Priest State Punishers

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Juggernautblitz, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

Priest State Punishers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Juggernautblitz

Season Preview

[​IMG]

Priest State Punishers 2009 Season Preview

Hopes are high and prayers abounding for the 2009 Priest State Punishers football squad. For a team on the rebuild it will be a tough task for the Punishers to make much progress in the win - loss column in 2009. This years schedule is loaded with BCS contenders from top to bottom, including week 1 BCS title contending USC Trojans. This should be an interesting year in Wolf Creek. Strap yourself in and enjoy some Punisher Football.

3. Juggernautblitz

[​IMG]

Week 1 - Priest State Punishers at #4 USC Trojans

Los Angeles - Coach Blitz had joked before the game that staying within 30 points of the powerhouse Trojans would be a moral victory for his upstart Punishers. Well that was the only victory the Punishers would come away with in this game. The speed, strength and size difference was visible from the opening kickoff as the men of Troy ran over, through and past the Punishers. The game remained close in the 1st half though as the Punisher D held the Trojan offense in check and pulled down 2 interceptions. The turning point in the game came late in the 1st half with USC leading 10 - 7. Priest State had just intercepted the USC QB for the 2nd time in the half and had the ball around midfield. With approx. 1:30 left in the half, Coach Blitz knew that a tying field goal would be huge and that the worst case scenario of running the clock out and going in at half down 10 - 7, with receiving the opening kickoff of the 2nd half, would not be bad. After telling his QB to play it safe the Punishers proceeded to take the next snap and fumble an option toss, giving the ball right back to the Trojans. USC then drove the 55 yards to score a TD with :03 left in the half to go into the locker room leading 17 - 7.
    The 2nd half was a story of an option based offense trying to play catch up vs. a very good defense and the outcome was much the way you would expect. Priest State threw a couple of INT's, was unable to move the ball effectively, and kept giving USC good field position. Priest State would have had to play a perfect, mistake-free game and get a lot of breaks and neither of these happened.
    Final Score - USC 31 Priest State 7

4. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Sorry about the loss but nice write up.

5. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

Great write-up. That option offense is definitely a double-edged sword.

6. Juggernautblitz

Thanks guys. I am not happy I lost but I am encouraged in how it happened. I played a straight up game of how my team is set up to play and although I was able to keep it close for a while, the better athletes of a much higher rated team eventually took over and pounded me into submission. Hopefully AA with these sliders will be realistic like that and only allow the occassional upset, not our teams ending up in BCS bowls in year 1 or 2.

7. Juggernautblitz

[​IMG]

Week 2 - Priest State Punishers vs. Utah Utes

Not allowed to play game, no comment.

8. Juggernautblitz

[​IMG]

Week 3 - Priest State at Little Rock (Basis)

Little Rock, AR - Basis wrote it up and not much more to say about it. The game could have been closer if any of a few things had gone our way but also probably could have been a bigger win for Little Rock had they kept the pressure on. Priest State was able to run the ball, had nearly as much total O as Little Rock with nearly double the T.O.P. but just couldn't put the ball in the endzone enough and turned it over 3 times. Good win for Basis, bad loss for the Punishers.
    Priest State 0 - 3, including a very controversial loss to Utah, probably should be 1 - 2.
    Next week - vs. Ball State

9. Juggernautblitz

[​IMG]

Week 3 - Priest State vs. Ball State Cardinals

Wolf Creek, CA - On a beautiful 72 degree day in The Fortress, the Priest State Punishers were able to get off the schneid. Behind a strong running game with Everitt Smith and timely passing by QB Robert Staubach, the Punishers were able to move the ball effectively against the Ball State defense although they still could not put up enough points to put them away. The Punishers controlled the clock and the Ball State offense to remain ahead for most of the game but Ball State made a late push to add some drama. With Priest State up 17 - 7 late in the 4th, Ball State's QB was able to complete an over the shoulder bomb to his WR that ended up on the 5 yard line. Ball State punched it in to make it 17 - 14 with about 2:30 to go in the game. The Punishers expected an onsides kick but received a normal kick and managed to convert a couple of nail biting 3rd downs in route to running the clock out and sealing their first victory of the season. Priest State had about 10 recruits at this game so a loss would have been a killer for seasons to come.
    Next week - bye

10. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Good win jblitz. Now wins 2 through 9 will come easy! :D

11. Juggernautblitz

[​IMG]

Week 6 - Priest State vs. Gonzaga

Wolfcreek - This contest was originally billed as the "game of the week" as sometime rival coaches Juggernautblitz and his Punishers were to face coach Archie Griffin and his Bulldogs. Coach Griffin had to pull out of the game and leave his Bulldogs coachless facing the angry Punishers.
    This game was a typical Blitz coached game with a lot of defense and unfortunatly too little offense. The score at the half was 9 - 7 with the Punishers leading. The 9 came on 3 scoring drives that stalled around the 20 - 30 of Gonzaga and the 7 for Gonzaga came on a 70+ yard run by HB #25. The game remained close until near the end of the 4th quarter when Priest State finally broker thru for their first TD, a play action pass, and 2 pt conversion to make the game 24 - 7. With around 2 minutes left in the game a Priest State LB intercepted an errant pitch from the Gonzaga QB and rumbled for the final TD of the game. RB Everitt Smith led the way for the Punishers with 144 YDS rushing and a TD.
    Final Score Priest State 31 - Gonzaga 7.

12. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Well done. Sorry I couldn't be there, but my boys probably did about as well as I would have. Good luck with the rest of the year.

AG

13. Juggernautblitz

It was a lot closer than the final score. At half it was 9 - 7 and really didn't start breaking thru until late in the 3rd. I kind of doubt I would have been able to do this if it would have been you I was playing against.

14. Juggernautblitz

[​IMG]

Week 7 - Priest State at Fresno State

After an important win over the Gonzago Bulldogs the Punishers got back to their losing ways versus another Bulldog, this time from Fresno State. It was a great game, back and forth in the 2nd half but the Punishers came out on the short end.
    The game started off with Fresno State driving for an opening drive score, capped by a 40 yard TD pass. Priest State, plagued by offensive problems all season, decided to open things up a little more and promptly came out and threw a pass to the flats that turned into a pick 6 for the Bulldogs. Down 14 - 0 Priest State needed a score and score they did, with 3 scoring drives in a row accounting for 13 pts.. With around 2:00 remaining in the half, Fresno State carved up the Punisher defense and scored a TD to take a 21 - 13 lead into the half.
    The 2nd half was a back and forth affair. The Punishers scored and failed on the 2 pt. conversion, 21 - 19. They followed that up with a FG to take a 22 - 21 lead. Fresno State then scored and converted a 2 pt. conversion to take a 29 - 22 lead. Priest State rebounded with a TD of their own to tie the game at 29 with around 3 minutes to go. Priest State was feeling their oats, knowing all they needed was a stop and a FG to win. Apparently they were concentrating too much on their oats as the Fresno State RB ran off tackle for a 70 yard go ahead TD with about 1:30 left on the clock. That was a deflater but the game was not over yet. Priest State drove down the field, into the red zone and was in great position for the tieing score but it was not to be. Fresno forced a 4th and 7 with about 20 seconds on the clock and as the receiver appeared to come open over the middle, the Fresno State DE sacked Staubach to effectively end the game.
    Priest State's Everitt Smith once again led the way with over 100 yards on the ground but it was not enough as the defense collapsed late in the game.
    Fresno State 36 - Priest State 29.
    Next up - Boise State

15. Juggernautblitz

Week 8 - Priest State at Boise State

Boise, ID - It was a blue nightmare for the Punishers as nothing went right and Boise State ran away with the win. Priest State fumbled the ball, threw an interception or two, had 2 or 3 big down passes knocked down by the Boise DT's, had multiple drops from their receivers and RB's, and to top it off the Boise State RB's and WR's simply would not be tackled by the Punisher defenders, shrugging and shaking off clean tackle after clean tackle.
    This game was not fun and I was really ready for it to be over after the Boise State RB broke thru my tackles for his 2nd long TD run to put them up 14 - 0 in the 1st quarter. I half-heartedly played the rest of the game and was blown out 55 - 7.