Pro style vs. spread option

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by jello1717, Jun 12, 2011.

1. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I just played UofC and man I forgot how much I hate playing against a pro style attack with a spread team. If '12 plays anything like '11, then I"m gonna be pretty fucked going up against a pro style Arizona, Cal, and Stanford in my conference. I really suck at the game as I'm completely clueless as to how to stop running plays from a pro style attack. Even when I sell out and blitz 7 guys, up the middle and he runs it up the gut I still can't stop it. I foresee a roughly .200 winning percentage against users in '12 (if I'm lucky).

Oh yeah. UofC's starter completed 19 of 20 passes (1 lame duck INT) too. :eek:

I know I'm in the minority, but what kind of attacks do we have in this league? Here's my guess:

Spread option:
    Gators
    Jello

Pro style:
    Suge
    JC
    Dakota

UofC
    Masler
    Randi

Bill
    Nautica

Unsure:
    Texaco
    Edge

2. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Yeah. It's tough because I could run all day and then i'd just pass right over top his blitz. He got me once where he hit Foles and he ducked it in the air and his corner picked it on a blitz. So yeah I was unstoppable. The keys to stopping the run is playing good coverage and being AMAZING with your MLB. Your Dline will clog holes but you gotta just follow the RB and stop him in his tracks. That's the best of advice i got for pro style guys. Spread is only easy for me because everyone in LV aside from me runs spread

3. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

As the team that lost it's last user game back in season 2 to Masler's Bammers of all people, the spread option is unstoppable!!! LOL.

Nah, I feel your pain Jello. Due to my talent and speed advantage some guys would try to play small ball against me, i.e. Masler and Psycho.

Psycho was extremely annoying as he'd run Tight - I - Form sets. I'M NOT SAYING IT WAS CHEESEY THOUGH. IT WAS LEGIT. The only problem is that the offense in the Tight I can put 10 guys in the box. There wasn't a defensive set in last years game that could counter it. If you went 4-4 you had 8 in the box cause your CBs stayed out wide since defensive alignment wasn't programmed into the game.

Masler would rock his single back sets utilizing 2-3 tight ends and just pound away. This also can be difficult to stop when the offense has the OL and RBs for it.

Both Masler and Psycho beat me in season 2 using this strategy. (I helped Masler though as Brantley tossed a pick fest in that game).

Keys to stopping the pro style attack:

1 - Recruit! Recruit! Recruit! - If you get the hogs (DT/DE) in the trenches it doesn't matter how much they want to run, they won't be able to.

2 - Patience! Patience! Patience! - Dakota & Masler can both attest to this. They were two guys that were pretty strong running the ball against me, but my only goal was to stay patient. Eventually the D will make a play on first down setting up a 2nd and long situation. Once that happens, they're in trouble! I expect this to be even bigger in `12 because with increased zone play and being able to utilize zone blitzes offenses should really be in trouble once they get behind the chains. I hope anyways.

3 - I'm not telling you this one. I've said too much already!

4. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Haha. Can't spread all the secrets :) But the problem in me and Jello's game was that I completed EVERY pass but one pass that was botched and picked by a corner blitzing. I was so precise on my passes it was unreal. I do it a lot though cause i'm either gonna take a sack or put it in a position where it will be caught 100%. Even though he got me into some 2nd and long, i either broke off a long run or completed a much needed pass

5. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

A user MLB is ALWAYS a PITA lol.

6. jello1717

You've clearly never seen my retarded use of the MLB. I take him out of more plays than plays I take him into.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jello1717

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the talent you started with and was able to recruit @ Florida is a slight bit higher than what I'll be able to get at Utah. :)

As far as the spread option goes, I haven't seen your stats, but are you actually beating people with the spread option or do you have to go all Air Raid on them and pass the ball for most of your yards?

In my offline dynasty I get roughly 50-55% of my yards on the ground. Depending on my personnel these are probably broken down by about 60% HBs, 30% QBs, 10% WRs. Against users, I usually stay stubborn and keep trying to run the ball until I get too frustrated and then have to go into "pass all the time" mode (which isn't fun).

8. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Wow, your last paragraph pretty much sums up my gameplan, as well. Once I'm forced into the passing game it's just not nearly as fun for me.

9. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

In the first 5 seasons it was more of a pass first spread. When I had Richardson starting (seasons 3-5) I had ridiculous talent at WR so it was more of a pass first spread. After Richardson and those WR's graduated though it became more balanced. I had a couple QB's (Dickens and I forget the others name right now), really good RBs and great lineman for run blocking that really helped. I also began understanding how to better utilize the spread running game in `11 which made a big difference. In my last season my two RBs finished 2 and 3 in the best RB award both gaining around 900 yds and double digit TDs on the season, my QB had strong rushing totals too. This even happened in user games. You could probably look back through some of the game summaries, I think I only passed the ball about 20x per game in user games the last season which is pretty good considering how things typically go in user games.

10. texacotea

texacotea Walk On

See you have me as unsure. I havent had a set offense in this league yet. I had good backs and ran a little bit of everything in the 1st yr I was here. 2nd season I played I tried to run the ball more from I formation and this year I am pass 1st,2nd, and 3rd down team. I feel I will be more a pro style guy with my So Car team because Latti should be a beast and will have a good set of receivers out there.

So yea unsure is about right :)

11. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I cannot wait to get the game in hand and design my playbook. I already know what it is going to look like.

12. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

GoGamecocks

13. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Flex bone and 5 wide?

• Like Like x 3
  15. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

[​IMG]

16. edge7771

edge7771 Walk On

have a question, do we have to use our teams playbook and D for the first season? Or can use any playbook and D we want?

17. jello1717

I'm sure we'll all have custom playbooks. I'm definitely not using Utah's playbook in season 1 (or any other season for that matter) and I'll have to look @ their defensive personnel to figure out what defense I'll use.

Unfortunately, I'll have to adjust my pb to begin with until I can get the personnel that I need and then I can go with "my" offense instead of having to make concessions due to my slow QBs/HBs.

18. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

@jello1717 - I found that to have any hope of stopping a power running team in NCAA 2011 you really have to play a preponderence of zone defense (especially if you can't user control a LB or S to clean up the mess), which is tricky because zone defenses suck against the pass for the most part. Running man makes it too easy for your opponent to bounce runs outside since the defenders in the box seem to take an immediate step inside off the snap to 'cover' their guy. I figured this out the hard way playing OMLawdog in the Deuce (Gators can probably attest to his ability at running the ball) and also playing guys like BlondeRedhead and Hokie Effect in T3.

This is something I'm hoping they tweak in 2012, or at least if zone defense is improved maybe it will make it more possible to have a successful defensive unit. Toward the tail end of 2011, sometimes defense felt like playing 'Rock/Paper/Scissors' vs the offense.

Just my $0.02. Keep up the good work in here guys, it's always fun reading these discussions.