Proposed Changes for 2013

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

OK, here's a list. Let me know if anything has been left out:
    1. We expand to four conferences (we should start discussing team movement in another thread). Keep in mind that is doesn't have to be the Big 12, even though that's what we've been talking about. If we get three in a conference, we'll add that conference.
    2. We keep the StarWatch
    3. We get rid of the individual recruiting threads, and post recruiting updates in the conference blogs.
    4. We rename the "Recruiting Trail" forum - possibly turning it into a strategy room of sorts, like a coaches lounge kind of thing.
    5. We add a weekly preview in the blogs (we can trade weeks between the conference members, or just have a GameDay thing that hits each conference every few weeks).
    6. We add an "Impact Freshmen" section, where we follow big name recruits through their first year.
    7. We add off-season material, (the kick-off classic, the HOF or MVP vote) to help us get through the down time between seasons.
    That about cover it?

2. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Can we make a recruiting blog for each conference instead of inter-mingling the two in the current blogs?

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

We can do that. No problem.

4. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I think that would make it easier to follow, PLUS it would present our content to outsiders in a manner in which we look much more active.

5. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

I can dig this all ... so if it stays as is, I'm cool. However, I really like an all-member recruiting/bragging thread. We have one in my other league ... and it's become one of my fav' threads every season. At any moment a member can provide an update. A big player signs? Week 5 comes along and you want to discuss your first round of commits? All in one thread, so there's always something new to read. I, for one, love reading posts about recruits/signings.

6. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

This might be a better idea, and with all the teams included, it's bound to be active. Still, I'd like to set the top 20-30 apart and feature those guys in another thread.

7. egofailure

I think that'll work just as well.

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'd like to propose something else. You guys don't have to go for it, but it might freshen things up a bit.

What would you think about mandatory offensive playbook changes each year, or every two years?

Also, some leagues are banning some of the defensive books. I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary, but we can open up that discussion as well.

Also, we can discuss pass and run commit. I never do it, but some guys do. If we want to set some guidelines about it, we can.

9. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits 352

Not a fan of mandating playbook changes. I feel like it takes at least two seasons to get used to what I run.

I would prefer never to see 4-2-5 and 3-3-5. I think they take advantage of the games AI. Most leagues ban them.

Run commit IMO is an absolute no. Personally I only pass commit if someone does so to me first. I would prefer not to use it.

Just my thoughts.

10. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'm not sure I would know how to recognize a pass commit.

I also would like not to deal with the 4-2-5 or the 3-3-5, but the guys who use them are not experiencing any strange results, and there have been no complaints.

And the new sliders might negate the need for new playbooks. I just don't want us getting set in our ways and perfecting something that makes us better than we should be.

11. Goose

Goose Walk On

It will pop up a + on the bottom where you get the points for user tackles and such. That's how you know when someone uses it against you. If they go pass commit and you pass they get 5 points I think.

12. bdub

bdub Walk On

I don't see why anyone would ban the 3-3-5 or 4-2-5, because of the way the defense aligns sometimes it seems like they are actually harder to play.

13. the_rhinoceros

the_rhinoceros Walk On

I think the 3-3-5 and 4-2-5 are more stout against the run than they should be. Power I running between the tackles should be effective and I've found that it's not. That being said, I think they are the easiest defenses to scheme against, so I don't mind playing against them.

I assumed run commit was banned and don't use it. I pass commit only on 3rd and long, or against empty backfields. I'm not even sure what it does, so it's fine with me if it's banned.

14. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

The nmore I think about it, the more I think a single recruiting thread is the way to go. We post the tables in the first post, and then discuss our recruits all in one place. I'll do features here and there, but we all stop by to brag or to talk about the one that got away. I'll post the recruiting thread when the time comes. If someone from each conference can do what we did this year and post a blog thread, that should just about do it, except for the impact freshmen thread, which I can also take care of.

15. egofailure

If anyone wants to play me with the 4-2-5, please feel free. I can bet you a pretty penny that I won't have an issue driving/scoring against you. In fact, in time, I'll probably have you playing in nickle and dime exclusively. By the way, this is coming from an individual who sports the 4-2-5 in all three leagues I play in. I mostly choose this scheme to be different and provide some variation within the league. In many ways, it's broken, and it takes quite a bit of know-how to make it effective.

As far as run/pass commit is concerned, I'd like to have a rule in place that clarifies when/if ever it can be used. I really don't care what we decide either way, as long as we all know what's game and what isn't. In another league I'm in, its use was limited, but has now been approved to be used at all times. In my experience utilizing it, I don't feel it's a game-changer. With pass-commit specifically, it seems to make your team slightly more aware of the pass. Linebackers won't freeze against HB out of the backfield, and the defensive line is less disciplined, as they pass rush the quarterback. Running plays as a result are typically more effective.

Personally, I think the advantage (regardless of strategies) will always go to the QB/WR/offense. I played a strong user recently and completed innumerable 3rd down conversions through the air despite the use of pass commit. I'm okay with it's use, for it gives the defense a little added chance to stop the pass.

Arch', if someone uses pass commit and a pass play is broken up, it'll say +3 strategy at the bottom of the screen. That's how you know.