Proposed Slider Set

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Proposed Slider Set

I'm going to try a few games with new settings, to see if I can tweak what we have, make it harder, but still open up some stuff that is now closed. Here's where I'm going to start:

Edited 8/19: Changes in red and green

Sliders & Settings
    Column 1 Column 2
    Difficulty: Varsity
    Quarters: 8 mins
    Threshold: 10 (-15)

Sliders
    Offense HUM CPU[/U][/B]
    QB Accuracy 5 (-5) 40 (-10)
    Pass Block 50 (-5) 55 (+5)
    WR Catching 35 (-5) 45
    RB Ability 45 50
    Run Blocking 30 70 (+10)
    Defense HUM CPU[/U][/B]
    Pass Coverage 45 (+10) 60 (+10)
    Pass Rush 100 100
    Interceptions 80 90 (+10)
    Rush Defense 20 100
    Tackling 15 55
    Special Teams HUM CPU[/U][/B]
    FG Power 5 5
    FG Accuracy 25 45
    P Power 20 55
    P Accuracy 55 70
    Kickoff Power 25 45

My reasons (from the top):

Threshold: If guys get through holes quicker, the spread running game might get better. Also, it won't benefit bigger backs that much, since they have more linebackers to deal with, and the speed difference is less. It's mainly an attempt to get small backs past the D-Line more often.

CPU QB ACC: CPU qb's have been torching us. Now, I think some of this is due to CPU late game logic, which sometimes can be frustrating, but overall, we could use a slight bit of help here.

User Pass Block: If we're going to loosen up coverage a bit, then we should experience the same kind of pressure the CPU does. More pressure = more check downs and fewer bombs over the top. This should balance the dip in CPU coverage.

User WR Catch: Again, another check against the coverage dip. We need some third down drops. Some of us simply never punt.

CPU Run Block: Time to separate the men from the boys. The CPU power run game should be tough to stop. This should accomplish that. If it gets silly, I'll boost the User tackling a notch, but I want to see what happens first.

User Pass Coverage: This bump, plus the small tick down for CPU QB ACC, and we should get more mistakes in the passing game. If we start picking everything, I'll drop that slider.

CPU Pass Coverage: This, plus the threshold adjustment, should create some space on the edges. Now, if we can get the ball out there without getting killed ...

CPU Interceptions: If I'm going to open up bigger plays, by loosening coverage, there is going to be a risk, possibly a big one. More pressure = less accurate throws = more picks = more risk in the passing game.

That's about it for now. Play these and see what you think. I haven't played a snap yet. These are just theoretical at the moment, but judging from what we have done, and what we are asking for, this seems to be a good first step. Overall, I think they're harder, but I also hope to see more options and more things open. I also want to see a CPU that can simply run us over if we're soft.

Post impressions and such when you get a chance. I'm guessing we'll get sacked a bunch at the start, so bear with it until you get used to the quicker reads. Try to play with your team/playbook, against a tough team from your schedule. Might as well get the in-season feel for them.

2. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

i want to try maybe even bumping cpu run blocking 10 more up and tackling 5 up. let us know.

3. brucebond

brucebond Walk On

i think our tackling needs to be increased.

4. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

i'm gonna try these.. they look good

as a side note i tried the speed threshold on 10 before and my guys were AWESOME! A little too awesome actually. So i turned it to 15 and that was great my guys flew through the line against cupcake u but against a good team it was not the same as i didn't notice the speed difference.. which is exactly how it's supposed to be.. good teams normally have equal the speed and therefore you shouldn't notice it that much

5. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

also b/c the run blocking has increased for the cpu i also think the user tackle will need to be raised.

6. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I just played a whale of a game against Wisconsin. I played at their place, just like I did in season, but with very different results. I still got torched through the air (for 305 yards) so if this keeps up, I might bump coverage again.

Big differences:

I threw 3 picks. (1 because of pressure and two I really shouldn't have attempted). One was taken back for a TD to tie the game in the 4th with 2 minutes left.

The CPU ran more plays than I did, got more 1st downs (20 to my 17), more yards (420 to my 380) and won the time of possession (19:08 to 12:52). This NEVER happens to me.

I won 38-31. I ran a pick back 105 yards on Wisconsin's first drive of the game. I played a lot of 4-4 to stop the run, and Clay still went 24 for 96 yards. The CPU stuck to the run, even down 14 in the fourth, which is good.

There were a lot of broken tackles. Wisconsin scored a couple times by shaking a guy in space, but only when they were already in the red zone. If they did it with a long field in front of them, someone cleaned it up. Many times, I had to do it myself. If we tackled better, I don't know if those points get scored, but I can see why someone would want a bump.

My issue is with Scott Tolzein, who is pretty good, going 25 for 30, and over 300 yards. I think that's a bit much against a really good defense.

Still, the entire game was really fun, and I got punished for mistakes in a way I haven't yet. It was brutal at times. If I would have taken care of the ball, I would have won convincingly. But I didn't, and I really could have lost it. I was up 21-3 at the half, and I got sloppy - ended up with a win I probably didn't deserve. That sounds like football to me.

Overall, I like the set a lot, but I know for sure that an undefeated season with this set is a real tough get. Maybe that's exactly what it should be.

Maybe we need a bump to our pass coverage again.
    Maybe we need a bump to our tackling.

7. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Here are some vids from the game:

Here's a broken tackle for a score:

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/31162878

And a broken tackle for a big run (that's me bringin' the hit at the end):

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/31163180

And the game winner (who says we never break tackles?):

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/31163333

I see the tackles broken in these plays to be a part of the game. They're frustrating, but not unreal. Now, if Clay shrugs off three more and scores, or if Toon shakes a half dozen on his way to the end zone, then I understand.

I'm going to play again (maybe twice) with a slight bump to our tackling. I'll even play a base seven man front against 2 WR sets. If I can shut down Clay and Ball, then we're all a bunch of no tackling sissies who don't need help from the sliders. That fair?

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I played it back, with a five point bump to pass coverage, and another five to tackling.

Result: I crushed the Badgers. 48-17. T.O.P. was 22 minutes to 9.

That being said, the run game was still hard to stop, but I could do it from a seven man front. Probably not a good thing against John Clay and the Badgers. Clay busted out an 82 yarder and a 53 yarder, though, so his stats were nice (10 for 153, 2TD), but most of the time, I made the play.

(I think I'm going to try again with the regular tackle settings, and a five point drop in CPU running back ability. That might get the job done)

Wisconsin had a much different passing day, going 8 for 15 for 115 yards and 2 picks, but they really didn't have the ball much, so there's no telling what it could have been.

It was a completely different game, without all of my mistakes, so I think this could have been closer, but it wasn't nearly as hard as the previous game. I'll run another test tomorrow, with slightly different settings.

I like the additional pass coverage bump.
    I'm on the fence about the tackling. We might need it, and we might just be a bunch of nancies.

9. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

I'm playing now.. on UM 1st drive they killed me on 3rd down.. the ran a draw (the whole was huge) for 15 yards, then on 3rd and long again the ran a deep in vs man cov and the wrr was wide open over the middle for like a 20yard gain and then on 3rd down they scored from the 1 rb broke 1 tackle and bull dozed his way in the end zone..

then they complete a 16 play drive and score... 14-3 UM

I finally scored with 50sec to go in the 2nd.. 14-10 at the half

10. brucebond

brucebond Walk On

against K. State, their QB went 19 for 20.......totally burning me.......

i really don't think we need any adjustments...

11. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Pass defense adjustments are going to be in our favor. Run adjustments are probably going to go against us a bit. Our pass adjustments will likely make things more open, but with higher risk. That seems to be the way things are leaning.

12. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

UM's first drive after the half they drove down the field got to about the 4. threw a screen to the 2nd string TE who broke the 1st tackle from the LB shook a DB at the 2 and bulled his way into the endzone for the TD.. FUCK!!!!!!!

at least i blitzed on that play and took Harris out the game..

UM's next drive the back up QB threw a pick 6

UM con't to run the ball VERY well but i pretty much shut them down the rest of the game and pulled out a 21-23 win

Harris 9 for 10 95yards 1TD
    Highsmith 6 for 10 64yards 1INT

Cooper 22att 100yard 4.5 yards per carry 2TD

FSU
    Ponder 17 for 21 210yards 1TD 1INT

Thomas 13att 39yards 3.0avg 1TD

all the stats were pretty much even except rushing

13. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I haven't touched our rushing. We should be running as we did before. Maybe it's just a bad day.

One more note - I dropped the false start rule slider, so we can fake snap and draw penalties more often. I got a few in late game situations when the CPU stacked up. I also got called, but only once. I think I got a three or four to one ratio, and the CPU backs off after you catch them, so it's a way to settle the game a bit in intense situations. I think it's a realistic change for the most part.

14. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

how do i post the highlights i saved? i can't find them..

15. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

never mind i think i found it

16. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Also, UM-FSU is a rivalry game, so the CPU cranks it up all by itself. These games are generally tougher to win because of the built in increase in difficulty, so it's good that you played one, and were able to win it against relatively even competition.

17. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

18. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

If we end up going with this set (whatever they end up being), what do you guys think about putting them in place for bowl season? They won't affect user games at all, but those of us playing the CPU will have a tougher challenge, which is what bowls should be.

Any objections?

19. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

nope, lets do it

20. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

21. vatechhokie01

my only comment is that passing seems way too easy. this has been said...but just saying it again.

22. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

I say let's do it.

Passing is way too easy. No way many of our qb's should NOT be going 18-20, 20-23, 17-19...

23. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

i still cant run true spread running plays. The read option is shut down regardless of whether I correctly read the backside end, the draws are smothered by unblocked defensive players, or nose tackles shedding my center, defensive players are constantly all over my running game. It gets a bit frustrating.

I know you pro style guys are putting up great running numbers, so I don't want to tweak the run game just for the spread. But in all honesty, it is really frustrating when Devine has had several games of 17+ carriers and 60 or fewer yards. I can't tell you the last big play he broke off.

24. vatechhokie01

what offense does Vanderbilt run?

25. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

I think they run the 3 and out.