1. If you haven't seen already, TSO is now powered by Discord! This means that we will eventually be disbanding the embedded chat on the main forum page. Head to this page to learn more on how to integrate your TSO account with discord! https://traditionsportsonline.com/wiki/discord-integration/

Problem I see

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Problem I see

Look, I understand the concept of the dumpoff pass to a HB. A checkdown, if you will. But, I went through the stats today and here is what I notice:

Browns: HB J. Lewis 5 more catches than #2 guy on list
    Bears: HB M. Forte 4 more catches than #2 guy on list
    Titans: HB C. Johnson 13 more catches than #2 on list
    Texans: HB S. Slaton 26 more catches than #2 on list
    Raiders: HB D. McFadden 3 more catches than #2 on list
    Panthers: HB D. Williams 3 more catches than #2 on list
    Jaguars: HB M. Jones-Drew 18 more catches than #2 on list
    Dolphins: HB R. Brown 1 catch more than #2 on list

Now, some of these are close, I'll give you that. And I am not trying to call anyone out and piss people off. But Titans, Texans, and Jags...that's a large discrepancy.

This is a small number of teams listed, but some of these are really noticeable. I can't say much myself, as my #2 guy is HB Derrick Ward right now, but he's 13 catches behind my #1 guy, Chris Cooley. If you don't have a good WR core, you shouldn't abuse your HB because he can catch and Madden AI defending the flats is atrocious.

I think we as a board may need to keep an eye on stats like these because if abused can border on cheese tactics. Thoughts? Am I close to the mark? Or am I just crazy? Either way I don't mind, but thought this was something to look out for come next year.

2. Big D

Big D Walk On

I think you are half right here Win. . .I do agree that I sometimes even find myself abusing the dumpoff pass a bit.

However, when the rest of my offense is just absolutlely horrendus and I have a QB who really can't be trusted throwing more than 10 yards downfield, I really need to play to my strengths. I try to mix it up, but obviously I need to get MJD the ball to win. There are defensive schemes that can stop it. . .look at what Gaddy did against me.

So I agree that even I use it too much sometime, but you can't tell me that I need to be getting the ball to Jarret Dillard more than Maruice Jones-Drew. . .

3. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

i noticed that some of those guys were almost leading the league and i did message their owners. i do agree, its something the board needs to keep an eye on. a rb shouldn't have 10-15 catches each game.

4. Big D

Big D Walk On

True...but MJD has only 45ish catches on the season. I don't think that is out of line at all do you????

That is where Winuvas' original post is a little misleading. Yes MJD has 18 more catches than Dillard. . .but he still only has 45 caches on the season.

Am I off base here?

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Like I said, I don't want to piss people off with this. And it wasn't a lot of teams and most of them were small discrepancies. But Slaton was a big concern for me. 101 catches for a RB? Ridiculous.

When doing my stuff I'll keep eyes on stats to see if I can spot some red flags. I won't scream if it's one game, but if it becomes a trend I'll try to let the board know.

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I was just posting the differences. You are right though: I didn't give the whole story. I was just wanting to make a point on the HB/next guy in list discrepancy. Not so much the amount of catches the #1 HB receiver has, but the difference between he and #2.

See my idea here, Dunlap? By the way, welcome to the board. Glad to have ya. :)

7. Big D

Big D Walk On

Thanks. I was getting ready to post my intro...but saw this and wanted to respond....lol.

So before you ban me from the OMFL, just remember that I only threw to MJD 45 times this season :)

Haha. Thanks for all the scrims BTW...hopefully I get Gaddy in round 1. Will be tough to beat him again.

8. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

ya, i am ok with 45 catches. i am not ok with 101 catches.

9. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Not that I played well in that last scrim, but if you can get turnovers like you did in that scrim, you'll whip him. He's got a good scheme, but I was passing against it late. Me. Passing. Chuckle if you want, but he blitzed me left and right and center and I drove down to the 3 yard line before a pick cost me a possibility to get the game close.

And yes, 45 is fine in my opinion. I think the other discrepancy was only 60 catches (Titans). But Slaton was just stupid wrong.

10. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

I had noticed this earlier in the year when Slaton was the leagues leading receiver ...100 catches is just stupid for a RB..
    Good idea to keep an eye on this.I also think it would be a good idea to make a post before year 2 just letting everyone know we are watching this.

11. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

I have always kind of thought this but didnt want to bring it up because I kind of assumed people that do it would get defensive and pissed. I can not stand playing someone that is constantly throwing out of the back field. You can usually tell the difference between a check down and someone doing it on purpose. Some of the stats that Winuvas posted at the top are just annoying to me.