Promises During Recruiting

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by recchem2000, Jul 30, 2010.

1. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Promises During Recruiting

We never really discussed this so we might as well. There is nothing in the rules about it either. Is anyone using them in this version? Anyone heard anything about them? I havent used them at all. Let me know what you all think.

2. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

For these types of schools, points wise, you'd be better off just hard selling your pitches. Only the promises the recruit cares for are worth anything. When you keep your promises, you open up more promises and your coaching prestige goes up but I don't think it helps too much with actually signing kids.

3. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Im just wondering if we should use them or just ban them all together. Like I said I've never really messed with them so I know very little about them.

4. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

I'm using them, but sparingly. The thing is, they're a way to gain extra pts to get out of a bad pitch. But if you don't keep them you never really get a benefit, and you're coach prestige goes down.

You can use 3 promises, per kid, per year. If you keep them (don't redshirt the guy, or beat your rivals, etc) you get coach prestige points, the higher the promise the more points you will gain towards your coach prestige ranking (which would ultimately help that particular pitch towards kids in the future, from C+ to B or B+, etc). Also, the more points you will get for that promise during your call. It could be huge once you gain enough prestige to unlock certain promises. You'll never lose out on the promises you start with, but you could potentially gain some big ones in the future, and I think you could lose those if you don't keep them after promising. Since the whole point of a call is to out-point your opponents going after that kid every week, using a promise on a C+ or lower pitch could really help you out for a big recruit.

I would personally not like banning them. It's not an unfair advantage, because you have to keep promises to get bigger ones. It's really the only Recruiting Coaching Advantage we have as users in the game. Of course one user might be a generally better recruiter than another, but if you keep promises I would say you deserve to use the unlocked ones to get a bigger recruit in the future. This could potentially even out a playing field for coaches, which is the case normally. You have to find some way to be better than your competitors. Also if you don't keep some promises, kids will be more tempted to transfer.

I personally use them sparingly because if I don't keep one, and I were to use it on every recruit, I would potentially lose a lot of points in my prestige. But sometimes I'm down to the wire with no 'change subjects' available, or another team is starting to pull away on their board and I'm trying to out-point that other team for the week, to get back in it. The fact that you can only use 3 per kid, and the fact that we are obligated to keeping them by the game in many regards, makes this a good feature imo. I vote we keep it.

5. NoleNBlue

NoleNBlue Walk On

i use them very sparingly as well. the programmers said that if you balk on a promise, it'll kill your coach prestige and in a league like this one, coach prestige can be huge.

6. bfruchey

bfruchey Walk On

I agree on not banning them. If proximity to home it a D- for a kid I'm not going to mess with it and I'm either going to make a promise or change the topic. It's useful and I don't think it's too powerful.

7. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

Yes it's just a useful tool in the strategy of recruiting.