Pro's Summer Movie Reviews

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Pro, May 23, 2012.

1. Pro

Pro Walk On

Since I am the resident movie buff here, I'd figure I would share my insight as to what I thought of the summer's biggest movies. So without further ado, here are three movies I have seen so far this summer.

The Avengers

Run Time: 143 mins (MAKE SURE TO STAY THROUGH CREDITS!!!)

In case you have been living under a rock for the last four years, Marvel has taken all of their top superheroes and put them all into one mega film. Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, and Thor fight alongside Black Widow and Hawkeye to stop Thor's adopted brother Loki from conquering the Earth with his army known as the Chitauri.

What can be said about this movie that hasn't already been said. It was well worth the wait and has become one of my favorite movies ever. I saw it twice in 3-D and twice in 2-D, 3-D was well worth the extra $3. Hulk and Robert Downey Jr. steal the show, and Scarlett Johansson is smoking hot as Black Widow. The movie has everything: the aforementioned Johansson, plenty of action, and comedy. A must see.

FINAL VERDICT: 5 OUT OF 5

Battleship

Run Time: 131 mins (There is a scene after the credits also)

The U.S. Navy hosts an annual exercise event in the Pacific with a bunch of other countries (my Uncle who was in the Navy confirmed this actually happens) when 5 alien ships land on Earth. Of course all hell breaks loose.

I wasn't expecting much from this movie and that seemed to be the way to go when seeing it. The action and special effects were awesome but the rest of the movie was nothing better than average at best. Acting was ok as was the comedy. Brooklyn Decker wasn't bad to look at either.

FINAL VERDICT: 2.5 OUT OF 5

The Dictator

Run Time: 83 mins (There are some funny scenes during the credits)

Sacha Baron Cohen returns to the screen as a newly created character in what is the actor's first scripted movie since Da Ali G movie. As the supreme leader of a North African leader he faces pressure from the world to abandon his nuclear ambitions.

I loved the movie Borat so I went and saw this movie. Thought it was hilarious also. There were a lot of shock value in this movie and most of it hit its target. The film ended up being than I had expected.

FINAL VERDICT: 4 OUT OF 5

Thanks for reading and if you already saw these films feel free to discuss what you thought in the forum here. The next movie I plan on seeing is Men In Black 3, a review should be posted on Monday.

• Like Like x 3
  2. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

Good writeup. That dude in battleship, isnt he the John Carter guy? His career is not off to a good start.

3. Pro

Pro Walk On

He was in the wolverine movie too. Battleship has made close to $300 million worldwide. It's not his fault, he's a decent enough actor.

4. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

He will forever be Tim Riggins to me. He was so good in Friday Night Lights, that I could care less what he does the rest of his career.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pro

Pro Walk On

I never got into Friday Night Lights. I rarely get into any t.v. shows

6. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Well worth your time. One of the great tv shows.

7. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

yeah it was one of the few i watched. The first few seasons were great

8. Pro

Pro Walk On

MEN IN BLACK 3

Run Time: 106 mins. (Nothing during or after credits)

Agents J and K are back in the second sequel to the 1st Men In Black film. *Can't believe it's been 15 years since that movie* J must travel back in time to save K from a time traveling assassin.

This was my favorite out of the series, and my second favorite film so far this summer (behind Avengers.) Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones step back into their roles effortlessly, and with the addition of Josh Brolin as Young Agent K the series was provided with a breath of fresh air. Good action, including a really cool gun fight early in the movie and the effects were spot on. Alice Eve and Nicole Scherzinger provide the eye candy.

Final Verdict: 4.5 out 5

SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN

Run Time: 127 Mins. (Nothing during or after credits)

Snow White is wanted by the evil Queen, who must eat Snow White's heart to rule forever. The Huntsman is drawn into the mix to hunt Snow White down through the dark forest. The two become unlikely allies in an attempt to defeat the evil queen.

Ok, so I want and saw this movie under the assumption there would be some cool action sequences. While the action was good, it wasn't enough to save this movie. Kristen Stewart, who plays Snow White, has to be the worst actress today. Chris Hemsworth and Charlize Theron are fine in their roles as the Hunstman and the Queen. My biggest problem with the movie was the pacing, some parts would go fast then it slowed down, it kept doing that for the whole movie.

Final Verdict: 1.5 out 5

9. Pro

Pro Walk On

Next movie: Prometheus

10. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

I will be seeing What To Expect for my wife's birthday. I'll be sure to give you my review.

11. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

lol... yikes. good man weave. good man.

12. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

based simply on that repeating noise, background music they play in the trailer, I will not see this

13. Pro

Pro Walk On

I know I haven't updated this in a while so let's get back up to speed.

Prometheus

Running Time of 124 mins.

Naomi Rapace and Logan Marshal-Green find what they deem to be an invitation from our creators to come visit them. They obtain financing and a ship to find these aliens and find out where we came from. Charlize Theron plays the financing company's manager, Irdis Elba plays the ship's captain, and Michael Fassbender plays the android.

If you liked the first two Alien movies, you will like this movie. It felt a lot like the first one, not the sequel Aliens. There was a lot of tension in the movie, but it didn't deliver the scares like I thought it would. Didn't answer all the questions that it asked but I guess that's why they are writing the sequel. Theron and Rapace are both good to look at, and Fassbender as always gives a solid performance. Not a lot of action, but definitely a movie worth checking out when it comes to Blu-Ray in the winter.

Final Verdict: 3 out 5 stars

That's My Boy

Running Time of 114 mins.

Adam Sandler knocks up his middle school teacher, rides the popularity from it, and crashes back down to Earth. Andy Samberg plays the bastard child who has completely cut his dad off and has become quite the success. Sandler is facing prison time because of his back taxes and crashes his son's wedding to get some help.

The movie was ok. I laughed a lot at some spots, others not so much. It was definitely better than say Jack and Jill or Grown Ups. Vanilla Ice and Rex Ryan (yes the coach of the Jets) make a couple of hilarious cameos. It didn't last long in theaters but it's worth a weekend rental when it comes to Blu-Ray.

Final Verdict: 2.5 out of 5

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Running Time of 105 mins.

After watching his mother be killed by a vampire, Abraham Lincoln goes on a quest for vengeance. During his journey to the White House, he is trained in the art of killing vampires and essentially becomes a bounty hunter. The vampire threat doesn't stop when he becomes President, which is when he decides to deal with them once and for all.

I know the premise sounds ridiculously silly, and believe me it is. But if you go into the movie forgetting that you will enjoy the movie. There's good action and the acting is pretty decent. All in all, a surprisingly fun movie.

Final Verdict: 3.5 out of 5

• Like Like x 1
  14. Brettmonty

Brettmonty Walk On

That was a really awesome tv show

15. Pro

Pro Walk On

Ted

Running time of 106 mins.

From the creator of Family Guy, Seth MacFarlane, comes his first full length movie. MacFarlane voices Ted, a lewd crude teddy bear who was wished to life by a young Mark Wahlberg. They both grow up together and stay best friends, that is until Mila Kunis comes into the picture which cause Wahlberg to choose her or Ted.

This movie was hilarious, way more funny than the Dictator which was my favorite comedy of the summer. It's essentially like watching an episode of Family Guy but with actual jokes that are relevant to the plot, unlike Family Guy's cut away scenes. Kunis provides plenty of eye candy, and there are a lot of funny cameos throughout the movie. I won't mention any names as to not spoil them. Definitely worth checking out ASAP.

Final Verdict: 4.5 out of 5

The Amazing Spider Man

Running time of 136 mins. *EXTRA SCENE DURING CREDITS*

The Spider Man franchise gets a reboot with a new actor as the superhero. Andrew Garfield dons the red and blue spandex to become the friendly neighborhood Spider Man, who is on a mission to find the truth behind the disappearance of his parents. Along the way, he meets Gwen Stacey (played by Emma Stone) and the two start up a relationship. He also meets someone who knew his father very well, Dr. Kurt Connors. Peter's father and Connors were geneticists at Oscorp who were working on cross species genetics. Peter helps Connors complete a formula which cause the doctor to become the villainous Lizard. It's up to Peter to develop his powers and stop the Lizard from destroying New York City.

I felt this movie was better than the first three. I did enjoy the original Spider Man, but it was not because of Tobey Mcquire. I like Garfield's take on Spider Man a lot more than Mcguire's. The Lizard was really cool and the special effect were really well done. Stone does not disappoint in her role, and not bad to look at it either. I would have liked to see some more action, but it was a good start to a new trilogy.

Final Verdict: 3.5 out of 5

The Dark Knight Rises

Running time of 165 mins.

The finale of Christopher Nolan's the Dark Knight trilogy is set 8 years after the events of The Dark Knight. Things have changed around Gotham. Thanks to the Caped Crusader, the public view Harvey Dent not as Two Face but as a man who was murdered by Batman. The people still think of Dent as a hero, and this inspires the city to put an end to organized crime. Bruce Wayne has become a recluse in the rebuilt Wayne Manor, and is feeling the side effects of becoming Batman. The loss of Harvey and his love Rachel Dawes has weighed heavily on him, as he decided to hang up the cape and cowl. A new threat to Gotham rises from the underground which is led by the mercenary known as Bane. This new evil is overlooked by everyone except Commissioner Gordon and Bruce, who decided to become Batman one more time to defeat Bane.

I have seen this movie three times now and have been going back and forth on what I thought of it. I like this movie a lot, it is the best Batman movie to date. Christian Bale is at his best, and the rest of the returning actors are great also. Anne Hathaway is great as Selina Kyle/Catwoman and is not bad to look at it either. My favorite actress in the movie was Marion Cotillard, she played DiCaprio's wife in Inception. Tom Hardy was a great choice for Bane, who I thought was just as good as the Joker. The Joker had the awesome one liners in the Dark Knight, but Bane felt like he could actually destroy Gotham. I did feel like they underused him and would have like to have seen more scenes with him in it. All in all, this is a great movie and a great way to end the trilogy. Was it better than the Avengers, no.....but I have always been a Marvel guy.

Final Verdict: 4.5 out 5

• Like Like x 1
  16. Pro

Pro Walk On

Upcoming movies that I'll be seeing:

Total Recall

The Watch

The Bourne Legacy

The Campaign

Expendables 2

17. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

where is the Batman review....i just saw it this past weekend. amazing

18. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

do you lick dish detergent all day? its right above your post.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Pro

Pro Walk On

Total Recall

Running Time of 135 mins

In the remake of the Arnold classic, Colin Ferrell plays Douglas Quaid, a factory worker is who unhappy with his life. He decides to visit Rekall to liven his life up, of course everything goes wrong and he must put the pieces back together. Are these events actually real or is it part of Rekall?

Going into the movie, I was unsure what to expect. I came away from it with mixed feelings. It wasn't the worst movie I have ever seen, and it had some pretty good effects and action. Ferrell was average in his role as were Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel. But at least the two leading ladies were good to look at. Felt like there could have been a better last action scene, as the movie kinda ended with a whimper.

FINAL VERDICT: 2.5 OUT 5

20. Pro

Pro Walk On

Next movie will be either the Bourne Legacy or the Campaign. Review should come tonight.

Also saw these trailers for a couple of action movies starring some old action stars.

21. Pro

Pro Walk On

The Campaign

Running time of 85 mins.

Will Ferrell is back for his annual summer comedy movie, this time he takes on Zach Galifanakis in a Congressional race in North Carolina.

If you are a fan or either comedian, you will like this movie. While this movie does have it's fair share of laughs, I couldn't help but feeling a little disappointed with it. You probably won't be quoting lines from this movie like you can from Anchorman or Old School. A decent movie that was good for a few laughs, but not nearly as good as Ted.

Final Verdict: 3 out of 5

• Like Like x 1