Program Goals and Structure

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by GoGators, Dec 18, 2009.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Program Goals and Structure

I seen a thread in the Duece that made me think of this and thought it'd be fun to discuss.

What is the motto by which you are building your program? Do you aim to be an offensive powerhouse or a steel curtain defense, etc?

For example, Urban Meyer publicly has stated that he is trying to make UF into the fastest team in the nation. So, what is your goal for your team??? What types of players are you trying to recruit to fit your goal, and which positions are most important?

2. GoGators

At UF I inherited a stacked UF team that had blazing speed at every position. A lot of these guys are graduating now and I'm getting into the team I've recruited.

My goal thus far has been to make sure I have a solid SEC caliber defense every year. I've placed a lot of emphasis on my defensive secondary, CBs especially. I'm almost thinking I haven't paid enough attention to my front 7. This is something I've found necessary since my rivals UGA and LSU continue to land the top WR prospects in the nation every year.

My offensive recruiting has been a mystery. My offense runs through my QB and that dictates my style. I haven't had a running QB interested in me that was worth while yet. I really want to get back to what I could do with Tebow in the UF spread, but without that guy I'm not sure what I'll do offensively next season when Brantley graduates.

I'll still aim to be the fastest team in the nation though.

3. dharvey09

dharvey09 Walk On

for Georgia I'm looking to build a dominate offensive Line to slow down the dominate DL every team in the SEC seems to have anually.

my recruiting efforts the next few years will lean heavily towards defense as I look to build up depth on the DL which is very lacking right now and I like to bring in a LB or 2 every year because play recognition and awareness at LB are huge for me and time in the system developes that. Im looking for the whole package on defense pass rushing DL hard hitting LB that can move sideline to sideline and DB that can come up and tackel and also defend the pass and cover those speedy SEC recievers.

I would like to build Georgia into an NFL draft heaven with NFL height weight players at every positions on defense not those undersized LB and DL and 175 pound safeties.

4. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

FSU needs to seriously reload from the inside out. Right now we are set to go into next season with 3 more strong safetys than we have offensive lineman. We are starting to wonder if Mcully Culkin was the head of recruiting for the previous staff.

5. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Offense- I want to be in the top 5 scoring and then top 25 in each other statistic. I like big fast backs and big receivers. I recruit usually 6'1'' and up but always go after the speedy guy. Really doesnt matter about a QB but I like to have mobility as you can see this year.

Defense- I will recruit the best man and press corners and look for them to be 6'0''-6'2'' Safeties 6'2''-6'6'' and good speed. Gotta have a good dline and average LBs because I can cover most of the middle with my safety. I like to cause turnovers and usually lead the nation in them. Im a big defensive guy and hate giving up yards and points but for some reason it seems like all of my stats in each dynasty so far have been inflated and look terrible. I love speed, but look at FSUs defense this year, Mickey said it was probably one of the fastest Ds he has coached and they were one of the worst in the NCAA.

6. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Even though this is my 3rd year, I'm still trying to build UNC's identity. The team was in a shambles when I took over and I'm still trying to recover from that. This is my first year having some 5* kids interested in my school, but my recruiting schedule was bad so I still won't get many this year. I'm hoping that next year I can start building the team that I want.

My overall program goal and coaching philosophy is "I want to win games. I want to win conference championships. I want us to challenge for the National Championship."

Offensively, I want a smash mouth team. I want good, strong backs that can punish defenses. I don't care so much about speed. I want big, strong, tall receivers that can go up and get the ball over their shorter defenders. I want a QB with a cannon for an arm that can sling the rock all over the field. I want big, strong offensive linemen that will impose their will on the defensive front 7 all game long.

Defensively, I want to build the a dominant front 7 with very good defensive linemen and exceptional linebackers. I want to get to the point where I can recruit the best LBs in the country and if I had my way, LB would be the strongest position on my entire team. I want tall, fast corners if I can get the, but the most important thing is that they have the speed to keep up with the fast receivers in this league. They must have good man and press skills. My safeties need to have great zone coverage skills and tackling skills. Anything else on top of that is just gravy.

7. GoGators

It's interesting how height seems to be such a big consideration. KnighNoles wants a safety whose 6'6". I don't know if I've ever heard of a safety that big but he definitely would be great for them jump ball situations.

I think it's funny that the guy with the most figured out philosophy can't get there with his team. Jello knows exactly what he wants, but isn't able to recruit to that level yet. Perhaps this off season and next year will be his year. I'd actually bet on that one.

An interesting point was brought up by KnighNoles with the man and press corners though. I'd really like to have this caliber CB as well so I could play like Miami's D in the late 90s early 2000s. Man on the outside and everybody else is attacking. Problem is that the CBs always seem to be at a disadvantage in this game when playing man to man, especially in user vs user games. Do you guys agree?

8. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

This game and this league is all about speed. I would like to load my skill positions with players mid 90's speed ratings. I think it is important to have a mobile QB and to be at least 2 deep at the RB position. Ideally I would want a strong O-line with size that will aid in the running game. I believe a balanced attack is most effective.

The speed doesn't stop on offense. I would like a combination of speed and physical play on all stand up defenders, especially since I play a 4-2-5. I will need a FS that can cover alot of ground. I would like big DT to clog up the middle and once again speed at the DE position. I believe in pressure and bringing it with a any combination of all 11 defenders.

So far Va Tech has been very compeitive and mostly due to their effectiveness on offense, ranking in the top 10 nationally in almost all offensive categories. The defense is what needs to be emphasized now and into the future as they seem to allow just as many yards as they put up, especially if the Hokies want to fullfil their dreams of a BCS National Championship. Defense wins championships and Va Tech is just not there yet.

9. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

Alabama is in a rebuilding process. Like everyone else we are trying to get faster. I am trying to move away from the 3-4 in hopes to stop all of the spread offenses in SE. Offensive and defensive line are points of emphasis in recruiting. I want some big hogs on offense so I can try and control some clock. Next year I will go to AF playbook to try and better utilize Star Jackson. I want top notch TEs and big sure handed WR so I can move the chains on 3rd and short.

On Defense the goal is to pressure the QB and get penetration against the run. I hope to recruit fast DEs. I am LB heavy and will look to move some of those guys to DL if they are heavy enough.

Bottom line. Want to run 40x a game and limit the big pllay on Defense.

10. KnightNoles

yea my depth for FS and SS on my FSU team are:
    FS- 6'2 6'5 & 6'0
    SS- 6'2 6'1 5'11 & 6'6

11. GoGators

A 6'6" safety is insane. I don't think you'd see that much in real life. A kid that big with enough speed to play safety would probably get asked to bulk up and play a rush end. Put 30 more pounds on that frame but keep the same speed, that guy would be a nightmare for QBs everywhere.

12. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

Height is a tricky thing. I do not know if others have noticed but I the game and issues with players 6'6" and above. I know for sure that animations will miss catches if you have a WR of 6-6 or taller. On defence I once had a 6-7 MLB he was awsome in ratings but I could never big hit with him. I think there is a high possiblity that big hits take longer (you need to press the button earlier) with taller players.

My goal with my offense is balance. Interior OL to run, Tackles with good pass footwork and speed to protect me from the outside rushers. RBs don't have to be faster than 90 to be effective pounding the ball up the middle. Key attributes are breaktackles, trucking, carries and acceleration. QB need good power and accuracy to destroy man defense with no safty help. QB speed is not needed if you can get time against a <=4 man rush, and if the qb can make quick decisions against a blitz. Awareness is also important in a qb for PA. WR need a mix of speed on the outside and position in the slot. TE need to have good CIT.

DE most important position on the field. Speed, finese, shed blocks.

I am using the 4-2-5 so safties are key. safties with good zone coverage skills, speed(90) tackles and hitpower. Extras that are to slow and meet the weight requirement make good LBs.

Corners need good speed, agility, acc, and press skills. above 6 feet is a serious plus.

13. KnightNoles

What about Taylor Mays?

14. GoGators

He's only 6'3".

15. KnightNoles

ahh hes about 6'4 6'5 hahah

16. GoGators

USC's program has him listed at 6'3". Now figure that exaggerates by at least an inch, he's probably only 6'2" or 6'1". Either way, dudes still a freak though.

17. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I remember having a 6'4" safety with GT...Cooper Taylor...he was a monster :)...so now seeing I have a fast safety but he's only 5'11" kinda sucks lol.

With UVA, I want to recruit heavily on defense. I want fast ends, fast LB's but I want my CB's to be SMART and know how to play man/zone coverage. What I've learned is that, sure you can have a fast CB run 99 speed or whatever but if he can't cover, it's NOT going to work. I'll throw out there a better cover CB than someone who can just "run".

I need those speedy guys @ WR than @ CB. Honestly on offense, I need my QB to be accurate, my RB's to know how to run between the tackles and be tough runners and my WR's to be possession types. I don't fall in love with the deep pass but I need my WR's to be tough and be able to take hits in the middle of the field without dropping passes. I have no worries my offense will be great. I just need the defense to be able to withstand the rigors of playing tough offenses throughout the league.

18. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

Goals

Despite the lofty ranking (and some lucky wins), Clemson isn't ready to compete for a national title quite yet. As such, we need to recruit better than in years past. Getting to a 5 star prestige was huge, but our real goal is to get to that coveted 6 star prestige plateau. That would make recruiting a lot easier.

Apart from recruiting, Clemson's goal is to rank in the top 10 on a yearly basis.

Scheme

Simple - speed on defense and a power back on offense with a fast receiver to break coverage on the outside. I aslo like the idea of a dominant tight end (a la wilson from unc) but haven't got one to Clemson yet.