Proposal to Raise Salary Cap Ceiling

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Keller, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

After looking over my roster, as well as others, its become abundantly clear that people are going to be forced to make some really, really challenging decisions this offseason.

Upon my first perusal of my roster, for example, I have 18 players up for a new contract. In order to leave myself with enough cap space for the draft, as well as some for free agency, I am only signing 7 players.

That means I am releasing 3 starters and 4 players who contributed significantly this season.

Anyway, my point isn't to tell you a sob story - its to make you all aware of some of the challenges of this off-season. In the past, we have raised the cap between 10-20$ in order to relieve some of the additional pressure created by this offseason. However, as this is quite a momentous change, I need your guys' feedback first.

Please take a look at your spreadsheets and count how many players you need to re-sign this season. I expect many of you to have the same, if not more players up for new contracts. Once you start doing the math on how much its going to take in order to put your team back together, you should begin to see what I'm talking about.

Let me know where you guys stand on the proposal and further, how much you think the cap should go up.

2. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I think so, because all of the first year rookies are now up, and they are going to start putting a crunch on team caps

3. stryder24

stryder24 Walk On

i resigned 2 of my rookies at the beginning of the season and therefore was limited in FA because I wanted to make sure I had enough room to accommodate them next year. So kind of on the fence on this.... As long as the Cap raise in minimal then I guess I would be okay with it... but I released some good players last year and again was limited in FA to try and stay under the cap... so just don't want teams who didn't plan ahead not face any consequences.

4. sibellius

sibellius Too legit to quit

Draft and FA are gonna be pretty much non existent for me this yea without a cap raise.r J Austin, DRC, and Talbert all need a new contract and all three are cornerstones of my team......and I haven't even calculated the max $$$ bonus they're gonna get.

5. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

I'm all for a raise, if we reset (if necessary in Madden 12) if we get actual cap tools it wont matter But yes Id say $10-15 or whatever raise gets majority vote.

6. capp34

capp34 Say Hello to the Bad Guy!

Thats the owners fault, if you know you have a dominant young player you should resign him before his contract is up and his rating gets too high. I mean some of us have guys on our that have a salary of 20+ if you want to keep your young studs you gotta give something up because they have earned their high salaries. If we talking a major increase im against it but a 5-10 increase I can let slide.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Keller

You also sat out the majority of last season while others tried to stay competitive. Obviously you're not alone in your thinking - but I just wanted to point that out.

8. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

I totally brought this shit up earlier in the year. And it got shot down, cause Seachicken was on his period. For the sake of planning when 2012 starts and there is no built in CAP, I'd say increase the CAP somewhat every year by $2, maybe $3.

http://forums.traditionsportsonline.com/threads/salary-cap-inflation-proposal.52144/

For now- I am only for a max $5 dollar increase. I have a boat load of players to resign as well, but kind of planned for it. FA will be big for some who have the CAP room. Who has CAP?

• Like Like x 1
  9. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

Seachicken3

... must be a politician.:D

10. Keller

That was april so I can understand the resistance. Once people start looking at their cap situations I think you'll see some people start to come around to the idea.

Considering this will be season 5 - 3$ per offseason is a 12$ increase in salary cap.

11. Keller

Max $$$ accelerators will be sparse this season - partly because its our last season - partly because of the salary cap situation - partly because its actually a lot of work on my end. The past accelerators still apply, but new ones will be pretty rare, if any at all.

12. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Being the last season, I dont think we should even bother with contract lenghts and such for resignings.

13. Keller

We will just for the sake of my sanity - plus the very, very small chance that we decide to use something from these spreadsheets for Madden 12.

14. ChickenOfTheSea

[​IMG]

CWT 3000 Can you really expect me to remember how I voted in April????? Although I did make a pretty sweet argument then. At this point its kind of a throwaway season here anyway. So I'm exercising my female prerogative to change my mind :)

15. antcap24

antcap24 Walk On

I think that if we do raise the cap it needs to be a very minimal raise at most. I agree that a cap is there for somewhat a parity thing in our league. Those that were able to benefit from low salaries in the past 4 years should have to deal with it this year.

I had to play the game of dropping Abraham and Gonzalez last year because of max accelerators. If we had a raise last year, they would still be on my team. I feel any raise should not be significant enough that acts as a "bailout".

I would like to propose another idea. If the majority wants to raise the salary cap and we end up going that route, can we release more FA that the CPU teams are hording? This way those teams that managed their cap well will have the extra space to land a better FA. Because if we just raise the cap just so some teams can resign their players, there will be a lot of teams that will end up with a large cap remaining with no one to spend it on.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Keller

We always drop some marquee players.

17. SatansAngel1104

SatansAngel1104 Walk On

Im on a similar stand as Stryder...

18. antcap24

antcap24 Walk On

Yes, I realize we have dropped some marquee players, but only a handful. I think it is realistic to drop at least one player from each of the computer teams. There is no way those teams dont lose any FA from year to year.

What ends up happening, those teams that do not drop players get taken over by a different owner and have a high draft pick and a stacked roster . If we thin out the roster we can have more of a bidding war from year to year, and make the cap worth something in FA. I am not proposing dropping superstars from every team but a least one player that can contribute.

This would also eliminate some of the headaches of Computer trades.

19. Keller

Some players get dropped by the CPU anyways to make room for draft picks. Like I said, we'll make sure we drop some decent players this year - its our last season after all.

20. stryder24

stryder24 Walk On

I would like to point out that you have a small penis....

Thats what Rush said at least :)...

Again as long as the increase in minimal thats fine... but anything to crazy would make the cap management aspect of this league worthless...

21. ChickenOfTheSea

Rush only said that because he needs a honeymoon stitch.