After two straight disappointed losses against the 'Skins and Giants, Coach J. (not Lovie) Smith was looking for some sort of a positive note to take into the season opener against Indy. He got his wish, although he never expected it to be in exciting comeback fashion.​
    The start of the game was anything BUT exciting for the Bears faithful that made the trip to Ohio, as the former Heisman winner broke off a 58-yard run on the first play from scrimmage. The Bears managed to stall the drive and force a field goal.​
    On the next drive, however, Jay Cutler would throw a pick to CB Joe Haden, which shortly resulted in a 20-yard strike to TE Evan Moore. It looked like it would go downhill from there, but Cutler and the Bears would respond, leading the Bears down for a FG by Robbie Gould to end the quarter down 10-3.​
    Starting with the beginning of the second quarter, the Bears defense really began to respond. As Colt McCoy took over for Weeden, their passing game seemed to struggle. Even though the Browns rode the legs of backup HB Chris Ogbonnaya down the field, the Bears forced yet another FG in the redzone. This was the theme for the rest of the game, as the Bears forced 4 FGs in the redzone. They also sacked Colt McCoy 5 times.​
    The 4th quarter is where the game got interesting. Late in the 4th, as the Bears managed to stop a draw on 3rd and short in Bears territory, Coach Illmatic made a controversial coaching decision. Instead of kicking a FG to go up by 7, he elected to take a delay-of-game penalty, in an attempt to pin the Bears deep into enemy territory. The ball would end up bouncing through the endzone however, putting the Bears at the 20 and giving J. Campbell one last shot to win the game.​
    Campbell drove the Bears down the field little by little, making the right passes and even scrambling when he needed to, picking up 10 yards on his lone carry. The play of the game came shortly thereafter, with about 20 seconds left. As Campbell dropped back, LE Jabaal Sheard (?) nearly got around the edge to sack him; Campbell however would step up and fire a laser to WR Earl Bennett on a corner route for the go-ahead score. The game would later end as Colt McCoy threw a pick to CB Tim Jennings, who stepped out of bounds to secure the win.​
    BEARS Players of the Game
    QB Jason Campbell - 15-27, 212 yards, 2 TDs​
    DT Matt Toeaina - 3 tackles, 1 sack​
    GG dj illmatic 23, that was one of the best user games I've played so far. I wouldn't be surprised if Trent Richardson finished top 10, even 5, in rushing this year with his speed and power. Good luck to you for the rest of the season.​

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

Good game. You forgot to mention my receivers who all seem to have suffered a horrible wood saw accident leaving them with one finger on each hand:( Drops have killed me all pre-season. My defensive backs seem to be suffering from the same thing. Also, my choice to punt was not controversial, it was a no-brainer. No way I was making a 55 yard FG with a 13 mph wind blowing against me. This was actually the first game my first team actually moved the ball, so I'm still happy with the game.

3. AgenT Smith

AgenT Smith Walk On

I didn't even know those were the circumstances lol. It seemed like you were a lot closer than 55 yards. In that case, yeah it was a good call.

And yeah I remember specifically Josh Gordon dropping a pass that should've been a 1st down or TD, can't remember which one.