Problem I see

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Problem I see

Look, I understand the concept of the dumpoff pass to a HB. A checkdown, if you will. But, I went through the stats today and here is what I notice:

Browns: HB J. Lewis 5 more catches than #2 guy on list
    Bears: HB M. Forte 4 more catches than #2 guy on list
    Titans: HB C. Johnson 13 more catches than #2 on list
    Texans: HB S. Slaton 26 more catches than #2 on list
    Raiders: HB D. McFadden 3 more catches than #2 on list
    Panthers: HB D. Williams 3 more catches than #2 on list
    Jaguars: HB M. Jones-Drew 18 more catches than #2 on list
    Dolphins: HB R. Brown 1 catch more than #2 on list

Now, some of these are close, I'll give you that. And I am not trying to call anyone out and piss people off. But Titans, Texans, and Jags...that's a large discrepancy.

This is a small number of teams listed, but some of these are really noticeable. I can't say much myself, as my #2 guy is HB Derrick Ward right now, but he's 13 catches behind my #1 guy, Chris Cooley. If you don't have a good WR core, you shouldn't abuse your HB because he can catch and Madden AI defending the flats is atrocious.

I think we as a board may need to keep an eye on stats like these because if abused can border on cheese tactics. Thoughts? Am I close to the mark? Or am I just crazy? Either way I don't mind, but thought this was something to look out for come next year.

2. Big D

Big D Walk On

I think you are half right here Win. . .I do agree that I sometimes even find myself abusing the dumpoff pass a bit.

However, when the rest of my offense is just absolutlely horrendus and I have a QB who really can't be trusted throwing more than 10 yards downfield, I really need to play to my strengths. I try to mix it up, but obviously I need to get MJD the ball to win. There are defensive schemes that can stop it. . .look at what Gaddy did against me.

So I agree that even I use it too much sometime, but you can't tell me that I need to be getting the ball to Jarret Dillard more than Maruice Jones-Drew. . .

3. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

i noticed that some of those guys were almost leading the league and i did message their owners. i do agree, its something the board needs to keep an eye on. a rb shouldn't have 10-15 catches each game.

4. Big D

Big D Walk On

True...but MJD has only 45ish catches on the season. I don't think that is out of line at all do you????

That is where Winuvas' original post is a little misleading. Yes MJD has 18 more catches than Dillard. . .but he still only has 45 caches on the season.

Am I off base here?

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Like I said, I don't want to piss people off with this. And it wasn't a lot of teams and most of them were small discrepancies. But Slaton was a big concern for me. 101 catches for a RB? Ridiculous.

When doing my stuff I'll keep eyes on stats to see if I can spot some red flags. I won't scream if it's one game, but if it becomes a trend I'll try to let the board know.

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I was just posting the differences. You are right though: I didn't give the whole story. I was just wanting to make a point on the HB/next guy in list discrepancy. Not so much the amount of catches the #1 HB receiver has, but the difference between he and #2.

See my idea here, Dunlap? By the way, welcome to the board. Glad to have ya. :)

7. Big D

Big D Walk On

Thanks. I was getting ready to post my intro...but saw this and wanted to respond....lol.

So before you ban me from the OMFL, just remember that I only threw to MJD 45 times this season :)

Haha. Thanks for all the scrims BTW...hopefully I get Gaddy in round 1. Will be tough to beat him again.

8. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

ya, i am ok with 45 catches. i am not ok with 101 catches.

9. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Not that I played well in that last scrim, but if you can get turnovers like you did in that scrim, you'll whip him. He's got a good scheme, but I was passing against it late. Me. Passing. Chuckle if you want, but he blitzed me left and right and center and I drove down to the 3 yard line before a pick cost me a possibility to get the game close.

And yes, 45 is fine in my opinion. I think the other discrepancy was only 60 catches (Titans). But Slaton was just stupid wrong.

10. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

I had noticed this earlier in the year when Slaton was the leagues leading receiver ...100 catches is just stupid for a RB..
    Good idea to keep an eye on this.I also think it would be a good idea to make a post before year 2 just letting everyone know we are watching this.

11. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

I have always kind of thought this but didnt want to bring it up because I kind of assumed people that do it would get defensive and pissed. I can not stand playing someone that is constantly throwing out of the back field. You can usually tell the difference between a check down and someone doing it on purpose. Some of the stats that Winuvas posted at the top are just annoying to me.