Proposed Rule

Discussion in 'The Trifecta' started by HotRod, Jul 17, 2009.

?

No starting a player >5 points less in overall rating than top player at the position

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    Proposed Rule

So a rule I was thinking about using is one regarding your depth chart. It's really annoying when someone puts a 66 overall player as a starter when there is a 85 ovr player ahead of him. Doing this just because the player might be a lot faster or something. To me that is not realistic if there is that much of a talent dropoff for the 66 ovr player to b starting.

So my proposed rule is:
    You can not start a player that has an overall rating more than 5 points less than the top player at the position. Please vote on this rule.

2. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

I like the principle, but not necessarily the 5 points. For example, if I have 3 5'10" WR's who are 88 OVR...I may give the an 81 OVR WR a shot who is 6'6 just to provide some balance.

3. The Knee

The Knee Walk On

like this rule for a lot of reasons. keeping nothing but speed on the field is main one. hotrod. maybe for wr's you should count the top three wr's as starters and the 3rd cb as a nb and a starter. half of college football uses 3 wr's as starters anyway. just a thought.

4. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

OK so if this is a sim league why would anyone make a move like this just to get an advantage? I want to start freshman and sophomores in a couple of games so that they can improve for next year. I don't plan on starting anyone just for a speed advantage. Can't we just police ourselves instead of making a rule that blankets not starting underclassmen just because an upperclassmen is rated higher. I want to see my freshman get better as the year goes along.

5. Blaza

I agree. Basically, I feel like there would be gray areas to a rule like this. I agree, that it should be something we keep an eye on -- but I dunno if I like the blanket rule.

6. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

I prefer 3-4 points. But as long as the player isn't abused then I have no problem with people playing taller/bigger players for other reasons. Like a 6'4" 250lb MLB thats rated 70 OVR over a a 5'11" 215lb MLB thats rated 80.

7. Blaza

I just think we have to keep in mind that the speed and angles for all intents and purposes have been fixed. With so many different ratings, depth chart can be based on a ton of factors. Forcing teams to base the depth chart soley on OVR kind of takes some of the fun out IMHO. If I have an 84 OVR Senior RT who has been mediocre his whole career with 83 RBK but high AWR, I wouldn't think it would be unrealistic to start a stud 78 OVR Frosh RT with 93 STR and 97 RBK.

8. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    I'm pretty sure the freshman would be closet in overall rating to the senior RT if he had those stats, LOL. I guess though my rule applies more so to positions like RB, WR, TE, DE, LB, DB. Also this is why the rule is proposed instead of just put in place, if people do agree with the principle of the rule but have suggestions on how to tweak it then we can discuss. My goal is for us to be a tight group of players that can form a solid structure together. The more input the better things will go with this dynasty.

9. Blaza

I agree with what you are getting at here. I wasn't blasting the idea, but I just feel like OD's are extremely transparent. Everything is kind of out in the open if you will. Depth Charts can be see by all, and we will all play each other at some point. Take TT1 for example...it seems that they mostly play it by ear and make judgments more on a case my case basis. I just think that this game is more like games in the past where speed isn't necessarily the end all be all. If a guy wants to trot a 74 OVR 96 SPD CB out there, it will hurt more than help him.

10. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    I'm not trying to deter people from playing their underclassmen but just think about it. If people can police themselves regarding this matter then I'm all for it. But this is something that people need to be reasonable with as far as their depth chart moves. I've seen some ridiculous stuff over the years of playing NCAA.

11. EaglesIrish5

EaglesIrish5 Walk On

The whole issue with this is speed. Why don't we regulate that rather then the depth charts?

12. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    I agree and for the most part that's how I want things to go here as well.

I don't think speed is as much of an issue in this game. I mean you see you normal thing if your wr is faster than the opposing corner then the corner may get beat man to man. There's always going to be some kind of speed advantage. My issue is more so taking advantage of the game to get that speed advantage (ie. just merely putting your fastest player out there regardless of rating. If you recruit a player that has speed, then congrats. The speed in the recruiting pool is toned down. There are much less 99 speed freshmen out there. It's more important this year to recruit based on your style of play IMO.

What do you guys think?

13. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

My earlier post was for 09. I haven't noticed anything in 10 that gives a super advantage...yet.

14. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

I like the case by case idea and Hot Rod I like the fact that you are asking for our opinions and opening up discussion on the matter. Speed cannot be taught and it is a recruited aspect in evaluating talent. I think restricting it takes away a fun part of the game. JMHO

15. EaglesIrish5

EaglesIrish5 Walk On

Whatever is agreed on is fine with me. We all know what is fair play. We need to just make sure we realize that we all want this to be the best experience possible for everybody.

16. Blaza

The points you brought up above are the reasons why I don't really think a blanket cap would be warranted. From my time with the game so far, it really appears that EA has heard our cries. I don't know if you guys have had a chance to play with some elite speed guys in the game, but from what I have seen, a 98 SPD is not much different from say a 94 SPD. This wasn't the case last year. Also, with the improved angles, you cannot just speedwhore to make plays anyways.

We cannot forget that speed is an important factor in college football IRL. The problem last year was twofold: 1) Too many 97+ speed guys and 2) the angles and tackling logic were broken. With less 95+ spd guys in the recruiting pool in general this year, I think those problems will take care of themselves. I don't think we will see as many guys who are 99 OVR AND 97+ SPD this year. And if you do happen to get one, he will be truly special.

17. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

Well said Blaza. My feelings precisely.

18. marcman777

marcman777 Walk On

A good way to fix this would be to use a rule we used in the old T6. I believe it was something like this for offense players only... 5 star recruit has no speed limit, 4 star player no higher than 95 speed, 3 star player no higher than 90 speed. It worked great and really puts the speed in perspective with the quality players. This was for offense only.

19. Blaza

See, this seems like this would take out all the variety on the recruiting trail. Why would we limit a 3 star player to 90 speed? Maybe he is a 3 star for a reason? Maybe he has 51 CTH, or 71 STA. Or maybe he turns out to be a sleeper and comes in at 83 OVR. In real recruiting, the stars are just predictions. I don't think we have to say "this recruit cant be good because he's a 3 star".

20. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Right now there are no plans to limit recruiting like that. For the most part the lower caliber players don't have ridiculous stats so it doesn't look like that is even necessary in this years game.