Problems I Have With This League

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Basis4aDay56, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Problems I Have With This League

In no particular order:

- Guys think it is okay to play with conservative running and catching on all game, based on overwhelming response from a party chat about this. I completely disagree and the defense that "well then hit stick should be banned too" makes no sense. How many hit sticks cause fumbles per game? 0.25? Can we bring recruiting back into a level of importance by making you actually have to recruit guys that can CATCH and RUN without fumbling? Flipping an option on a gameplay toggle to overcompensate for your players' deficiencies is laughable, IMO. If it took a ban to the hit stick I would be fine with it, but I think that is a ridiculous compensation. How about I just turn on aggressive strip ball and aggressive big hits to counter your conservative run, since that is the equivilent -- the hit stick has nothing to do with it. Problem is, conservative running and catching is undetectable unless there are no drops and no fumbles in a game -- which is possible without the options on.

- Guys think it is okay and no one says anything besides in our MVP voting that Oklahoma State put up the cheesiest numbers I've ever seen, this side of Daddy Amp. It's not cool, and it's unjustifiable. Part of being a sim player is mixing up your playcalling, BY DEFINITION. Numbers like that next season from anyone and I'll be outta here.

- It somehow went unnoticed that Michigan redshirted his (presumably) senior punter and has his kicker pulling double duty so that he didn't have to recruit either for next year. That is so underhanded, it's not even funny IMO, let alone tolerable.

- Clemson vs. Miami:
    Watch those videos. That is tolerable? Really?? To me, all three of them are cheese. What do you guys think? Can we get an actual discussion going about this?

That's it from me until I hear some other opinions. It seems like there is a lot of shit going on right now and no one says BOO about it.

Might be time for some rules for those that can't police themselves? Who knows, I don't run the show, we all do.

Someone say SOMETHING!

2. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

- I don't think you should leave the conservative carrying and catching on all game. If its a late drive and you're up, then I think switching to conservative carrying and tempo is acceptable. But using it the entire game to "beat the system" isn't what the feature is there for, imo.

- I think its OK to have a lot of passing yards, if that is your offense, but maybe the ball should have been spread around a little more.

- I looked at the roster and Michigan has a RS freshman kicker and freshman punter... Did you mean another team?

- The first two videos are plays I don't care for at all. No one of the D-linemen come free in those videos and pressures the QB. He just takes off. The third video was a screen pass, so you can see why he dropped back 10 extra yards, but you can tell his mentality with the QB was run, run, run when he tried to take it up the sideline instead of throwing it away. The excuse I got for the game was "he has 77 acc and 40 awr so you should expect him to run."

3. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I won't be recruiting a punter or kicker for a while. My kicker is a FR(RS) and my punter is a true FR (far from a SR). My kicker is a better punter than my punter so I was redshirting the punter to give him time to develop. I didn't think this would be an issue and I'm sorry if it is. My SR P was a much better kicker than my true FR kicker so I redshirted the kicker my first year and had my punter kick FGs my first year.

4. jello1717

I won't be recruiting a punter or kicker for a while. My kicker is a FR(RS) and my punter is a true FR (far from a SR). My kicker is a better punter than my punter so I was redshirting the punter to give him time to develop. I didn't think this would be an issue and I'm sorry if it is. I did the same thing last year as my SR P was a much better kicker than my true FR kicker so I redshirted the kicker my first year and had my punter kick FGs my first year.

Also, I'm extremely baffled as to why Michigan was called out on this (ESPECIALLY by you of all people!)

Looking at the depth charts from this year:
    Oklahoma St, Ohio St, Alabama, Clemson, Florida St., Georgia and some team named Auburn(?!?) have their kicker punting instead of their punters. Also, Auburn's punter is a true SR, so this fits exactly the scenario you incorrectly mentioned about Michigan.

By my count, that's 8 of 12 teams (again, including your own) that have their kickers punting for them which means, of course, that any punter on those teams that's a true (any grade) will redshirt this year, including your SR punter.

5. Masler

Masler Moderator

I didn't even realize my kicker was punting to be honest. I never really pay much attention to them that much.

As for the whole Gameplan, it should be situational IMO. I could see you switching to conservative catching/carrying if you are experiencing alot of dropped passes or fumbles etc etc. But the setback for conservative is basically less yards per play. The receivers will worry more about catching the ball over getting the first down or making a big play. The ball carrier will worry more about holding onto the ball rather than blowing over a defender for a huge play, he'll take the hit vs a turnover. So conservative isn't really that bad either, but still would be fair to keep it situational.

I also try my best to mix up my playcalling and who I throw to. As you can see from my stats no receiver has over 700 yards receivers. Basis has a huge point with spreading the ball around and I agree with it 100%.

6. jello1717

========================================================
    Okay. Now that I feel I've sufficiently defending my punting honor, on to the other stuff. I too am appalled by the stats some of us are putting up. I'm holding out hope that this is a slider issue that can be fixed, but based on my own testing for my offline dynasty, I know this is tough. 2 particular stats that I have issues with are Ok. St's passing and MSU's running (and passing). For the running, the problem seems to be (from what I've seen) that inside runs (at least from the SG) are so broken with these sliders as to be fruitless to attempt while outside runs are so broken that they're huge gains all of the time. While I mentioned MSU, this is a universal problem. 11 of the top 12 leaders in the nation for yards per carry are user backs. Clearly this is an issue.

As for the passing, 11 of the top 14 leading QBs for yards per completion are users (obviously only 1 of them plays for Oklahoma St). The main issue here is that the CPU blitzes to motherfucking much. If they're sending 7 or 8, guys are going to be open. This leads to lots of sacks, but if they don't get to you fast enough, it's going to be a huge gain. It takes a ton of self control to call a 4 wide HB dive and see the CPU with 8 guys in the box and clearly about to blitz 7 or 8 and not quick audible to a pass.

As for OkSt's numbers, it's the sheer total of them that drives me nuts and this is what makes them stand out. He just throws way more than he runs. Both Texas and Georgia's QBs have higher yards per completion than Weeden, but they run much more than OkSt. If they threw as often, they'd be putting up arcadish numbers too. The main problem with OkSt is that they seem to be all big plays (they have 2 WRs and a fucking TE all averaging over 20 YPC) but Texas, Florida, Georgia (*2), FSU(*2), MSU, and Mia all have receivers averaging over 19 YPC (and Michigan has a guy averaging 18.5). Again, if these teams threw the ball as often as Oklahoma St, they'd be putting up stupid numbers on par with Anyiam. Sadly, I don't know how to fix this unless we all made a concerted effort to never call plays with streaks or slants in them.

I think the main problem is that in '10, about the only way to put up Amp-like numbers was to cheese the game. In '11 (similar to '09, but not as bad) it's easy to get huge gains without cheese. If we were to exclude all plays that have a decent likelihood of a big gain, we'd have to throw out a huge chunk of our playbooks. While it bugs me to no end to see some of the stats being put up, I know that we can't expect all of us to do like Psycho and go coach-mode and just let the CPU play the game for us.
    I obviously wasn't in on the discussion about conservative catching or running, so I'm not sure what's going on there, but I haven't had a problem with this (in my whole 2 user games).
    I just looked at the clem/mia game's videos (I had missed them before). The last one was horrible and I would've paused the game and asked Hova to stop that. If he continued, the vids would've been sent to Shaun to ask for a ruling. In the 2nd one he broke the pocket pretty early, but it wasn't too bad and I wouldn't have complained. I have no problems with the 1st one at all.

EDIT:
    Link to Mia/Clem vids so you don't have to search for them

7. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

I didn't know running with the QB was cheese but If anybody has EVER played me in my WHOLE TF career you would know that excuse is the EXACT reason why i was running with the QB. I garuntee you If Harris is healthy I will pry never QB run once the whole game.

If I drop back in the pocket and look for the pass, then take off, I don't see it as cheese. I see it as my QB can not throw more than 7 yards straight so if nothing is opening, which is never does, then I had to try and make a play. The screen obviously looked bad but that was explained. (I could have passed and been cheesy but I knew it was a broken play so I tried to get back to LOS, my only option). I explained all of this before and will never run with the QB again if this was a problem but I was told it was not.

8. Hova

When you call a screen play your blockers pull. If your blockers pull and your HB is STILL covered what do you do?? Throw a pick?? Or get grounding? You naturally avoid the rush then try to make a play rather than being sacked. Like I said I had no intention on passing that ball, rather I was trying to get to the LOS. I pry could have threw it away once I hit the sideline but with a Fast QB I figured I would try the run. I messaged shaun and showed him all of this right after it happened.

9. Hova

Conservative Setting- I agree and would go either way on this

Oklahoma St- Have not looked closely at the stats, was he breaking NCAA records?

Punter- Don't care much about who or what is punting for you. This could be a problem at other positions though

10. jello1717

I also agree that we should be spreading the ball around. If you look @ my team, I have 6 guys with at least 100 yards rushing, 10 guys with at least 1 rushing TD (6 guys with at least 2 rushing TDs), 6 guys with at least 1 receiving TD (out of only 14 TD passes) and 5 guys with at least 200 yards receiving (out of only 2300 yards passing)

11. Hova

Where did this rant come from? Those videos are a month old. Did you see a lack of fumbling and dropped passes lately?

12. jello1717

I'm sure I'm taking this too personally, but hey, what can ya do?

So, I checked your recruiting and not only have you not signed a punter (despite having 1 SR punter as the only punter on your team), you also don't have any offers out to punters. This, combined with the fact that your punter hasn't played a down for you this year clearly means that you intended all along to redshirt your true SR punter and not recruit one this year (unless you've made offers and just lost the punter to another school). Again, this is exactly the scenario that you called underhanded and intolerable. So, could you tell me why this is intolerable and underhanded for me to do (which, again, I'm not doing) but it's okay for you?

13. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

:eek:

When I said presumably, it meant that I didn't actually look at your team. Sorry for incorrectly (shit, I was WAY off) calling you on that Jello. Like Masler I had no idea my kicker was punting -- I know who my kicker is but when the punter is on the field I never even notice who it is. It wasn't my intention to redshirt my senior punter so I'll put him into play in our bowl game.

14. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

No, I saw a lack of any bringing this kind of stuff up so that changes can be made. It's kind of funny, we all sit around in party chats and talk about this stuff and what frustrates and annoys us in terms of what is going on in our leagues. From that point, nothing happens. Those videos (which are linked in my post already Jello ;) ), while a month old, were something that was talked about in a party chat and no one liked what went on in them, yet none of us said anything. The conservative run/catch on all game is something that I had a suspicion that a lot of users do every game, and I pretty much found out that I'm right.

Plus, with season 2 on the horizon, we can hash this stuff out now and get it dealt with in a timely manner.

15. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Interesting stuff guys.

1) I have never used conservative run or catch, and my guys have a decent number of drops/fumbles. I'm with Masler on this one, and we've discussed it together, that it should be a situational thing if you even use it at all.

2) As far as my running numbers go, yes they are probably not realistic compared to what MSU will do this year, but I do run almost twice as much as I throw and a lot of the inflation came from the early games against poor teams with the easy sliders. I've had 100 yard games since then, but it's been much more difficult. This last game against LSU was very tough on the ground. Caper went over 100 yards, but it took 23 carries, and I could not get anything going to the outside with the speed of their linebackers. The passing numbers are directly related to what Jello said with the perma-blitz the CPU seems to have. I don't try to exploit it, but if they are blitzing 3 or 4 guys 75% of their plays I'm not going to just take the sack, although I'd be willing to bet Cousins is towards the top in sacks taken.

3) Michigan f'd up again and should be kicked out of the league, or at least docked heavily in recruiting and banned from 4 years of bowl games. This is ridiculous, they just can't get their shit straight over in Ann Arbor. If this is truly a sim league than UofM's coach should probably be removed after years of scrutiny.

Only playin' jello haha.

16. Masler

Masler Moderator

Yea the CPU is always set on getting you in the backfield. I don't know how many times I got hit for a loss vs UNC. It took forever to get Ingram in the endzone (20+ carries). And usually if I see the CPU about to blitz I audible, even then I most likely throw an incompletion or INT, which I challenge JCs bet in which McElroy could probably challenge Cousins for sacks taken (and hits that lead to wounded ducks being picked off).

17. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I'll fess up, basis is pointing at me about the conservative running. He and I were in a party chat and I freely admit I put it on every game and leave it on. I suck at breaking tackles, and it seems if I don't have it on I fumble on the 1st or 2nd play of the game. I used the hit stick as an example of other non-sim features in this game that get abused by people with 'stick skills' and if I don't have those skills, or the skills to be able to user juke 5 guys on a play like JC can, then I feel entirely right to tell my guys to cover up the ball and don't fight for extra yards. I'll be honest, if you guys tried to tell me that I couldn't ever use it, but guys are allowed to hit stick all over the field (which is just as easy to do as last year, EA is full of shit) and are allowed to user pick passes left and right, then I'm not sure this is the right place for me.

18. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Regarding the K/P thing - I couldn't really care either way.

Regarding the Mia/Clem highlights - if the QB did that 3 or 4 times a game that isn't a problem (you would expect a young QB with legs to break the pocket quicker than normal) but if it was an every passing play thing that's a different story.

19. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Those plays remind me of watching Forcier last year. He would break the pocket instantly if his #1 wasn't open. And he had the same stupid move every time, juke right then cut up the middle or as I like to call it "ND sucks I'll run it up the middle on you all day".

I don't really have a problem with the Hova plays, as long as it wasn't an all game thing like dru said.

20. Hova

It wasn't all game. It was 11 attempts for 62 yards. The 2 videos were 15+ so that is 30 yards right there. I also ran many option plays so there is no way I ran like that more than 3 times and I always try to make a quick read first. Again my "excuse" is the exact reason why I was running with my QB. The main problem I have with this is I would have heard nothing about this myself if I did not message bill after he didnt say anything to me after I said GG.

When it comes to user games, especially in this league, If I am doing anything wrong please pause and tell me. Even If I feel you are wrong I will still stop doing what ever it is. The even bigger problem is I messaged the commish right away asking if I was wrong on these plays and I was told they were not a problem, then a month later It comes back as If i was cheesing and getting away with it. I would like to know 100% if these QB runs are legit, if not I will stop gladly.

And Again the Screen play looks like BS but look at the outcome. 1 yard gain. I pry was quick to drop back but as you can see the HB was totally covered so I had no option. If I would have chucked that down field it was have defiantly been cheese, I knew this so that is why I just tried to get it back to the LOS.

21. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

1) If we're gonna ban conservative catch/run, I say we ban all gameplan features. Ban one, ban all.

2) I don't care who punts the ball. But there is no way in hell a senior should be redshirted.

3)Hova and Suge have been here long enough to know better. I don't believe either of them were intentionally cheating/cheesing...if they were at all. Pass happy/Air Raid is feature of the game, I guess just try to spread it around to different receivers a little more.

22. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

A little late to the party but…

- Conservative catching/ball carrying is a joke, especially all game (gameplaning in general while it could have been a good idea, is just a joke). They finally fix it so you actually fumble fighting for yards like a f’n idiot surrounded by the defense, and when you turn on conservative ball carrying on *poof* there goes the fix, feel free to be an idiot again. Conservative catching I used to use in NCAA’10, till Basis brought up the point, “you want WRs to catch the ball recruit those receivers.†Good point, completely didn’t think about it, now I don’t use it. Oh and the hit stick thing, I'm actually with banning that talent enhancer too.
    - P/K thing… I hate using these guys out of position and look down on those that do this sh!t. Kickers kick, punters punt, recruit the guys, or suffer… of course I always check to see who my kick and kickoff guy is to make sure that they didn’t sub my punter in there, I guess I never checked to see who the punter was, so right now I’m looking down(ish) on myself, kicker punting wouldn’t cause me to say anything to another user.
    - Mia/Clem is a perfect example of why should we ever need to call a run if this is allowed? Here’s the deal, if I have a cover 2 zone beater called and dude calls man, snap the ball hit the drop back and take off. Call verts, I can find a man open in anything but cover four and cover three where the user drops back… either way the first ten yards are mine when I run. Hell for the matter the first 3-4 yards you get for free anyways because even LBs in spy they don’t come up to hit the QB till he passes the LOS, then at best they hit him 3 yards down field, then hell fight for the extra yard with conservative carry to pick up a full 5 yards. I don’t expect people to hang in the pocket all day, but not giving a good 3 seconds (after drop back) to let the play develop I do not like it and feel it once again infringes on the “Why the hell call a run play?†In NCAA’09 I used to hang then run out of the pocket and throw it away… I’ve been leaning on going back to this.
    - Crazy numbers vs cpu :confused:, no idea here. I've tried just about everything to calm down the big play, and still make the game worth sitting down and playing. All I know is when it's 2nd/3rd and long the cpu is up by a TD late in the game... wtf are they doing going cover 0, or blitzing 8, so it's no realy a slider thing. I do know with the offensive scheme I decided on where the 3 yards in a cloud of dust sets up the big bomb, I would realistically have a high yards per catch anyways, but the big play is way to easy in this years NCAA.

23. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

Run out of the pocket and chuck it out of bounds.

Personally I think a screen is a go/no go thing. Throw it to the screen man and that's it, don't run, don't throw it downfield to the decoy recievers, and if you do ground it on a screen play, I for one would have declined the grounding. Seeing that there's no option to throw the ball at the screen guys feet to just get rid of it.

24. Masler

Masler Moderator

I don't completely agree with this. If your HB is covered and the defense is coming and you have the wide open guy down field, why shouldn't you throw it? If they were decoys only then the game would not give you the option to throw it to them. It's not like they are always open either. I'm not one to call a screen, generally don't like them, but if your main receiver (HB) is not open and you can't escape pressure, get it to who is open.

25. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

I agree with Masler about the decoy receiver. They rarely get open, so if the defense plays for the screen why shouldn't you be able to try a deep shot? Thats why they are there.