Promoting Free Agency - from Suggestion Thread

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Promoting Free Agency - from Suggestion Thread

I'm sort of putting together a smattering of ideas from different people of the thread. I will highlight things that I think are going to be "hot button topics". Here is what I have put together:

Off Season Rules

Teams must trim rosters down to 45 during the offseason. This is the ONLY time they are to be below the league minimum of 53 players.

This trimming of rosters is NOT whomever an owner wishes. The owner must first take the top fourteen (14) players on their roster (offense, defense, special teams together) and get an average number of those 14 players (round up).

Of those 14 top players, the following occurs:
    1. The owner picks 3 players that are completely protected from any type of free agency/cuts.
    2. The owner picks 3 other players that are "restricted" free agents. These players must be listed on a list (probably separate forum) and can be bid on like any other free agent under normal rules. However, the owner of a restricted free agent, once a team bids and wins a bid, the owner can then match the bid, retaining the player.
    3. Of the remaining 8 players, one of those MUST be cut into the free agency pool. This player MUST be of a value overall at least the average of the 14 best players on the team.

Example: My best players are 99, 95, 94, 88, 87, 84, 84, 82, 81, 80, 79, 79, 78, 77. The average is 84.7 (round to 85). I must cut one of the players of 85 or more into the free agent pool; however, I can protect my 99, 95, and 94 overall, and place my 88 and two 84 players as restricted free agents, keeping a good nucleus together while still making free agency exciting.

4. The player described in step 3 is part of the cut-down to 45 players. The total number of cap points cut is 10% of the cap from that year, rounded up.

Example: Using this year, I would cut that 87 player (8 points) and would have to cut 26 more points among my remaining players.

There would be one rule already in place that, with this system, would have to be modifed (which, obviously, would require a vote). This is:

Free agents, after 1 full year with a team, are paid their overall value for the remainder of their time with that team.

Let me know what you guys think of this, good or bad. It's got a bit of math to it, so I tried to simplify it where I could.

2. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

imo just way way way too confusing and hard to track if you or someone who knows and wants to keep track of that would leave.

imo we require a certain amount of points to be cut from each team OR a certain amount of players from a certain overall rating. Then teams are given some franchise tags and restricts tags that work just like the real NFL. and then players are bid on like they are now.

I know I do like the talk and we have plenty of time to figure this out and i think we should keep putting things together till we get something that works.

Its not that I dont like your idea, it just seems VERY confusing for ppl to follow and board members to keep track of.

3. Branden

Branden Walk On

thts a whole lot of stuff to remember not so sure on this

4. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I agree; it is a lot. But this is a smattering of everything we have been talking about and I put it together in one post.

Maybe we as a board should talk how we can make it simpler. Like I said in another post, I like management like this, but I'm a numbers nerd. Most people aren't like me.

A lot of people liked the average idea and cutting people in a certain range. I personally am not a fan of "must cut such and such of this overall range", but I'm open to discussing it if it helps the league overall. I also like the "franchise" and "restricted" ideas. Perhaps we can hammer out some things between us while keeping an eye on the suggestion thread to see if more good ideas keep coming for this.

5. savaunte

savaunte Oakland Raiders

This is a tough one. I dont want this league to have stacked teams, yet..I dont want to force people to get rid of certain players just for cause.

Maybe we should just take a step back from this for now, and get through our first season and off-season before we make any knee-jerk decisions.

I mean, we dont know how much a players rating will go up or down, what players will retire, what players will hold-out(if thats even an option)...my point is...we just dont know cause we havent experienced an off-season yet.

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

That is not a bad idea actually. The off-season is the great unknown, and until at least one of us experiences it firsthand, we won't know how to handle it.

7. natedawg212000

we need to keep discussing this.

8. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Problem with continuing discussion is that we don't know how the offseason rolls. If anyone finds out, we can then make more educated input on how to handle making teams even.

9. natedawg212000

can someone just make a online franny by yourself and just advance it and see?

10. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I thought about trying that. Trouble is that you cannot advance a week faster than 30 minutes at a time. So a whole season could conceivably be done in a day, but not without skipping sleep. lol

However, I got some numbers working that might be easier to understand, hopefully. It'll be in another post.

11. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

New Thought about Free Agency Postseason

Okay, gonna take a bit from my previous starting post and see where it goes from there.

Off Season Schedule

Teams must trim rosters down to 45 during the offseason. This is the ONLY time they are to be below the league minimum of 53 players.

The trimming of rosters is done in the following manner:

Owners add up the overall values of all players on their offense, including the kicker. Owners then add up the overall values of their defense, including the punter. They then divide these totals by the number of players on that side of the ball to get an average value of that side of the ball (rounding as appropriate to nearest whole number). See below for an example:

The Kansas City Chiefs have a total of 29 players on offense, including the kicker. The total of all of those 29 players' overall values is 2060. Dividing those two numbers, I get 71.05 (round down in this case to 71).

The Kansas City Chiefs have a total of 26 players on defense, including the punter. The total of all those 26 players' overall values is 1755. Dividing those two numbers, I get 67.5 (round up in this case to 68).

The owner then makes choices based on the average of offense and defense.

On either side of the ball (both offense and defense), the owner can COMPLETELY protect two (2) players that are at or above the average on that side of the ball with "franchise" tags. The owner can then designate two (2) other players to be "restricted free agents". These "restricted free agents" go into the free agent pool, BUT the team owning their "rights" can simply match the winning bid of a team and can keep that player at that price. Lastly, the owner must CUT two players that are at or above the average on that side of the ball at MINIMUM.

I'll continue with my team as an example.

On offense, I choose to franchise Dwayne Bowe (ovr 87) and Brendan Albert (ovr 84). They are untouchable. I then choose Brian Waters (ovr 94) and Mike Goff (ovr 80) as "restricted free agents", players who, when won by another team, I can simply match the bid and keep the player. I then choose Ryan Tucker (ovr 78) and Bobby Engram (ovr 76) to CUT as the mandatory cuts.

I'll skip the defense part as I think you get the idea. But that brings me to my next rule:
    Players must cut X amount of points minimum from his roster as well as trimming to 45 players.

I state X because the number I think we need to talk about, as well as the roster minimum during the offseason. 45 is a bit low and forces a ton of people to participate in a lot of free agency. I would think 48 to 50 would force a bit of good cuts as well as force all owners to participate in free agency to get back up to 53 players.

It's still a lot of math, but I think it's a bit easier to manage than before. Let me know what you all think. Also, to entice discussion, should we figure out the averages AFTER the draft, or BEFORE the draft and progression?

12. Branden

Branden Walk On

im sorry win but im lost on this one am i right that the total of the 6 players kept, and cut equal the average you get

13. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Basically, I have to franchise 2 players, Restrict free agency on 2 players, and cut two players above the average on offense, and the same on defense. Any other cuts I make beyond those first two can be below the average. Just the first two cuts have to be at or above the average for that side of the ball.

Does that help clear it up a bit?

14. natedawg212000

we also need more input on this. ill respond here shortly

15. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Wanted to bump this to maybe fire up some discussion again on this issue.

16. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Bumping to top to possibly generate some kind of discussion. It's getting closer people!

17. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Okay, I am trying to simplify the system I started this thread with. Here it is, a brand new, sort of, set up:

Offseason OMFL

First thing to do is owners take their top 10 players on offense and defense and figure the average value of just those 10 players. Here's an example from my team:

Offense:
    Dwayne Bowe (87)
    Brendan Albert (84)
    Kerry Collins (79)
    Ryan Tucker (78)
    Earnest Graham (78)
    Naufahu Tahi (78)
    David Thomas (75)
    Melvin Fowler (74)
    Andy Alleman (74)
    Sean Ryan (72)

Average of these players: 77.8 (round up to 78)

Defense:
    Darren Sharper (87)
    Kyle Vanden Bosch (87)
    Derrick Johnson (83)
    Tyson Jackson (77)
    Brandon Flowers (77)
    Demorrio Williams (72)
    Zak DeOssie (72)
    Quentin Groves (70)
    Kendrick Clancy (69)

Average of these players: 76.5 (round up to 77)

Okay, now I look at each list and make the following decisions:
    1. CUT 1 player at or above the average top 10
    2. CUT 1 player at orbelow the average top 10, but in the top 10 (has to be a guy on the list below the average)
    3. RESTRICT 1 player at or above the average top 10(see below for description)
    4. RESTRICT 1 player at or below the average top 10, but in the top 10 (has to be a guy on the list below the average, see below for description of restricted)
    5. FRANCHISE 1 player at or above average top 10

Here's more examples:

Off my offense list, I cut Kerry Collins (79) for my above average cut, and Andy Alleman (74) for my below average cut. I then restrict Naufahu Tahi (78) for my above average restriction, and David Thomas (75) for my below average restriction. I then franchise Dwayne Bowe (87).

Off my defense list, I cut Kyle Vanden Bosch (87) for my above average cut, and Demorrio Williams (72) for my below average cut. I then restrict Darren Sharper (87) for my above average restriction, and Brandon Carr (71) for my below average restriction. I then franchise Tyson Jackson (77).

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

Restricted free agents are guys that the team owning them has right to match abilities. These players are able to be bid on by any owner. However, once an owner has "won" the bid, the owner having the restricted player on their roster has 24 hours to match the bid to keep the player.

Example: I restrict Darren Sharper, putting him into free agency. Another team wins a bid on him for 20 points. I have 24 hours from the time that win is listed on the forums to match the bid of 20 points to keep Darren Sharper. If I do then he stays under contract for me for 20 points, and all free agency trading/cut rules apply to him.

Okay, gone over all examples and preparations for offseason. Now I have to say why we are cutting players!

Teams must cut down to 45 players (either before or after draft, still not sure). They must cut 10% of the total cap in points from their roster.

Example: Cap is currently 335. Teams must cut 34 points from their roster, and cut down to 45 players during the offseason.

Another rule to add to this setup as well:

Any free agents signed in previous seasons become a full roster member IF their overall goes up or down to take them into a new cap bracket number. By becoming a full roster member, this means that cutting the player will not cause cap hits as normal free agents do. The player's point value is EITHER the cost of the free agent contract OR his new overall cap value, whichever is HIGHER.

Example 1: My player, Ian Johnson, is a 65 overall that I paid 4 points for in free agency. Let's say next year he goes up in overall to a 70 overall. That takes him from the 4 point bracket to 6 point bracket. His point value goes up to 6; however, he is now a permanent part of the roster.

Example 2: Another player of mine, Earnest Graham, is a 78 overall that I paid 8 points for in free agency. Let's say next year he goes down to a 70 overall. That takes him down to a 6 point cap value from his normal value of 8. He is now a permanent player on my roster; however, I still pay 8 points for him since that is what I paid for him originally.

I tried to simplify it, but there are still a lot of rules. Barring any other ideas here, we really need to figure SOMETHING out. I know it seems complicated, but this is as simple as I can make it short of just cutting everyone and resigning people.

18. natedawg212000

I donno guys. I am all for figuring a system out, but mix that with a draft and the offseason is gonna take a month to figure out. I am all for trying to come up with something, but imo its gotta be easy. in a normal online franchise that has a cap you just don't see many free agents. most of the moves are done via draft and trades. IMO thats way way too many players that will hit the free agent market. I will go with it, if we decide as a board, but as of now thats too confusing, too long, too much.

19. natedawg212000

I was all for everything, until I got that all teams must cut down to 45 players and 10% cap. Thats where it just got to be too much to me. What if we just done the above system. That now cuts 10 players. 4 restricted, 2 franchise, and 4 others. What if we done your suggestion bobby, except give out 5 restricted tags, 1 franchise tag and tell them they have to cut 10 players. 5 offense, 5 defense, and they can put the tags where they want them. The one franchise is untouchable and stays on their team, the 5 restricted get put in fa's, but they get the last call and the other 4 players are just cut. Thats Cutting 9 from their team into fa's which puts their team at 44 or more players before the draft starts. This way if a team wants to keep all its offense and let its defense walk, then they can make that call, or vise versa. Follow me? This imo, give us a ton of free agents, with a not too confusing, too much work system.

thoughts?

20. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

I say do away with the restricted and franchise tags and just have each team cut a certain amount of players at a certain overall rating. I tried to read the franchise/restricted players part 3 times and got confused everytime. Take an average of the top 10 players on offense and defense and force teams to cut 1 player at or above average on both sides. This would put 64 players with good ratings,75+, in the FA pool. That would be 1000% better than what was in the pool when we started the game. Plus, with progression teams will be forced to cut more players just to stay under the cap. Easy to track, easy for owners to understand, easy all-around.

I(Vikings) have a high cap number and I would be forced to cut, an offensive player rated 85 or better and a defensive player of 86 or better. IMO, thats 2 great players into the FA just from one team. This would suffice in good players being available for the lower end teams to grab thus bringing about parity.

Also, each team will have 7 draft picks to sign causing even more players to be realeased into the FA pool. thats nine players per team, 32 x9=288 new players into the FA pool.

21. natedawg212000

the restricted and franchise tags are not confusing. they work just like real nfl tags. franchise tag means that player is untouchable that offseason, and a restricted tag means they are released and go into the pool, but the owner has 24 hours after the winning bid is made to match. if no bids are made then they get the player back.

22. natedawg212000

btw, i am fine with either of the two suggestions, tags are just release one on each side per overall.

23. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I like simple. But do we want to do just top 10 on either side of the ball, or the entire offense and entire defense?

Jeremy's idea is easy to understand. I still say we should cut a certain percentage of cap in players though, but whatever is good for teh group.

24. natedawg212000

ok. this is getting confusing. lets vote.

A...we go with winuvas's idea of top 10 O and top 10 D. Well you can read what he wants here:
    Offseason OMFL

First thing to do is owners take their top 10 players on offense and defense and figure the average value of just those 10 players. Here's an example from my team:

Offense:
    Dwayne Bowe (87)
    Brendan Albert (84)
    Kerry Collins (79)
    Ryan Tucker (78)
    Earnest Graham (78)
    Naufahu Tahi (78)
    David Thomas (75)
    Melvin Fowler (74)
    Andy Alleman (74)
    Sean Ryan (72)

Average of these players: 77.8 (round up to 78)

Defense:
    Darren Sharper (87)
    Kyle Vanden Bosch (87)
    Derrick Johnson (83)
    Tyson Jackson (77)
    Brandon Flowers (77)
    Demorrio Williams (72)
    Zak DeOssie (72)
    Quentin Groves (70)
    Kendrick Clancy (69)

Average of these players: 76.5 (round up to 77)

Okay, now I look at each list and make the following decisions:
    1. CUT 1 player at or above the average top 10
    2. CUT 1 player at orbelow the average top 10, but in the top 10 (has to be a guy on the list below the average)
    3. RESTRICT 1 player at or above the average top 10(see below for description)
    4. RESTRICT 1 player at or below the average top 10, but in the top 10 (has to be a guy on the list below the average, see below for description of restricted)
    5. FRANCHISE 1 player at or above average top 10

Here's more examples:

Off my offense list, I cut Kerry Collins (79) for my above average cut, and Andy Alleman (74) for my below average cut. I then restrict Naufahu Tahi (78) for my above average restriction, and David Thomas (75) for my below average restriction. I then franchise Dwayne Bowe (87).

Off my defense list, I cut Kyle Vanden Bosch (87) for my above average cut, and Demorrio Williams (72) for my below average cut. I then restrict Darren Sharper (87) for my above average restriction, and Brandon Carr (71) for my below average restriction. I then franchise Tyson Jackson (77).

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

Restricted free agents are guys that the team owning them has right to match abilities. These players are able to be bid on by any owner. However, once an owner has "won" the bid, the owner having the restricted player on their roster has 24 hours to match the bid to keep the player.

Example: I restrict Darren Sharper, putting him into free agency. Another team wins a bid on him for 20 points. I have 24 hours from the time that win is listed on the forums to match the bid of 20 points to keep Darren Sharper. If I do then he stays under contract for me for 20 points, and all free agency trading/cut rules apply to him.

Okay, gone over all examples and preparations for offseason. Now I have to say why we are cutting players!

Teams must cut down to 45 players (either before or after draft, still not sure). They must cut 10% of the total cap in points from their roster.

Example: Cap is currently 335. Teams must cut 34 points from their roster, and cut down to 45 players during the offseason.

Another rule to add to this setup as well:

Any free agents signed in previous seasons become a full roster member IF their overall goes up or down to take them into a new cap bracket number. By becoming a full roster member, this means that cutting the player will not cause cap hits as normal free agents do. The player's point value is EITHER the cost of the free agent contract OR his new overall cap value, whichever is HIGHER.

Example 1: My player, Ian Johnson, is a 65 overall that I paid 4 points for in free agency. Let's say next year he goes up in overall to a 70 overall. That takes him from the 4 point bracket to 6 point bracket. His point value goes up to 6; however, he is now a permanent part of the roster.

Example 2: Another player of mine, Earnest Graham, is a 78 overall that I paid 8 points for in free agency. Let's say next year he goes down to a 70 overall. That takes him down to a 6 point cap value from his normal value of 8. He is now a permanent player on my roster; however, I still pay 8 points for him since that is what I paid for him originally.

I tried to simplify it, but there are still a lot of rules. Barring any other ideas here, we really need to figure SOMETHING out. I know it seems complicated, but this is as simple as I can make it short of just cutting everyone and resigning people.

If you want that one then vote "A"

B...My idea if similar to Winuvas's.
    You take the overall of the top 10 O and top 10 D. They must cut 4 above and 4 below overall average on offense or defense (their choice). These players are free agents, but they will have 4 Restricted and 1 Franchise Tag to hand out. 1 Franchise Tag is given to the player who is untouchable and is back on that team. 4 Restricted are handed out between the other 7 players. These 4 Restricted players are free agents and can be bid on. 24 hours after the winning bid the team who has the Restricted Tag on the player can match or decide to release the player.

This will put at least 3 players from each team into Free Agency that can not be matched and 4 more from each team that can be matched.

Plus what teams will release after the draft due to too many players.

If you like this idea vote 'B'

C...Jeremys way: Take an average of the top 10 players on offense and defense and force teams to cut 1 player at or above average on both sides. This would put 64 players with good ratings,75+, in the FA pool. That would be 1000% better than what was in the pool when we started the game. Plus, with progression teams will be forced to cut more players just to stay under the cap. Easy to track, easy for owners to understand, easy all-around.

If you like this idea then vote 'C'.

25. natedawg212000

My vote is B. I think this is a nice compromise between both the confusing and easy suggestions. This makes it more realistic and teams will have to 'think' about what FA's to go after.