Problems with my Wired Connection (PS3)

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by Emmdotfrisk, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Problems with my Wired Connection (PS3)

So guys I have been talking to a few guys and didnt notice my connection was an issue until as of late. I am wired from my PS3 to my router and D/L just under 2 Mbps....so I did some tests.....

CONNECTION TYPE PS3 CPU
    Device(Ethernet)-router-Modem D/L - 1.8, U/L - 578.7 kbps D/L - 9.46 Mbps, U/L .9 Mbps
    Device(Wireless 802.11g)-router(100% signal strength)-Modem D/L - 1.5 Mbps, U/L 608.9 Kbps D/L - 5.7 Mbps, U/L .87 Mbps
    Device(ethernet)-Modem D/L - 2.9 Mbps, U/L - 652.5 kbps D/L - 10.33 Mbps, U/L - .9 Mbps

So these tests have shown me that I am getting great bandwith with my CPU (Macbook Pro) but getting poor bandwith on my PS3. I have refreshed the modem and router between every test. I have nearly ruled out it is a router (NETGEAR RangeMax Wireless b/g/n WNR834B) problem but wanted to see what you guys think. I would like to optimize my connection to that of my Macbook so what the shit is going on here guys??

2. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    How long is the cable to the PS3? If it is short, try swapping it out for another and see if that changes anything. Also, after that test, plug it into a different port and try that out.

Just want to eliminate the simple things before you get into a full blown router config.

3. Emmdotfrisk

I've tested with a 50 footer and a 5 footer....here were the results.

50 foot 1.7 Mbps D/L
    5 foot 1.8 Mbps D/L

as for ports I have used all of them but have not checked to see if that alters connection speed. I will right now.

4. Emmdotfrisk

seems to be no difference in ports.

5. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

How do I reset my modem? How do I reset my router?

6. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

as far as this topic goes. gettin under 1mbps upload could be your underlined issue. gamers use a lot more upload. with that being said i would make sure when you play games you stay hardwired and definately dont run any other cpu's or programs while playing games. you should be ok then. if u want to run more stuff try to get an internet provider that is more reliable on upload speed.

2. try hardlining your cpu straight to the modem and see if speeds change at all.(probably not though)

3. bcduggan the best way to power cycle or reset modem and router is as follows:
    1.unplug both router and modem from electricity
    2.plug your MODEM back in first and wait for it to fully sync back up
    3.plug in your router only after the modem is "block synced"

7. Emmdotfrisk

TR,

Check my table on my first post. I tried all scenarios, including the one you suggested, and tested the connection on each. The issue is that there is so much variance of speed between my macbook and PS3 with the same settings and various "hook ups." As far as a different service provider, Mediacom is the only one in my area, (THANKS IOWA).

8. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

gotcha. as far as the speed test on ps3 goes ive always had a lower reading from that standpoint when ive done my own comparisions. my response to your post was based on your cpu reading(which i should have mentioned). you basically have 1 meg upload speed which should be fine to play any ps3 game, but if you are doing things(or other people in the house) while playing then you could compromise your connection.

9. Emmdotfrisk

Is it normal to have that much lower of speed? If so I am working with just over 50% lower bandwith from CPU to ps3 where I know others who can achieve somewhere around 20 Mbps dl.

10. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

well different providers will carry different speeds regardless of advertisements as im sure we have all learned. your speeds aren't bad. like i said if u were playing just the ps3 with nothing else going you shouldn't have any problems at all. i work/install for comcast out here in california. a typical house i go to will have 6 to 15 megs dl speed (12meg standard package) and 5 to 10 megs upload (1meg standard package)

when i had dsl i had about 1 meg download and 200k upload speed(ps2 days) and anytime someone else in my house got online to do something i felt it immediately.

i really think your speeds are ok and it really just matters exactly what "the other cpu's" on your network are doing at the time you are playing. your download speed has plenty of extra room but your upload in my opnion doesn't have much room to work with and we are using the upload a lot more as gamers.

11. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

try this site.

speedtest.comcast.net

do not type in www. and also pick the server closest to where u live. these are pretty reliable servers b/c we have to check our speeds there.

12. Emmdotfrisk

All CPU statistics on the first post were generated via speedtest.net

Thanks for your help, I am going to bring the PS3 to some friends house and check out different combinations of my PS3 with their connection and their PS3 with my connection.

13. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

So in order for online play with ps3 to be smoother, I would need 1 meg upload?

My download right now for my computer is 1.4-1.5 meg upload is .5 meg. When they were testing 3 meg download speed, I don't remember what the upload speed was, my ps3 games were a lot smoother online.

I do notice a lot of lag, getting booted from user games, when my wife is playing games on facebook or pogo.

14. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

i would say over a meg of upload would be fine. even when your wife is online i would say u should be good. under 1 meg is pushing it though when u are using other things at the same time as playing game.

15. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

When I run internet connection test on PS3 this is what I get

failed then maybe 30 seconds later

Download speed 1.4 mbpsg
    Upload speed 22.7 kbps

also states connection error 80029020

using speedtest.net

my download speed is 1.45 mb/s
    upload speed is .36 mb/s

I know it's minus 11 where I live right now. Would the weather have anything to do with my problem?

16. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

yeah man those speeds right there are your problem. im sure weather can play a factor. do u have cable modem or dsl? if u have cable modem i can definately help u isolate it further. pm me and ill give u my text number.

17. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Cable modem

I "re-enetered" the settings back into the PS3 last night and it seemed to fix the problem. What I mean by re-entered is all the settings were saved in PS3 and I went thru the process of putting the settings in but didn't change anything.

I played user game with jca after this and the first half till around 1/2 way thru 3rd quarter it played great. Then it started lagging slightly, until about 1 min into 4th quarter when it acted like I was going to lose the game and then recovered and had no lag the rest of game.