Preview: Wyoming Cowboys

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by The Brunsons, Jul 15, 2009.

1. The Brunsons

The Brunsons Guest

Preview: Wyoming Cowboys

University of Wyoming:

Location:Laramie, WY (Just like the cigarettes on the Simpson)
    School Colors:Brown and Gold
    Stadium:War Memorial Stadium
    Capacity:32,580
    Turf:Artificial Turf
    Head Coach: Dave Christensen 1st Year
    Mascot:Cowboy Joe(Which is actually a pony) & Pistol Pete

Rivals:
    Colorado State Rams

2009 Real Life Schedule:
    Sept. 5, 2009 Weber State
    Sept. 12, 2009 Texas
    Sept. 19, 2009 at Colorado
    Sept. 26, 2009 UNLV
    Oct. 3, 2009 at Florida Atlantic
    Oct. 10, 2009 New Mexico
    Oct. 17, 2009 at Air Force
    Oct. 31, 2009 at Utah
    Nov. 7, 2009 BYU
    Nov. 14, 2009 at San Diego St.
    Nov. 21, 2009 TCU
    Nov. 27, 2009 at Colorado State

Conference Titles:
    Top Returning Players:
    * Rushing: Brandon Stewart, WR, 78 yards
    * Passing: Dax Crum, QB, 429 yards
    * Receiving: Greg Bolling, WR, 271 yards
    * Tackles: Gabe Knapton, LB, 92
    * Sacks: John Fletcher, DT, 4.5
    * Interceptions: Chris Prosinski, S, 3

STRENGTHS:
    The coaching staff has done a pretty good job updating the talent on the roster. The most pressing need was at quarterback and junior college transfer Robert Benjamin was a decent pickup. However, Karsten Sween won the job in the spring and should be the quarterback. Sween started in 2007, but struggled with his decision making. Time and experience should help in that regard and it has already begun to show during the spring. However, Sween needs some help from the rest of the offense. Receivers Greg Bolling, Brandon Stewart and David Leonard are back, as is tight end Jesson Salyards, so Sween should have plenty of options down field. Coach Christensen traditionally does not rely much on the ground game, but running backs Devin Moore and Wynel Seldon combined to rush for nearly 2,000 yards last year and they will not be easy to replace.

WEAKNESSES:
    While the offense adjusts to the new system, the defense will have to carry this team. With eight starters returning, the prospects sound promising, but the Cowboys defense needs to replace a few key contributors. Linebackers Ward Dobbs and Mike Juergens will be difficult to replace and that will put a lot of pressure on players like Weston Johnson and Gabe Knapton to step up and be leaders. The biggest problem is on the defensive line where Wyoming struggled to get into the backfield. Tackle John Fletcher is the only player on the team who has proven that he can consistently get to the quarterback and the new staff has to come up with some schemes to get somebody into the backfield. Otherwise the secondary, even though they return three starters, will not rank second in the conference in pass defense again this year.

Outlook:
    The only highlight of Coach Joe Glenn’s last season with Wyoming was the win over Tennessee; and even then the offense struggled to score points. Everybody expects Coach Christensen to turn Wyoming’s offense into Missouri’s offense overnight, but it will not happen. Surely the team will average more than 12.67 points per game, but it would be impossible to do any worse than that. In time, if the recruiting continues to go well, Wyoming could be a player in the Mountain West Conference, but it will take a couple years.

2. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Very good! Not much coming back to Wyoming on the offensive side of the ball...I guess Christenson is bringing a "Missouri-Type" to Wyoming. Should be fun for the players.

3. The Brunsons

The Brunsons Guest

Yeah I played a couple of games with them in play now mode, they've got a nice spread offense and a couple of hidden talents I didn't expect. However there were definate weaknesses. I was pretty happy with the D, I was able to hold off and make some stops on some pretty big name schools. Well see how it goes, because what I've learned with xbox live is the cpu and a live person play two completely different games.

4. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Yeah, that last part is true...The good thing about NCAA 10 is that it seems the speed factor is all but gone which should make for some more even matchups between users and between the user & CPU.