Proving Grounds League Archive(pre-merger)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by geauxtigers810, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geauxtigers810

geauxtigers810 Walk On

Conferences and Teams

Let's get this thing goin! What did y'all have in mind?

I like to play most of my games against good teams, so I usually prefer the BCS conferences. The 2 or 3 conference setup always works well.

I've also thought a dynasty would be fun if each team had a true rivalry game against another user. USC-ND, Ohio State-Mich, Texas-Oklahoma, etc. I just don't know if that is practical.

2. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I really enjoy starting off with weaker 1 or 2* teams and building up. Bashing the competition with a powerhouse from the get go isnt as challenging. It is also fun to do a teambuilder team with D rated rosters and build up from there...

3. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

Ready to go

Moved to other thread.

4. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

I posted in the other thread so will copy here and delete my other post.

What's up everyone. Really excited to start this league so I will throw out my suggestions and see where everyone falls in.

Teams : I could go any way on this but think it would be cool if we had 3 teams in 4 conferences it would allow some user vs. user games in conference and then potentially some great Out of Conference showdowns.

Qtr Length and Difficulty - Qtr length anywhere from 5-7 minutes. Not sure about accelerated clock. I prefer All-American difficulty as well.

I also saw that this site generally operates on a 72 hour window for moving on. That works for me as well.

I have also seen in some forums that they put a limit on recruiting. I would prefer zero limits just to simulate real life but if we want limits, I could very easily be persuaded to change.

Not sure if that is everything we need to touch on but wanted to just get this out there so we could maybe start this league this weekend or early into next week.

Team Choices (ranked high to low)
    BCS Conference - USC, Wisconsin, Tenn
    Non-BCS - NIU, BYU, UTEP, SMU

5. MarcusMeridius

MarcusMeridius Banned

If we go BCS rivalry type I would definately choose TEXAS but otherwise i would be good with UCLA

6. Wellar21

Wellar21 Walk On

I'd say stick with 2 conferences, more user conference games that way making it tough to go undefeated.

I'd probably also like to stick with 1 or 2* teams, more of a challenge. Just not the top power house teams really that way you can actually make your team better.

Recruiting limits is a must, you need to limit the amount of 5* a team can get, otherwise it can quickly get out of hand and certain teams can dominate year after year. Also it makes for tough decisions and a more in depth look at each and every recruit. Max scholarships as well, you shouldn't recruit to more than 70 players on your team.

7. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

Where are the 1 and 2 star teams going to come from? My only concern is that there are no conference invites in online dynasty so if I were NIU, I could potentially be Motor City Bowl champ forever and rarely get moved into the bigger conferences.

I am the novice here so I am not going to say one way is better or worse. I like the idea of everyone being top notch and in a couple of power conferences because then you not only have 2 user games in conference, but then a user game out of conference and potential for user vs. user major bowl games. If we go with power conferences, could we go with 3 and 4 star? Could we do recruiting limits that would be stiffer?

My other thought on using 1 and 2 star is we have no recruiting limits until you reach a certain prestige level. So if you are a 1* you can recruit whatever, but once you hit 2* you have some limits all the way until you build it to the top. Again, just another idea I am throwing out there.

I noticed we have had 5 of 12 teams post here so my thought is we should start to come up with some options so we can potentially put it to a vote tonight or tomorrow.

What does everyone else think?

8. MarcusMeridius

MarcusMeridius Banned

if we are going to use low star teams we should probably stick to 3* ranged in which case i would go with Texas Tech or USF

9. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

Welcome

Welcome everyone, I will have everything set up and rules in place before the end of Friday. Until then I would like to have everyone post a short bio of themselves that should include Name, Age, Hours of availability. Again welcome and looking forward to having you guys involved in other leagues in the future.

10. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

you can realign the conferences prior to start if I am not mistaken. You can also use teambuilder teams and put them at 1*...

I also have seen on some other dynasties on here, that everyone has the weakest teams in each of the BCS conferences...

such as Baylor and Iowa St in Big XII, Vanderbilt in SEC etc...

From past experience, the computer never recruits or plays consistently as well as the users. If we start with the higher teams, they will become perennial powerhouses. If we take up all of 2 conferences, then there will definitely be some guys with much better teams and recruiting advantages, which will skew the competition a bit.

That being said, I am fine with whatever we choose, the weaker teams just offer more challenge and reward.

11. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

What's up everyone.

My name is Scott and I am 25 years old. I live in Elgin, IL, about 40 minutes west of Chicago. I work during the day Monday through Friday from 7-3:30 so generally not able to get online for a game until after 4 o'clock. On weekdays I generally won't play past 10 but if a game is needed to be played late on a weekday I can make it work. On the weekends, I have stuff going on but can schedule games and such as needed. The more we can schedule, the better off I and I think the rest of the league can be. The online recruiting will be huge for me this year so I can play a game and then recruit at work.

My allegiance to Northern Illinois is due to the fact I received my undergrad there. I also follow USC since I just happened to have like them since about 2001.

Looking forward to getting this going. Hope everyone contributes some ideas in the other thread to set up our team format soon.

12. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

John

I live and work in Houston. Went to A&M, so I typically follow Big XII and Texas schools.

I am free most weekday evenings from 6-1 am cst. Thurs nights I am sometimes busy, as well as Friday. I do have every other Friday off, so on those days I may be free during the day. Saturday is hit or miss, and am usually available all day sunday.

13. geauxtigers810

geauxtigers810 Walk On

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I've never seen the point of a 1* or 2* online dynasty. At best we will probably get 6 seasons in before 2012 comes out. That isn't a ton of time to really build from the very bottom, especially if recruiting is as difficult as it should be. User games would be fun, but then you have to play 8-9 games against the cpu a season. North Texas vs Arkansas State in a cpu game doesn't really excite me.

14. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

I am not a huge fan of using Team Builder for this dynasty. Really looking to use the "real" players once the rosters come out.

I know the computer isn't the greatest at recruiting and all but I am looking to have fun and compete against the user teams in this league. Again, not saying it is big teams or bust, just my preference.

I like the idea of 4 conferences with 3 teams each. Reason being it doesn't have too many cpu games (12 game schedule 2 in conference, 1 ooc, and then hopefully 1 bowl game.) And provides some potential NC possibilities, conference championship possibilities and great major bowl possibilities.

Just my 2 cents.

15. Wellar21

Wellar21 Walk On

3* teams sound good, room to improve but not horrible, makes everyone happy. Computer teams seem to recruit much better in 2011, just did my first offseason in an offline dynasty and found one 4 star who had 15 scholarship offers.

Maybe Pac 10 an Big 10 3* teams?

16. geauxtigers810

geauxtigers810 Walk On

John, 25 years old. LSU alum. Usually free from 7-11 cst on weekdays. Saturdays during the fall I'm usually not available at all. I'm also never available when the Saints are playing.

17. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

I agree with you Geauxtigers. North Texas vs. Arkansas St. doesn't get it done for me either. I did do the math on how long a season should take. At 72 hours to play a game, in a 3 week period you would play 7 games. Meaning by the middle of September we would be playing our first bowl season. Now granted, that is if it takes 72 hours every time to get to the next week. So at 6 weeks per season, we would be at 2 season by November and 4 seasons by March. Again, not exactly ideal in my world for doing a 1 or 2 star team in dynasty.

I know the number one priority is to have fun, but to me, fun comes from solid competition and trying to get to a major bowl and recruit well to keep that going. If I may never see the hard work by the end of this, it would be disappointing.

My vote for now is top schools, split among conferences, 3 guaranteed user games a year (maybe 4 to add competition to make sure nobody just runs away with the league) and recruiting limits to make sure nobody builds such a ridiculous power house that it becomes no fun in that way.

18. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Mostly because the AI isnt very challenging. With my 1 or 2* teams last year in our dynasty after a couple of seasons, we couldve easily been crushing the cpu by 100 points on Heisman, with sliders tweaked in the AI favor (especially so with teams rated below B) Every now and again a powerhous team would give a fight. Obviously, this isnt the same as with user opponents. So when we start out with good teams, and play the weaker teams, the fun challenging aspect just isnt there. Blowouts against the cpu every game are boring.

19. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

Wellar - I could compromise to that. Allows the skill level to still decide games among the users, allows recruiting to be difficult since you wont get all 5* prospects, and gives a challenge against the CPU.

What if we did 3 Pac-10, 3 Big Ten, 3 SEC and 3 Big 12, everyone gets 2 conference games, then we could do 2 non conference against users and maybe a even a 3rd ooc as an option if you really want?

20. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

Jmustang

I haven't gotten too deep this year but have year 2011 is better than 2010 in terms of recruiting and game play. Is this true? I am still getting a feel for this years game and that was my first impression.

21. geauxtigers810

geauxtigers810 Walk On

I really like this idea, but I don't know if there are enough 3* teams in just those two conferences. I only counted 9 with a quick glance.

22. Wellar21

Wellar21 Walk On

Sounds good to me, SEC will be tough but im up for a challenge

23. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

The cpu still received 5* recruits in past games and had good classes, however, their roster management is bad. They will under recruit positions and over recruit in others.

gameplay does seem improved, and the first season or 2 is a bit tougher, but given a few seaons we will learn how to beat up on the cpu no problem, happens every year.

24. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

TF:proving Grounds League Description 2011

League Line-up:

Column 1 Column 2
    Umkobras Baylor
    phbaseball1335 Colorado
    Kansas
    Wellar21 Wake Forest
    Harmon Virginia
    Maryland
    UConn
    Vandermint Louisville
    Parkerr83 Syracuse
    NIUHuskies Northwestern
    Jmustang1968 Purdue
    SodaAddict Indiana

General League Rules:

• 7 minute quarters on All-American with adjusted sliders(The sliders will be posted prior to launch)
    • Each member will have minimum 2 User games per year.
    • Each Week will be advanced every 3 days
    • League members must post their general availability within the scheduling forum.
    • Each league member is required to post their incoming recruit classes in the form of a Depth Chart prior to the start of each preseason in the Scouting Reports sub-forum.
    • All league members must post their games Box-scores within the Weekly Summary Threads after every game.

3 Strike Rule and Reporting Violations:

• This league is implementing a 3 Strike Policy on rule violations. 3 league rule violations and your league status will be revoked.
    • Banned players can submit an appeal to me by means of PM, If I deem that it is worthy, the appeal will go before the league for a vote of reinstatement.
    • Any and all league violations should be reported to me by means of PM. Please include a detailed description of the offense and any video highlights or pictures as evidence.
    • Corrective actions will be appropriate to the offense. They can include forfeiture of scholarships, Auto-pilot of User games, and loss of weekly recruitment privileges.

General Game Play Rules:

• Controlling players: You must control the ball carrier at all times. * Sportsmanship: Please refrain from trash talk, and if you must please use your better judgment. No matter what the score is, or if you are in disagreement of how the other person is playing, do not quit.
    • Play-calling: Each player should utilize their entire playbook, and refrain from abusing "Money" plays.
    • Running up of scores and stat "Padding": This is something that is highly frowned upon and will lead to corrective action if you are found to be doing so. If you are head by more then 3 touchdowns you are to substitute your second string in. Any player on a team that is starting to acquire unrealistic stats, is to be substituted with the second string. The only instance where a player with borderline unrealistic stats should be kept is during close games.
    • Disconnects and Restarts: At no point should a game be restarted, but in the event that it does happen, the player is required to post the reason within the General League Discussion tread and send a PM to me. Any member found to have an invalid reason for a restart will have their game results thrown out and the game simulated. In the result of a disconnection from a user game, if it occurs within the first 3 quarters the game must be restarted. If it occurs within the 4th quarter, then the remainder of the game is to be simulated. In the event of a disconnection, both users are required to post the reason within the General Discussion tread and to send me a PM. Repeat offenders will not be tolerated and will be subjected to a Ban from the league.
    • Game Planning: Game-plan is to kept at normal at all times. Changing of the game-plan setting will disrupt the sliders causing unrealistic play.

Roster and Depth Chart Rules:

• Position changes are to be done before the start of the preseason and a detailed Depth Chart is to posted within the Depth Chart sub-forum.
    • Position Changes during mid-season are allowed but only under extreme instances. If you are depleted at LB because of injuries and have no red-shirts, It is OK to move a safety who falls within the position criteria to help with depth. Members must PM me with the details and situation prior to this happening.
    • Position Criteria: Note that these do not apply to incoming recruits

Column 1 Column 2
    Position Restrictions
    QB No Restrictions
    RB No Restrictions
    FB Weight>230, Speed<86
    WR No Restrictions
    TE Height>6'2, Weight>230, Speed<86
    OL No Restrictions
    DE Weight>240, Speed<84
    DT Weight>270
    LB Weight>210, Speed<86
    CB No Restrictions
    S No Restrictions
    Recruiting Rules:

• Recruting will be set to All-American.
    • The league is going to utilize the +3 rule.
    • Each team is only allowed to sign recruits equal to the overall number of Seniors, unless you wish to use one of your 3 extra scholarships.
    • Once you have signed the allowed number of recruits, you must revoke all other scholarship offers to other recruits, unless it is one of your +3 recruits.

Offensive Game Play Rules:

• Playbooks: Members should use team specific playbooks. After the first season each league member will be able to implement a new playbook if desired and only if they have acquired the proper personnel to run it the way it is supposed to be.
    • Audibles and the No huddle offense: When doing so you must allow the defense to be set for at least 1 second. The abuse of audibles and the no huddle will result in corrective action by the league. If you team playbook runs a no huddle offense you will be given a little more leniency over others, as long as you are not doing it to exploit computer AI.
    • Going for it on 4th: The acceptable situations for going for it on 4th down are if you are across the 50 and less than 1 yard to go, or if it is the 4th quarter and you are trailing.
    • Motioning: Motioning of receivers and backs is allowed, if the defense audibles during a motion, you must wait for the defense to set before you can hike the ball.
    • QB Scrambling and Dropbacks: Unrealistic QB scrambling/sprinting is frowned upon on pass plays, including screens. Constantly dancing from sideline to sideline, running straight backwards or well behind the line of scrimmage without being under pressure is not realistic. This does not include option plays, designed QB runs or broken/pressured play situations. Purposefully dropping too far back in the pocket during regular passing plays is not allowed. Defensive AI doesn't take into account how far back in the pocket the QB is, allowing for wide open out routes and passes into the flats. This includes hitting a WR on said routes on screen plays.
    • Spreading the Ball Around: WR's should be the main target for passing plays. HB's should be check-down receivers and not primary targets. HB receptions should not get out of hand or be a primary aspect of an offensive game-plan. Your 3rd, 4th, and 5th WR should not be a primary target. Majority of passes should be thrown to your two outside WRs with few exceptions.
    • Offensive Subs: Keep players at the positions that they are assigned. Unless a specific package has some position changes, like the wildcat, you should not be changing players positions around to gain an unfair advantage.
    • Auto-Sprint: Auto-sprint is to be turned off during all User games.

Defensive Game Play:

• Playcalling and Playbooks: Please call realistic defensive plays for the proper situation. Use a 4 or 5 DL set to stop the run and a 3 or 4 DL set to play the pass. The only restriction on defensive playbooks will be that the 3-3-5, and the 4-2-5 are not to be used. If you run a 3-4, the 1-5-5 and the 3-2-6 are only to be used in obvious passing situations.
    • Moving of Players: On defense, shifting linebackers and the defensive line is permitted. However, if you move a individual defensive player manually before the snap you must control that player at the snap of the ball. This includes moving a player to cover an assignment. No excessive line or linebacker shifts prior to snap, it is imperative that you keep them in their native positions. Using a bunch of pre-snap shifts and then manually moving a OLB in between the tackles shouldn't be a defensive strategy.
    • Blitzing: While blitzing is certainly a part of the game, please be realistic when doing so, and do not use it excessively. Any attempt to confuse the AI when blitzing is prohibited (ie. spreading your defensive line then shifting your LB's to create AI holes).
    • Defensive Subs: Keep your players at the positions in which they are assigned. This means no OLB's at DE, or SS at LB.
    • Run and Pass Commit: Players are not to use the run commit at any point through out the game. It can be very unrealistic, and can be used to corrupt the computer AI. Pass commit can only be used on obvious passing situations.

Special Teams Game Play:

• Fake Punts and Field Goals: Any fake punt or field goal must follow the same rule used when going for it on fourth down. If you are allowed to go for it on 4th down in that situation, you can also fake the punt or field goal. Faking a FG or punt is part of the game and provides "the element of surprise," but please be realistic. These are utilized in NCAA but on a limited basis, so please keep that in mind.
    • Onside Kicks: Onside kicks are permitted at any time by the losing team in the 4th quarter only.

25. geauxtigers810

geauxtigers810 Walk On

I think this is a full list from those 4 conferences:

Pac 10:
    Arizona
    Cal
    Stanford
    Washington

SEC:
    Arkansas
    Kentucky
    Mississippi State