Pro-Am Handicap Question

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Selvy9, May 28, 2012.

1. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

So someone's gonna have to help me out with this handicap thing. I know how handicaps work, how you have your actual score than your net score. But how are we doing things here? Looking at the British scoreboard, it looks like some guys net score is 30-40 shots off their real score, hell there was one guy who's net was 60 shots lower than his real score.

Now I'm all for trying to even things out, make it possible for everyone to compete. But if you're like me, where you're handicap is about even, you can't win anything. I'm obviously not good enough to compete with the SkinniePosts and Kelllers, and I'm not bad enough so my even par rounds don't turn into -15 net rounds.

I guess my question is since it doesn't seem like we're going by the USGA handicapping formula, how are things being figured out?

And I don't want to come off as sounding whiny or bitching, I'm really not griping, I knew going into the Tour here that I was going to count my success by top 25's, I'm just curious as to how someone could have a 60 handicap, lol.

2. Vlad

Vlad Inaugural Masters Champion

Featured Threads:

we are going with the USGA formula with couple of small differences.We are using an 'avaerage slope and rating' for every course we play on instead of individual once.We just don't have the technology or time to use the individual slopes and ratings.
    We are also using 68 as a base par number,instead of 71 or 72.This one is completely irrelevant as is the same for everyone.
    We are also last 16 rounds played instead of last 20
    The whole project is SkinniePost 's child so he can explain any other differences...

As far as the numbers goes of course you'll see a big difference between gross and netscores,cause we have people who are 15 handicaps,so they'll gain
    60 strokes over 4 round tournaments compared to someone who is scratch.The reason they are 15 handicap however is cause they are averaging 85 (or whatever the exact number is) strokes per round.

Theoretically the handicap system favors more inexperienced players as it easier for them to improve and shoot much better than their handicap.At the same time for me or Scott it will be much harder as we are pretty much are shooting the best we can.Not looking at exact results form the tournmaents so far it takes about 5-6 strokes improvement per round to be in contention,so if you score -20 gross you will be right there.

The system is far far from perfect,but it is the best we have.If anyone has any ideas we are open for suggestions.

Also like we've mentioned before we are also looking close in the numbers posted and if someone try any crap they'll be gone in a hurry

Let me know what other questions you might have

3. Selvy9

Selvy9 Walk On

Fair enough, that makes sense. I don't really know any other way to do this, just a flaw in the system I guess that someone who averages an 85 for example, if they shoot a couple 75s, they're a -20, where if I shoot a couple 75s, I'm a +6. I didn't think about 60 strokes being taken over 4 rounds, so a 15 handicap is certainly within the realm of realism. Like I said, I guess it's just frustrating being right around even or a couple under on average, not being anywhere near good enough to sniff the outright title, but not getting the net strokes to be in contention of the "amateur" titles. I'll just go back to counting "wins" as being in the top 25 (think I've done it once, and just missed out in the British) :)